“Worst General Manager EVER” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Edmonton South

You added Ramada Edmonton South to your Saves list
Ramada Edmonton South
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5359 Calgary Trail South Bound | Gateway Blvd North And 53rd Ave, Edmonton, Alberta T6H 4J9, Canada (Calgary Trail North)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #52 of 89 Hotels in Edmonton
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Worst General Manager EVER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I am going to list these point blank because I have already wasted so much time and don't want you to waste yours!
1. Pool is closed has been for a long time, wasn't told upon booking!
2. General manager is a very rude person who obviously makes more money then me because she's so much better... or at least this was the impression I was given.
3.There is nothing near by to do and since the pool was CLOSED it was quite boring.
4. The liquor store attached to the Hotel had horrible staff and was poorly managed.
5. The room and hallways smelled bad.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
I would like to inform every one that all our clients are high priority with in our property, and if any one has a concern at check in or during their stay we urge them to always contact front desk immediately to see if we can fix the problem or discuss the concern. Unfortunately this guest was very upset with the main issue of the pool being closed, but we have advertised this on sites since closure in 2010. And now anything linking this property to a pool hot tub have all been removed including the name change of the hotel. We do try to explain that when calling hotel directly we inform the guests of pool closures. We have sent out all information to sites and the call center which is not at this hotel directly. When guests do arrive, and have booked on a third party site, and do not realize we do not have a pool, we always offer them the option to cancel with no penatly. We contact the booking company with the guest in front of us to ensure they are not being charged, and will assist them to try to find another hotel with a pool if available. Like most hotels in south Edmonton, there is really no attractions with in walking distance. I would like to ask this person to contact me directly to discuss their concerns.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Regina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Upon check in the hotel seemed fairly nice. The service at the desk was good and efficient while checking in. Once the elevator doors opened I knew right away that this was one of those "manicured" old hotels. The elevator looked like it hadnt been touched in 40 years. The noises and movements the elevator confirmed this for me. Once I arrived in the room I found it to be nicely renovated. There was a flat screen on the wall, new furniture. However it wasnt until later that evening that I began to dislike my stay. First of all I tried to eat at the Smittys on site which was a bad decision. The ants crawling on the table should have been my first clue but I just took my food to go instead of eating with "company". Once I got back to the room I turned the A/C unit on and have never heard something run so loud in my life. How they expect you to sleep is unknown to me. Once I was ready to go to bed I spent 2 hours listening to people in the hallway and to the noises coming from the loud elevator. I was about 3 or 4 rooms down from the elevator however everytime it opened on my floor it vibrated my entire room. I ended up stuffing the bed cover under the door to help avoid the noise. In the end I turned the A/C back on because at least it was constant noise and not the startling vibrations from the elevator. Overall I was relieved to check out of the hotel and needless to say I will never be back to this property again. Nor will I ever reccomend it. Hotels are in the business of selling sleep and this hotel completely failed at what it was meant to do.

Room Tip: If you are forced to stay make sure you are as far away from the elevator as possible!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Opsmanager0, Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
I wish to advise all our guests, that the elevator was the last portion of the renovations along with the pool building. We needed to wait until everything was completed on the rooms division side, before we redo the interior of the elevators. This was scheduled to be completed mid May, but unfortunately not all materials have arrived. The interiors will be done completely in the elevators, the outside of the hotel landscaping is waiting for the removal of the old pool building, although portions of it will be completed this summer. New parking lot will be the last item to complete the project. I have never had complaints on the noises from the elevator when a guests is three or four rooms down. I am not sure what would have caused this, as it was investigated and noting found. I am sorry we did not meet the expectations of this guest. We are striving to get this project completed 100% so not to inconvenience any guests
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I have been stating in this hotel for many years now. I have watched it grow from a hotel that would primary host the "bring the family of 7" type and crame everyone in the room and steal all the pillows and ammedities and then complain at the end to try and get a discount type of hotel ....to an up and comming icon on looking after the customer. Don' t get me wrong the service has always been "above and beyond" attitude. What has change is the appearence. The ownership lead by an incredible GM who I would have run anyone of my companies have done an incredible job with the make over. I do stay at the hotel everyfew weeks and watching this hotel change into more of a corperate place to relax and carry out my business affairs has my vote as to being one of the best that I stay at in my travels. I still enjoy bringing my family there as well (as the West Edmonton Mall and Waterpark are only minutes away). I would recommend this hotel to all my business assocaites and friends who have not stayed there as yet. For all those looking for a cheap discounted hotel ....go stay else !! Great Job Ramada.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Opsmanager0, General Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to leave us a review. There are still many changes to happen with in the hotel and exterior. We will be building a new pool and redoing the complete parking lot and landscaping. We are presently working on completely the lounge, as it at the moment is in a temporary place. Meeting rooms are being redone and public washrooms.

