My wife and I spent one night in late June at the Westin Edmonton. We paid C$99 per night (C$108 with taxes) this was the lowest available rate we found on the hotel website. It required payment in advance with a no cancellations allowed.
The reason we chose this hotel was to be close to the Alamo rental car office in downtown Edmonton. We needed to pick up a car in the morning and the location was ideal, only a block away. The drawback was the C$48 cab fare (C$60 with tip) to get there. There was a shuttle bus available for $15 per person but we were too tired to wait for one when our flight landed Edmonton International Airport at close to midnight.
The room was located in what must have been the old wing of the hotel, connected to a newer building by a skywalk type of structure. Although the name of the hotel is Westin, the quality of the room experience felt much more like a lower level economy hotel. Although everything you would expect to have was in the room (e.g. hot water, enough towels, coffee maker, flat screen television) there was a distinct inattention to detail that was evident in many aspects.
Here are some examples (with photos included so you know I’m not making this up):
1. A large box of leftover pizza and related trash was in the hallway when we checked in and still there when we left the next morning at around 10:00 am.
2. An extension cord and other electrical cords are openly visible on the floor. It took me awhile to figure out that one of the cords for cable television was unplugged.
3. It appeared the room had not been properly vacuumed or dusted. You can really see the dust show up on the black chairs.
4. The tray for the coffee service had white blotches on it. It looked like it could have been dried out milk.
Perhaps these are the things that the management expects guests paying the lowest rate to put up with. If that’s the case, they should call this hotel Not Quite Westin Edmonton or Discount Westin Edmonton so we know what to expect ahead of time.
One thing we did not get at a discount on was the breakfast buffet. We paid C$22 each plus tip. The food was very good as was the variety. There was even a made to order omelet station. Yet, for someone not on an expense account, it was a bit expensive. I made sure to eat as much as I could and skipped lunch that day.
One other final issue, albeit it’s a minor one, the small store in the lobby area had the hours stated as opening at 8:00 am. When we checked out at 10:00 am, it was still closed.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Edmonton Hotel
- The Westin Edmonton Hotel Edmonton
- Westin Edmonton
- Edmonton Westin
- The Westin Edmonton Alberta
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of downtown and connected to the Shaw Conference Center, The Westin Edmonton is only a few steps from the best shopping, dining, arts and entertainment Edmonton has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Starwood, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Tingo, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Venere and Agoda so you can book your The Westin Edmonton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.