“We really like Corso32!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
British Columbia, Canada
“We really like Corso32!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was our third visit to Corso32 in the past year. Since the menu encourages sharing, we decided to go that route this visit. We ordered more appetizers than our previous visit and split an entree.

We had an antipasti special that was a ravioli with an egg yolk baked in to it, which was quite delicious, and the house-made goat ricotta, a dish we'd had and enjoyed before. For our shared entree we ordered the beef cheek, which wasn't as good as the four other entrees we've had there previously. It reminded me of a slow-cooked pot roast, served on a bed of polenta. It was alright, but possibly didn't meet my expectations.

We had the vanilla panna cotta for dessert, and it was nothing like I've ever really had before. It was very creamy and tasty. The chocolate torta is definitely a different, more indulgent kind of dessert, wheres the panna cotta was light and not super filling (good if you've already eaten a lot!).

The service at Corso is always very good.

I'm not sure we'll return again anytime soon - it took us three visits to finally use up a Christmas gift certificate, and there's other similar places in Edmonton I think we'll try first.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Edmonton, Canada
“Yes, it's worth the wait!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

It's hard to get into this place, you've got to book a while in advance, but the food was excellent. My favourite thing was the Arancini appetizer. I think I could eat these as a main course and be done with it. The fried short rib was also excellent. And the chocolate torta was just awesome. The prices are reasonable for what you get, the quality is high and the ambience is nice. The only downside is that it'll take months to get back in again, and the menu may have changed on me by the time I can get back in so who knows if I'll get to enjoy those items again?

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canada
“8 week wait for table by the toilet!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I know once this restaurant was regarded as the place to go, but no more. My husband booked a reservation 2 months in advance. We were seated in the corner beside the washrooms exactly 6 inches from a wall, a probably a hand length from the table next to us. The waiter could not serve or clear my plates or glasses from my side, but had to constantly reach across my husband's shoulder. It was extremely awkward, as we could only talk in whispers, but of course could here every bit of conversation of our neighbouring table. If you want to stare at your partner in complete silence and be rushed to eat, this is the place! The pasta was very good, but the waiter rushing us to order was terrible. He spent more time trying to upsale us on the wine special ($95/bottle) Needless to say we didn't stay for coffee or any other drinks, we paid and went to Lux lounge in the commerce building up the street instead. Too crowded, snobby staff-don't bother going!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“Blah Room belies Wow! Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We ordered beet salad, fennel and arugula salad, and panzanella to start. Each vegetable tasted as though it were picked that afternoon. We ate trout, beef cheeks and pasta as our main courses and each item was seasoned just so. The whole evening finished off with the perfect final note: The chocolate torta. Our server was professional in a way you rarely see in Edmonton, expertly informed and attentive. Her knowledge of both beer and wine was impressive as was every aspect of the service she provided. The room however is another story. It is crowded, noisy and bland. The tables are jammed in, which shouldn't be necessary in a city like this where we have lots of, and value our, personal space. Still, if I were organized enough to plan 2 months out, I'd go back, as my mouth is still watering several days later.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Worth the wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The long wait time to get a reservation approx 2 months is what leads to the restaurant's mystic. The room is very small, seats maybe 60 people and the atmosphere could use some improvement. However the service and the food make up for that. Our waiter was very knowledgeable, attentive and informed us the the pasta and carne could be shared. The menu is laid out how a traditional Italian meal would be served, with antipasti, pasta, carne, contorini, formaggi and dolici. All the menu items sounded delicious and not pedestrian. We especially enjoyed the ricotta and black truffle agnolotti. My only hesitation in going back was the room itself. The tables are close together, the background music loud (the Rolling Stones) and the wine list features only Italian wines with a high mark up.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere