“Something like 72 beers on tap with the option of sampling or ordering flights.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Underground Tap and Grill

The Underground Tap and Grill
10004 Jasper Ave | Lower Level, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 1R4, Canada
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #177 of 1,979 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Hamburgers, Mexican, Tapas, Asian fusion, Chicken Wings, Sandwiches
Dining options: Late Night
Description: The Underground is slated to open on July 1st, and will be Edmonton's first authentic craft beer lounge, with 72 draft lines. Its located underneath The Treasury Vodka bar, thus the name 'Underground') If you have any further questions, fell free to contact me via e-mail at davidhelm@undergroundtapandgrill.com (I am an employee)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is a great place if you love beer. They have their beer categorized in levels: 100, 200, 300, and 400. You can order flights which have 4 beers of 125ml from within one of the levels. My friend and I both ordered from the 400 level and really enjoyed sampling the different beers.

I love that you can get some of your favourite craft beers on tap here. I usually go for the Blanche de Chambly which is often sold out at my other hangouts. If you like hoppier beer try Yellow Snow.

We had the wings and the sirloin tips both were good, nothing extraordinary but good snackables for beer night.

The service was good. It was busy so a bit slow but nothing unreasonable. The atmosphere is trendy and fun and its usually reasonably busy on weekend evenings.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Beaumont, Alberta, Canada
“Not gonna win your business twice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My hubby and I ventured here for the beer selection. Something about this place just made it feel like if you turned the lights up you would suddently realize the place was actually a dive. It took over 15 minutes for a server to acknowledge us (and we were even seated at this place, otherwise I would be more forgiving for a server not seeing us right away). She wasn't even pleasant or apologetic whatsoever for the wait. When they brought our food they didnt even bring cutlery or a napkins. The amount of ketchup was dismal. It was like a half full tiny bowl (size of one of the ketchup dishes at mcdonalds). We didnt expect the server to come back and even ask how the food was. She came back 70% of the way through the food. But only brought more ketchup for one of us, we asked for both of us to have extra. Unfortuntely, this isnt the nicest atmosphere for sipping on $9+ beers. I thought the food was good though.

There are so many options to go to for dinner and drinks aside from this place. So why would I go again? They didnt earn my repeat business.

As a side note, none of the servers seem happy and they all were wandering around looking stressed and frazzled and the place wasnt even full. If they employees arent happy working there, I don't think they'll work to make your time there enjoyable either.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“So Friendly !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Great selection of beer, and staff so helpful it was unbelievable, unsure of what to try (after all there must be nigh on a 100 with the guest beers) then try a sample - nothing to much trouble, on top of this our food (expected to be basic pub grub) was excellent. Went there when it first opened, this second visit did not disappoint at all.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa
“Staff easily overwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Beer selection was awesome and reasonably priced. Food was decent, but maybe a bit too chic for my personal preferences. The main issue here is the staff was completely overwhelmed. They did note they were way busier than usual for a Monday night, and were understaffed, but even then it seemed the staff could have handled things way better.

We ended up only getting half our food order, and had to wait for another round for 20+ minutes --- twice. Our bill was wrong, and so went another 20 minutes getting that right.

I'd probably go back given the chance, but would check how busy they were before committing to anything other than a quick beer.

Visited November 2012
David H, General Manager at The Underground Tap and Grill, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Hi Tinious,

Thank you very much for your review, the feedback was incredibly helpful. I must apologize for the wait. While we are trying our best to find an appropriate level of staffing for specific days/times, it isn't an excuse for poor & or slow service. If we are lucky enough to have you back again at The Underground, ask for David, I'd love to buy you a beer and pick your brain for a bit.

Cheers!