“Try the mushroom mascarpone croissant” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Nashville, Tennessee
“Try the mushroom mascarpone croissant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I was not sure if I would find this type of bakery in Edmonton. I lucked out though. On a sunny Wednesday afternoon, I found myself at Duchess enjoying a dark chocolate croissant and a mushroom mascarpone croissant. I have been to France and Quebec. The Duchess croissants are on par with the finest croissants in France and Quebec. Plus, they had the cleanest bathroom ever with hardwood floors.

Toronto, Canada
“Just looking at the artistry of the pastries adds inches to the hips,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This trendy, comfy, super popular café and bakery has a limited brunch menu but the food is superb. I had a quiche that seemed to be all cream it tasted so amazing. They really skimped on the side salad though. The Pain de chocolat were ginormous, but skimpy on the chocolate, you had to look for it inside the poof of the flakes of pastry. Our waitress was a doll, very French Fifi attired. The furniture is eclectric and perfect for the café. I must try and return place.

“The wait is worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Whenever friends come and visit me in Edmonton I take them here.It's such a treat. It's a nice date place as well as a hang out for me and my friends. The staff are great and the atmosphere is superb. I love the antique furniture. Definitely an eclectic vibe.
It's grown in popularity which means you may not get a seat as quickly as you'd like.

I love the meringue cookies and key-lime pie!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort McMurray, Canada
“managed to get a seat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My sister lives within walking distance, and it is rare that when I visit her that she doesn't have something exquisite from the Duchess. Note that this started as a take out bakery, but has evolved into a cafe (it can't really be called a restaurant). The furniture is very eclectic - a collection of antique chairs and odd tables that all somehow seem to fit right in.

I haven't visited to eat there before, so this was a first for me. We got here just after opening and managed to get a seat. As we were leaving, just before noon, a line had formed and it was apparent that many would have take their goodies home, or endure standing room only.

I had a chocolate/orange scone and mocha; both very tasty.

I would recommend this to all and WILL return.

alberta
“Very, very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The food for sale is superb and imaginative, considering this is prairie pickup truck, steak and lobster country. The passion fruit confection i had the other day was blissful. Many a bakery in France would be envious. The servers are very sweet and helpful which brings me to the only problem. They are so efficient that they are ready to serve when I haven't reached the display cases (there is always a lineup) so I hadn't yet seen the selection. I wonder if a couple of illustrated lists on an attractive stand would be useful? Or something on the wall above the display cases? It's hard to order which macarons I would like when i have no idea what the weekly choices are.

• Visited June 2014