“great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coast Edmonton Plaza Hotel

You added Coast Edmonton Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Coast Edmonton Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10155 105th St, Edmonton, Alberta AB T5J 1E2, Canada (Downtown)   |
Ranked #35 of 90 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
“great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

I really liked this hotel. Everyone was friendly. I had everything I needed. I appreciate their attempt to be ecological by using large bottles of shampoo and moisturizer dispensers rather than using only the little bottles. I also like the implied respect of leaving steal-able items like the big bottles and the wine glasses by the ice bucket. How nice to have wine glasses handy! The restaurant is right there and has great breakfasts. I would definitely stay here again. Was not annoyed at all. Even has free internet!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

A work trip brought me to the Coast Edmonton Plaza. I work for a rather large Insurance company and this hotel is within a stone’s throw of our new office building. It stood to reason that the Coast Hotel would easily accommodate my needs as well as other co-workers for this trip and the future. I didn’t book this hotel as an associate did it for me. First impressions. GREAT front desk service when I booked in. Courteous and friendly. It ended there…….. the good experience I mean. I could write a long verbose explanation of my impressions, but you know, I’m one of those “Pictures Say a Thousand Words” sort of guys. I happened to have my camera with me to take pictures of the new office, so I decided to snap a few and share with you.
Upon entering the suite, I turned on the light in front door and all initially appeared okay. I put my bag and laptop down and looked for a light switch to turn on the lamps inside the room. NOTHING. I took a picture of the plate where the light switch should have been. This is room 1002 by the way in case someone tries to book you into that room. I turned on my phone to get some light and went in search of the lamp…… Found one !!!! On goes the light…. All appears in order.. But wait….. that TV.. Wow – I thought I was the last one with a CRT television – but the ones in this hotel are actually older than my 7 year old unit.. No, I’m not kidding.
You know , I’m not one of those Prima Donna’s either in case you’re wondering. I don’t look for issues, I swear. It’s one of those situations, that were more than one little thing pops up – you just sorta notice other things. I forgave the light switch, but then it dawned on me – where’s the TV remote? NOTHING – checked everywhere…… I called the front desk. I’ll get maintenance to bring one up right away…. And they did in about 20 minutes.. The maintenance guy was nice enough and said – ya, for some reason they always end up in the laundry room. They really should check the sheets before they bring them down there……. Me? “Ya think?” – did you give it a quick wipe? Oh yes sir, of course.. But hey – it worked…
I noticed they had a complimentary coffee and tea set up there. I opted for hot chocolate in the paper cup. I know what you’re thining. That’s not very eco-friendly…… you’re right…. I defer you to exibit C. The water glass in the bathroom. Given the specimin, should I take a chance on the coffee cup’ s provided? Na, me either. But much to my shagrin – I prepared it and was SHOCKED when I was overwhelmed with a strong perfume smell…… upon close inspection, I saw that this paper cup must have been on the cleaning lady’s cart a little too close to something. I got to taste it….. a bit lemony actually…. I didn’t finish it.
The rest of the night was uneventful. In the morning it was time for a shower. I started it up – no hot water?? AH – I’m in 1002 which means. I’m high up… I’ll let this run – it’s gotta come a long way up… 15 minutes……. It got as one other reviewer said. TEPID at best. I turned the shower nozzle on…. WTF? It started spraying the ceiling….. and big time too. Check the pictures above the shower head, clearly this has gone on a long time….(see pictures) I fiddeled with the shower head to stop it But I had a quick shower and got out. I wondered why there wasn’t an exhaust fan. NO need – no hot water…
I’ve included the pictures of the bathroom, the gross floor, the wall paper coming off the walls – the makeshift bracket holding up the towel racks.
Again – I want to be comfortable – that’s it. A nice hot shower in the morning, clean glasses, or a cup of hot chocolate without tasting cleaner while I watch the TV if I can find the damn remote. Ya, I know, I was verbose, but you know what? Pictures say a lot – and I would have probably overlooked most of it – but darn it if one thing didn’t jump out after another. Oh. The Ice machine is wicked noisy too which sits just outside the door. Ya, I’ll tell my co-workers to stay somewhere else…

Strongest note was the restaurant. i loved it. Good food and service.

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

My 20 something son & I stayed here overnight, in order to catch the VIA rail train the next morning. Travel Alberta recommended this hotel as being the closest to the train station - it is NOT.
We found the staff, both on the front desk, restaurant and in the convenience store to be extremely indifferent, they could care less about answering questions and helping. The front desk folks were the worst.
The only bright spot in this hotel is Don, the fellow on the guest services desk - he was terrific.
Watch if you are walking around in sock feet in your room, where the carpet joins the tile the tacks holding the carpet down are coming through and are very sharp - at least in the room we were in.
There are a lot of homeless types walking past the front of the hotel, definitely did not feel safe enough to be walking around on my own.

• Stayed September 2009
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

We had a one stay here on a September weekend to visit family and friends. The front desk staff was extremely courteous when we were checking in. We asked in advance if we could get a room at the extreme end of the hallway, as we had a 3 month old baby and a dog with us. That request was granted, and we had a huge room that fit all of us comfortably. Wireless internet was provided free of charge, and the connection speed was good.

My only complaints: we had to be very careful everytime we turned the water on, as the water would range from scalding to tepid. I also would have thought by the size of the room, they could have put a king sized bed in. There was a blood stain on the bed sheet.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

We have never stayed at the coast hotel before but was very impressed , got a wonderful price with price line and the spot where the hotel was , downtown Edmonton ,was great, and in walking distance to shopping and shows . The new Japanese Village just opened up and was just around the corner block, but you really didn't need to go far as we ate most times at the hotel (has a great breakfast buffet and usually a special at dinner time that we had, which was super.) The staff went out of their way to help us, which I would have given a 10 plusssssssss at the front desk for all the girls there. The lounge was nice too, you could order drinks plus meals if you wanted to relax more, try the hot nuts really good which we got with our drinks Thx to the bar tender there, she was great !!! The beds were so comfortable which means alot too as I have problems sleeping. I could not say anything bad about this hotel , we will be going back for another getaway soon , Great service, great place!!!!!! 10 +++++++++

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Canal Flats
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

This hotel met my needs for the short time I stayed there (one night). The staff at checkin could have been a little friendlier but were ok. The rooms themselves are adequate and clean but need a makeover decor wise. The location was good but parking was a bit of a hike. Overall the experience was ok.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

I stayed at the Coast Plaza for one night for business. I like the location because my business always takes place right in the heart of downtown Edmonton near this hotel and it was within walking distance. The front desk staff were very helpful when I asked a variety of questions about the shuttle service to the international airport. That being said, I did only stay the one night and didn't spend too much time using the services of the hotel.
I was upgraded to a junior suite that I enjoyed. I found the bed exceptionally comfortable and liked the humidifier. The room was right off the elevators and I was nervous about hearing a lot of foot traffic at night (I can be a light sleeper), but I found it very quiet throughout the evening.
The included breakfast was also slightly more interesting than your typical continental breakfast and it was appreciated to have that included. The one night I was there I ordered room service and the stir fry was delicious, definitely better than I had expected from a room service stir fry!
I'll be going back in the next few months for a personal trip as well. I thought it was a good hotel!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Coast Edmonton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!