“Worst Hotel of the Year! Stressful!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Edmonton West

You added Comfort Inn Edmonton West to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Edmonton West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17610 100th Ave., Edmonton, Alberta T5S 1S9, Canada (Place LaRue)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #47 of 89 Hotels in Edmonton
United States
“Worst Hotel of the Year! Stressful!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We spend a third of the year traveling and this was the worst hotel experience of the year so far. We booked a package online using the Choice Hotel website. The package looked wonderful and was the reason we chose this hotel. Our quote was in local currency but the hotel showed a different price. They adjusted once we showed them our online quote. We travel with a dog but there were no pet friendly rooms with 2 queen beds (which we booked). The room they put us in had 2 double beds but upon opening the door, it was clear it was not ready. It was literally trashed. Reception fixed the error and placed us in a cleaned room which had 1 bed. We always check the mattress for hygiene and this was a real shock (see photo attached). It was covered in stains and dirt. The room also reeked of cigarette smoke even though they said it was non-smoking. We were tired, and extremely upset by this point as the condition of the room was far below standards. We had booked 2 nights. The receptionist handled our concerns well and placed us in a third room which had 2 queen beds and was in considerably better condition. The mattresses were also fine in this room. We booked the Shades of Gray package (for 50+) which included breakfast, but there was none. The night before our departure, we arranged a late check out but at 11:15 the front desk called to remind us of checkout time at 11. I affirmed we had already arranged for late checkout and asked her if our bill had been adjusted to reflect the package. She asked "what package?" but then corrected her error. Upon checkout, we encountered major stress because they tried to charge $170 per night instead of our original quote which was $109.99 per night with the second night at 50% off. The manager tried to justify this because they "upgraded" our room even though our original quote was for that room! It took 30 minutes and a conversation with the "owner" to have this issue resolved which created further stress by delaying our schedule. This experience did not match the advertising or our past acceptable experiences with the Choice Hotels. The pictures posted by the hotel here are also misleading. We agree with comments by Dan D. This hotel has extremely poor management. The staff that assisted us with our arrival (we arrived at 10:30) were helpful and pleasant though. Management should take notes!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for an upgraded one and ask if that includes a newer mattress. Make sure you print...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Clement C, Manager at Comfort Inn Edmonton West, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. We regret about the shortfalls during your stay but are pleased that we were able to rectify the situation and corrected for you. We hope this will not deter you from visiting us again. We all hope for opportunity to serve you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Fremont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Got great online prices for this hotel - would not stay stay here at the prices quoted. Rooms have been done up very well. Staff is friendly and nice - except for one person at the front desk. Anybody who has stayed there would know who I am referring to. He asked us to leave the hotel when we complained about the air-conditioner being too loud (this happened on a Sunday and we were paid up till Friday). The wireless connection was patchy at times but later this problem was resolved. Lot of restaurants and shopping places nearby.

The housekeeping staff is wonderful. The rooms are done up well and the quality of the linen is good. Ample parking place is available - if you come in late may have to drive around the building but there is always space available.

Room Tip: The internet connectivity in the corner rooms is not great. Do eat at Albert's next to the hote...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your good comments. We are happy to accommodate your stay. At the same time, I am dissapointed to learn about your experience with one of the front desk staff. Please contact myself directly to let me know more details so that we can improve on that part. We all hope to see you again soon.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

They have recently renovated a lot of the hotel so in terms of rooms and cleanliness I can not complain. New vanities, some furniture, carpet and bed/sheets. We also got an excellent deal online so that was a bonus. I don't know that I would pay full price to stay here. The staff was very helpful and someone was sent right up when our tv wouldn't work. The only issue we had was when we requested another room due to the noise of the ice machine, we were told by staff that the ice machine was shut off at 10:00 p.m. This did not happen and I was woken up a couple times with the ice machine around 11:00 p.m. and then at midnight. Not sure if this was an oversight or not. We weren't going to move late at night so we just lived with the noise. Overall, a decent place to stay for a night and the location was very handy as we were just traveling through Edmonton. There are a good selection of restaurants nearby and even more selection a 5-10 minute drive away.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the ice machine, it's a high traffic area and the doors do not block the so...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your good comments and review. I apologize for the noisy ice machine which I have told the maintenance department to look into it, as well the information you receive about the hours. Thank you for letting us know. We all hope to see you again soon.
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stay FAR away from this hotel if you can. The pictures on Trip Advisor are highly misleading. I arrived in Edmonton late after a long drive and was very tired. The hotel is in a sketchy part of town. The front desk agent was very cold and unwelcoming. When checking in, I asked him if I can request a late checkout, to which he replied "our checkout time is at 11 sir." So in other words the answer was NO, despite the website indicating "late checkout available." (It turns out, when I called down to the front desk the next morning and asked the same question, the agent replied, "of course you can request a late checkout. How much time do you need?")

