“Don't expect the "FREE" wifi to work” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn West Edmonton

You added Quality Inn West Edmonton to your Saves list
Quality Inn West Edmonton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17803 - Stony Plain Rd NW, Edmonton, Alberta T5S 1B4, Canada (Formerly Quality Inn West Harvest) (Place LaRue)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #33 of 89 Hotels in Edmonton
Thompson, Canada
“Don't expect the "FREE" wifi to work”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

While the hotel itself is average, I stayed here during the week because I had business to conduct in Edmonton and they offered free wifi at a reasonable price for the room. My room was on the third floor and the elevator smelled like diesel (there are a lot of contractors staying here). I set up my computer and attempted to find the wifi, which is provided through Shaw. It didn't show at first, then only showed as one bar, then blinked out, didn't show again, you get the picture. Luckily I always travel with my own mobile wifi, so was able to log in and work, but it wasn't for free! Next time I will stay next door where I know the wifi works from previous stays.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerWHE, General Manager at Quality Inn West Edmonton, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Wifi whether free or pay per use can be sketchy at times especially when the hotel is full. There is on average 4-6 devices per room pulling broadband at one time and like a busy highway if you get too many people on it it slows down or comes to a stop. We are just rewiring for a new wifi system so this should not be a problem in the future! Thanks for the review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here on our drive from Anchorage to Denver. I have to say I expected a lot more "Quality" from this hotel. I felt a bit nickle and dimed over the little stuff and quite frankly it was enough to make me leave irritated. First of all, I didn't find any of the hotel staff very friendly or helpful. The room was sparse and looked out on a dirty parking lot courtyard. The airconditioner was loud and didn't work very well. The television advertised on demand movies but you couldn't actually order them and there was no HBO. The tipping point was when I asked my husband to run down and grab some coffee from the lobby and he returned with a receipt! Turns out they only serve complimentary coffee from 11pm - 6:30am and then they charge their guests!! I have stayed in many many hotels and motels in my life and every single one had complimentary coffee in the lobby! Not only that but they charged us $4.60 for two freaking cups! The final straw was tasting it and it was watered down and disgusting. We left and drove to Shell and got excellent coffee for less than the hotel had just charged us! Really irritating. I find it interesting that I am writing this review from a Super 8 that is clearly a motel not a hotel. Older, needs remodeling, etc., and guess what they have?! HBO, free breakfast and as much coffee we want 24 hours a day! And the guy smiled at me during check in! What a "quality" experience!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerWHE, General Manager at Quality Inn West Edmonton, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I am sorry that we did not meet this guests expectations.

The Quality Inn West Harvest is a full service hotel complete with restaurant/lounge, banquet/meeting facilities and 159 guestrooms. Our website does note that unlike many of the Choice Hotels we are full service and as such do not have complimentary breakfast and our coffee is free prior to and after our restaurant closes.

We do however offer $10 per day food vouchers with our best available rate if booked directly with Choice Hotels or the hotel.

I am very disappointed to here that my staff were not helpful and friendly but I think the previous reviews will show that this is not the norm. I will be checking on what happened in this instance.

Be sure to check what the hotel offers in the way of complimentary services when booking your room accommodation so that you are not disappointed upon arrival.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

WE STAYED FOR ONLY ONE NIGHT WHILE PASSING THROUGH EDMONTON. We were very impressed by the size of the room for the price. Room was very clean. Only a 10$ cab ride to the mall. Very happy with our stay overall.

• Stayed May 2013
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

West Edmonton was our first stop on our way to a seven day, six nights on the road. Hotel is very convenient for us to start early as we hit hwy 16 on our way to Jasper. Noticeably, this hotel is working around the building but I think they should work on the parking lot first. Infront of the hotel is not paved, no lines and not sure if we are following parking protocol. Staff was very quick in checking us in. Room was okay, bed and pillow help us overcome the hallway noise (some one was running) but was able to get sleep back quickly. Nothing to expect much from this hotel except one pleasant night without a working internet which I was able to use by waking up early. Probably will not use in the future as a staging point.

Room Tip: Book a room located at back of the building
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Your comments are important and as you can see we are listening.
The front parking lot is concrete however as you pointed out it needs some updating. We will be doing that this summer.

The hotel has been under some upgrading our flat roofs were replaced and new AC units were being installed for our banquet/restaurant area. This meant there was some disruption in the parking lot however there is no good time to do this and it must be done while weather permits.

We are planning to install another upgrade to our wifi which will give our guests unlimited wifi in each room. High occupancy days put a great deal of strain on our current wifi which is should be more than adequate however with guests operating 4-6 devices that use wifi and downloading or streaming huge files it doesn't take long before the bandwidth is brought to a standstill. Similar to a busy freeway!

We hope you will return for another visit!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here for one night while passing through Edmonton. The room was spacious and well equipped with all the necessary accessories. The front desk staff were very pleasant and I was pleased to see that the hotel has an adjoining restaurant; the breakfast was good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and we hope you will "Stop over" with us again soon!
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Have stayed here often before in the business rooms and I quite like it but unless the internet service is upgraded I cannot stay here anymore. A lot of hotels are suffering from the same problem as they have never upgraded their service to meet current demands. So if you need a nice place to stay but internet access isn't important this is your place

Room Tip: Slow internet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and you are right wifi is a big issue not just here but in most hotels. The reason is that now instead of maybe one cell and a laptop you can have 4-6 devices which are all pulling broadband. Some are downloading or streaming large files and this can completely deplete the wifi available. We are constantly upgrading our equipment and increasing our broadband width in an attempt to provide this complimentary service.

New technology is coming out that will hopefully help us with this issue especially on busy days when the house is full.

We hope to see you again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Very clean. Polite staff. Need some updating but was pleased with the stay there. Also nice to see a restaurant in the building. Had breakfast before leaving there and was very good and large servings.

• Stayed April 2013
GeneralManagerWHE, General Manager at Quality Inn West Edmonton, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review. I am always happy to hear that our guests are happy to return to our hotel.

We look forward to serving you again.

Been to Quality Inn West Edmonton? Share your experiences!