We look forward to continue serving you in the future, and our goal is to provide excellent customer service, and a home away from home atmosphere
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I only have one large disappointment with this hotel.

When we travel we like to find clean, family friendly hotels with a pool if possible. We also like to find a hotel with a decent room rate.

We have stayed with The Ramada Inn before in various city's and only had very minor complaints (holes in walls). The room rate is always an important factor.

We called this particular Ramada Inn direct back around March 1, 2012 to get a room rate. My husband specifically asked if they had a pool and the front desk/reservations person indicated yes. That combined with a decent nightly rate sold us and we booked our mini vacay at the hotel.

Check in day arrives...March 29th. While checking in we ask about the pool and are told it is closed for renovations until December 2012. Pardon Me? "Closed until December for renovations" we were told again. Hmmmm nobody knew to tell us this 4 weeks ago when we called in specifically asking about it?! Incredible disappointment for a family/kids who had planned on swimming at the hotel.

I further checked in with Four Square only to find a 'tip' dated July 2011 indicating the pool was closed for renovations at that time as well. Which leads me to wonder has it been closed since last summer or is it closed again? Either way why weren't we told this on the phone?

In the end the room was clean, no holes in the walls or complaints there. Housekeeping was super helpful and friendly when we requested new supplies. Our view was of the backside of the hotel roof so nothing to bragg about. The location was good and we liked being close to Old Strathcona. There were also several restaurants close by.

But would we stay here again? Really not sure based on inaccurate information provided to us at time of booking.

Once Bitten Twice Shy?

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Opsmanager0, General Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
After investigating the situation, we have found that the reservation was not booked direct with the hotel, which is miss fortunate, as the client was given wrong information on the pool area. We sincerely do apologize for this miss communication. Our goal is to always strive to give great customer service to all our clients. and when booking with hotel directly we always advise each and every client that the pool area is closed until further notice. We do hope you give us another try in the future
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

We stayed there on a Saturday night in the late winter. The hotel was really busy but the service was prompt and friendly. It seems to be an attractive place for sports teams, at least the night we were there but they didn't cause us any inconvenience.

The hotel has two wings, one fairly new the other older but newly rennovated. I have stayed in both and much prefer the newly rennovate older wing. The room we had was clean, comfortable and well appointed. I always look for value, not the cheapest place but somewhere with a quiet, clean, comforable room that is conveniently located. I find that the Ramada Edmonton South satisfies those criteria.

There is a Smitty's restaurant associated with the hotel that currently has a VERY good manager and I find their breakfasts to be just what I want. This is not a hotel that provides free breakfast.

The hotel is located between the north and south bound lanes of the main highway leading into Edmonton from the south. Getting in and out is a little tricky.

I always reserve on line and check prices. I will definitley stay there again if the prices remain where they were for my most recent visit.

Room Tip: There really aren't any 'view' rooms. I would ask for a room away from the elevators and...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Opsmanager0, General Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for reviewing our property. We are constantly striving to continue great service to all out customer. We are happy ou enjoyed your stay
Morden, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We had confirmed our attendance at at wedding in Edmonton for the 18th of February and had decided to wait til we were in Edmonton to book our motels. The night before we left we saw an offer on Dealfind for the Ramada Edmonton South purchased 1 deal hoping that we would be able to get a room that weekend. I called in the morning on Thursday and was told there was a room available under the offer. As we weren't sure at first what the motel would be like, we tentatively booked for the next 2 nights. We were told the pool area was not available as of yet due to renovations, which we didn't mind as we had a pretty busy weekend. When we arrived at the newly decorated motel, the staff was most accomodating. They told us to just let them know the next morning whether we would be staying the extra nights. The room was very clean, and turned out to be very quiet and away from any activity. The front desk staff and the staff in general was very friendly and greeted us each time we came by. The location was great, because we were fairly close to Ikea and not too far from W. Edmonton Mall, plus the main freeways. I would definitely recommend this motel to anyone staying in Edmonton and would go back again if ever in Edmonton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the back. Very quiet in that area
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Opsmanager0, General Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time our of your schedule to review the property. We strive to give great custoemr service, and continue to move forward to improve ammenities for our clients. We look forward to seeing you in the furture.
Glendon, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

My family stayed in the 2 Queens and sofa bed room. The room was very large and clean. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly, as well as the support staff. It is close to South Common and South Park shopping areas.The price was great for a family on a budget. We will definately stay there again.

The Smitty's on location was also excellent for service and food.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. Our goal is to provide great customer service, and with the completion of the room renovations we continue to move forward with rebuilding the swimming pool and are presently working on up grading elevators. We thank you for your review and look forward to seeing you in the future

Been to Ramada Edmonton South? Share your experiences!