“Decent bargain hotel, good rooms but dated hallways.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #57 of 90 hotels in Edmonton
toronto, Canada
“Decent bargain hotel, good rooms but dated hallways.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Stayed one night on a business trip. First impression from outside was a nice hotel. Entering lobby saw that the interior was dated but not decrepit. Clean, hygienic, just old looking and not impressive. Very nice checkin staff, very helpful and forthcoming staff.

Used room keys to open elevators which was a nice plus for security, but could be a problem with larger families/groups sharing a room. Hallways were also old looking, but again clean. Rooms were well kept and looked much better than the common areas. Soft beds, Flat Screen LCD very impressive.

Free parking lot was completely covered in snow and some people had trouble getting stuck. Saw a snowhare in the parking lot. Breakfast was very good with hard boiled eggs that I had to peel myself, while other hotels have them pre-peeled. good selection of grains and drinks otherwise.

Overall, decent bargain hotel as it wasn't too much cheaper than other areas, bit old looking in the common areas but rooms were perfect for their purpose of rest and relaxation. Would go again, but probably try another hotel for nicer interior.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

I have been staying at this property for seven years now. I myself am in the hospitality industry, and if I was able toafford it, I would live here.The service and friendliness is second to none. I highly recommend trying this property. Right in the heart of downtown, and nearly half the price of a comparable property with the same ammenities.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

I came to Edmonton on a leisure trip to visit some friends and family that live out there.
I booked a room, expecting something basic and bland for the affordable rate I was paying for a prime Downtown location. This room and the amenities it had to offer, greatly exceeded my expectations coming in. With this room and the affordable rate I got: a hotel in prime location (by all resteraunts, bars, malls, train stations and attractions), a complimentary satisfying breakfast, free parking for visitors and guests (which apparently is not common in Downtown Edmonton), free internet, as well as wonderful service by all the staff. Everyone working there was very friendy and hospitable. I dealt with them on a number of occasions, asking their expertise, and each time they provided very sound advice. The hotel and the room were very clean and respectable as well. The size of the room was much bigger than expected, and the tvs and appliances were all new as well. I didn't get a chance to use the swimming pool or fitness room, but took a stroll past them and saw guests who seemed to be enjoying these ammenties as well. All in all, for what you pay, this hotel far exceeds your expectations and doesn't dissapoint. Would definitly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Tisdale, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

We had a lovely suit complete with Jacuzzi, king sized bed and several TVs. The staff were very efficient and accomodating.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

I must start by saying that I live in hotels full-time for work, so I have a bit of an understanding of what to expect of a hotel that charges close to $150 a night.

When you first walk into the hotel, you can see the mass construction that is going on. We figured we may be able to get a deal because we only really needed a place to crash for the night. There was no deal; the price was quoted even higher then on any website. We were so tired so we figured we would at least get a room away from the construction, but we were very wrong.

As soon as I opened my window to let in some natural sun light, there were four construction workers standing in front of it on a ledge peering in. The rooms were so poorly lit and it made it impossible to let in natural sun light without compromising our privacy. I noticed that there was a door going from the room that took you onto the ledge where they were standing - and it did not lock. So any one of the construction workers could enter our room at any time. Not only that, but the ledge was a high drop, which is not safe for anyone with children.

Because we arrived late there was no noise, we didn't complain. But, all night we were bothered by the noise of tarps flapping in the wind and babies crying - the walls are paper thin. Once 10 AM hit, we were awoken to the sound of hammering, shouting and drilling right on our wall outside.

With tired eyes my friends went down for the 'free' breakfast - which we were not told was continental and the quality was very poor.

Needless to say I am very, very disappointed! I will not be staying at this hotel again and would recommend you do the same - at least until construction season is over. They do not do anything to ensure their guests are more comfortable when the very noisy construction is going on.

I called the front desk to discuss the issue and they said that they have signs up in the hotel stating that it will be a bit noisy during the stay. I was very disappointed with the service and the lack of empathy with the staff. It is there job to provide sleeping quarters to people, but if they can't sleep then this hotel has nothing going for them.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
ManagerComfort, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 25, 2010
We are very sorry you had this experience at our hotel, I can not say enough how sorry I am this is how you feel. We are having our exterior refinished, which is essential to giving our guests a better experience while staying with us. The work being done is being completed as quick as possible, and will be completed within a few short weeks. Unfortunately this is the only season that we have available to us for construction, and we are doing our best to minimize any disturbances. I do recognize that you are not satisfied with your stay, and would like to rectify this, it is not acceptable for our hotel to allow guests to leave without being properly heard. I would like to find you a solution that will provide you with the value you feel was expected from your stay.

I hope to get in contact with you soon.

Comfort Inn and Suites Management
SK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for a night for a business meeting. Parking was free. The room conditions were pretty good, although the air in the room was *very* dry to a level that made sleeping very uncomfortable. Another problem was that when I requested for a late check-out, the staff gave me different rates (starting from $55 down to $30 immediately, then when I talked to a different person the next morning, the last person quoted $25). I finally paid $25 to check out at 3 pm, but this seem-arbitrary check-out late fee really pissed me off, and I lose trust to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Lethbridge, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

Great hotel to stay at. Was a fantastic location for us. Room rate was just over $100 with the taxes and included internet, pool, fitness centre, parking and breakfast that had make your own waffles! Don't expect a fancy breakfast, but it is better than a basic continental.

For the value it was a great stay. Nothing too fancy but definately worked for us and would recommend it to anyone needing to stay in downtown Edmonton.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!