“Rooms are more than just tired” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Edmonton West

You added Sandman Hotel Edmonton West to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Edmonton West
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   17635 Stony Plain Road, Edmonton, Alberta T5S 1E3, Canada   |
Ranked #75 of 89 Hotels in Edmonton
“Rooms are more than just tired”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

So I stay at Sandman locations frequently and have stayed at this one in the past. However the rooms are getting very worn. that being said the Chop is a very good restaraunt for dinner and there is a good breakfast restaraunt as well. The front desk staff are helpful and the rate is lower than some other hotels in the area.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel in a great location. Rooms are a nice size. Pool is neat. Great service. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The only down fall to this hotel is getting around the actual hotel. No elevators. Just stairs.....everywhere! The restaurants attached to the hotel (Chop and Denny's) are both great and very convenient!

• Stayed December 2012
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel because all of our other choices were full. The main lobby is very nice and modern and the fact that Denny's and Chop are connected is very convenient. Our rooms were very simple and almost dingy. While walking to our room from the lobby I was over taken with the extremely pungent odor of moth balls. I was extremely disgusted by this and made a point to mention it to the house keeping staff as well as the front desk. Why anyone would be using a cancer causing chemical in a hotel astounded me and I was very unhappy. When we checked out I was informed that some children, who had been spending a few days, had taken the moth balls and put them in the outside vents. Extremely unimpressed, more so with the parenting skills but also with the amount of time it took to clear out the moth balls and the smell. We stayed in a room that faced the back parking lot and while watching TV on our very old 1990's TV I noticed that the foam insulation that had been very poorly used around the air conditioner, had come away and I could see straight through to the outside. This made for a very cold evening as the cold night air blasted into our room. The walls were paper thin and you can hear anyone walking down the halls and talking, especially at night. It was fine for 1 night but I wouldn’t go back anytime soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in 131 on the main level, I am not sure if there is even a good room in this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Great location for what I was looking for. Rooms are outdated and smell stale from the indoor pool,beds are old and entire room in need of work. On the up side the staff are friendly and the food at chop is awesome. I had the filet of beef it was cooked medium as I asked and very tender, I sat at the bar as I was traveling alone, the bar maid and waitress were very friendly.

• Stayed January 2013
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We spent two nights in this place, and never again!!!! We were on the first floor, and the first thing you experience are the filthy, and I mean filthy carpets,on the stairs and in the halls. The maintenance department room is on that floor as well and the cigarette smoke billowing out of there and down the hall is disgusting.
The rooms are small, old, and not very clean! The room at one point must have been a smoking room, because it had that faint smell of old cigarettes. The beds are very hard and uncomfortable, and the doors don't seal shut at all. There were a few times people were talking in the hall, and I swear I thought they were at the end of my bed.
We had to stay the two nights because my son had a soccer tournament and everything else in the city was booked....but never again!
I have stayed in other Sandman's and have had a great experiences, but this was a hugh disappointment.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The hotel lobby looks nice, but the room we stayed in was pretty dingy because it faced the pool area of the hotel which was inside. So we had a window that looked on an enclosed pool area, no outside view whatsoever. The room was cramped, had little floor space and just seemed slightly outdated. Location in the city was decent, near the West Ed mall if that's a big part of your trip. I'd go back but I'd probably look elsewhere first.

Room Tip: If we were aware of the hotel layout we would have asked for a room that had a window to the outside...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Saskatchewan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were in a pinch one night in the city, and were looking for a place that would take 5 people. After looking for quite some time, we came across the Sandman Hotel. The lady at the front desk was pleasant enough and was able to help us out by getting us a room for the night. That's pretty much where the "pleasant" part of this Hotel ends.

The hallways were not clean, the room cleanliness was highly questionable, and every floor reeked of cigarette smoke. The "large" room was farrrr from large at all, and in fact, seemed way too crowded, just barely fitting a hide-a-bed, small kitchen area with the coffee maker and a sink, and the tv. The main bedroom wasn't any better. Beds were way less than comfortable, and there were STAINS on the blankets. We went down to the main desk to ask for an extra blanket and pillow for our extra person, and the other lady there who did not book us in, was not at all pleasant.

Not much more a person can say about this place. Yes, it was a place to put our heads for the night, but really NOT worth the money we spent, and we would not ever stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sandman Hotel Edmonton West? Share your experiences!