After checking into my room on the second floor with lots of heavy luggage (and of course, they don't have luggage carts available at the lobby), I find that the toilet in the room is clogged. I phoned front desk and he said he'll put me in a new room. So I go downstairs again to the lobby hauling my luggage and he makes me a new set of room keys and hands it to me. Not a single word of apology during all of this. So I make my way down to the new room, and about to swipe my card when he comes down the hallway and calls me back to the front desk. Apparently the room had been already given out to another guest and I was about to enter an occupied room. Tired and frustrated, I grab the third set of keys to my new room. It was a non-smoking room but upon entering the room was full of cigarette stench like a cheap side-of the road motel. I go into the washroom and check the toilet. This one barely flushed too. At this point I didn't care as all I wanted is a bed for a night. And this hotel couldn't be that either. The mattresses were horribly wobbly. The room had housekeeping issues as it had moldy shower curtains. The room was scantily equipped (no fridge, no microwave). The wireless internet was so slow (almost like 56K dial-up internet from the mid 90s) it was a joke. After trying and trying I gave up and just decided to go to bed.
The noise from other rooms and the hallway that were coming in through the walls and the door were just too much that I thought the walls were made of paper. I ended up tossing and turning the whole night and couldn't fall asleep. The only reason why I booked at this hotel was because I found it for cheap on a discount hotel website but the room wasn't even worth it. I should have just slept in my car instead.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Clement C, General Manager at Comfort Inn Edmonton West, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
All reviews are taken into consideration by management in order to identify areas in need of improvement. We are located on a main 178 street with many restaurants, convenient stores and businesses. I apologized that you didn't enjoy your stayed with us. Although we are always disappointed to hear that someone’s stay was not to their satisfaction, we appreciate knowing what issues you experienced so we can take appropriate steps to correct them. I hope this will not stop you from visiting us and give us another chance to accommodate your stay again.
Take care.
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This hotel is horrible. The only thing worse than the ugly rooms is the ugly personality and attitude of the front desk staff.

We were put in a pet room that reeked of cigarettes. When calling to report this I was told that was not possible as it was a non smoking room. (Excuse me, I know what I can smell) a while later I had to be moved as it was making me feel sick. I then find out all the 'pet rooms' are the ex smoking rooms. I move into another room that still stinks but has been febreezed. I only stayed here as it was only one night. I should have left. More importantly I should have looked on here before booking as I never would have reading these reviews. Oh and if your staying with pets bare in mind you won't be allowed to leave them alone in your room at any point. No matter how good a deal you think your getting trust me, it's not worth it. Stay somewhere else. I for one wouldn't stay here again if it were free.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate that you making me aware of the situation. It is disappointing to learn about your experience during your stay with us. Let me apologize if there was any confusion regarding our pet policy. We will ensure we use your comments to improve areas which may be letting us or our guests down. I hope this will not stop you from visiting us again. Hope to see you soon.
High Level, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I booked this hotels 2 weeks prior. And mainly because it was "pet friendly" Which it is NOT. Sure you can have your animals stay here, but you cant leave them in the room and go out. If your dog barks, they will make you leave. The lady went on and on about it. Not to mention, they were rude, very very very very rude. And not helpful at all. Yet again, traveling with three kds and three animals they put me on the 2nd floor. Couldnt even tell me where to park so I would have a close door to unload to. Brought the kids up to the room, the bathroom door swung shut and locked!!! No way to unlock it, I was very lucky my kids were not in there. After that, and the barely clean room, I put the kids back in the car, called the delta and went there.For $40 more, we got excellent service. DONT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: no elevator
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I really appreciate you making me aware of your concerns. We take all comments seriously to help us improve. We strive to provide all our guests to enjoy a peaceful and restful stay. I apologize if there was a confusion with our pet policy. We all hope this will not stop you and your family from visiting us again, and hope to see you soon.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Clean, quiet, non-smoking building, close to West Edmonton Mall, Hwy 16 and 16A West. Easy access using the city south bypass, Anthony Henday Drive. Note this motel entrance is on a one- way street going East. Very comfortable bed with upgraded linens. Very good hot breakfast in the restaurant next door. Hair dryer was located in a small bag the closet with the ironing board and iron.

Room Tip: Main floor rooms have supplemental access through well locked patio doors. You can park your car ri...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your time to give us a review with your kind comments. We all hope to have another opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Take care.

Been to Comfort Inn Edmonton West? Share your experiences!