“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton

You added Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton to your Saves list
Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10010 178th Street, Edmonton, Alberta T5S 1T3, Canada (Place LaRue)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #43 of 90 Hotels in Edmonton
Spruce Grove, Canada
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed here for a night just to get away from the kids on CFR weekend. We booked in last minute no problem and the price is good for the quality of the room. We enjoyed the room and the bed was very comfortable. The restaurant service was very slow and the food wasn't very good for the price. All in all I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Kindersley, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We ended up here after trying several other chain hotels that didn't accept cash deposits for people who don't have credit cards. The front desk staff were very pleasant and accommodating (the had limited availability but got us a room with a pull out for our son )the deposit wasn't outrageous only 100$ which is totally acceptable. The rooms were Nicely updated and very clean. Beds were comfy, good location close to the mall easy to find. We will defiantly be making this out destination hotel in Edmonton

• Stayed March 2014
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We had a trip planned to go to Edmonton and visit family and do some light shopping at the West Edmonton Mall. I hadn't stayed at this hotel before. I did a quick search on Hotwire and after booking, this hotel was revealed. It had quite a high rating and the price was right, so it seemed logical. I quickly checked the web site and naturally the hotel is presented very well. I read a few reviews and see that many of those that had stayed here prior were pleased. The rating high.

Access is easy enough and there appears to be plenty of parking, which is a good thing considering how big the hotel is. Many rooms on 4 floors.

Not that it's a big deal, but I thought that the front entrance was a little lack luster for a hotel. You'll sort of see what I mean when you pull up front, under the canopy. I personally thought that the front entrance seemed too small for some reason. Perhaps that's just me.

The lobby is clean and stylish. I liked that. Check in was a snap, and you could see that they were quite busy.

After check in - we were given our keys and we started off down the hall. I have to admit that I wasn't quite prepared for the walk - but as mentioned previously - it is a big hotel.

The hallways are odd. Broken Cinder block surface throughout. TACKY. The hallway carpet... tackier. I didn't know where to look. My wife's first comments were that it felt like a prison - but less so because of the carpet that even a prison wouldn't have. There is an upside to the cinder blocks though - more on that later.

But that's where the "hallways are a little strange" thing ends. The rooms are quite lovely - well kept with nice flat screen TV's - good climate control and the bathroom was spotless. Very stylish and comfortable.

The hotel is very close to the West Edmonton Mall. (far west side near Simon's) It's approximately a 3 minute drive south when leaving the hotel parking lot.

We noticed that the hotel is pet friendly and the rooms were located in a far off wing of the hotel on the ground floor which was a great idea. Cinder Block construction made this hotel VERY quiet. I only heard kids faintly through the walls and noise was NOT an issue in this hotel when trying to relax.

There are ice and drink vending machines on each floor. And they even had a complimentary Tassimo in our room for a nice morning coffee. The only untidy thing I did notice, was that there were a lot of dishes / garbage left outside doors (quite common in many hotels) that seemed to stay there too long. We saw garbage outside a room when checking in at 7:00 PM and it was still there the next morning when we were heading out at 9:30 AM. WAY TOO LONG. A regular sweep of the hallways around 9:00 PM each night would take care of that.

And I also noticed you could exit the hotel out of the end of the hotel wings. You can also come in this way by swiping your room key. It was wicked cold when we were here, so it was nice and close to where we parked, I also noticed that they leave a room key at the exit of the wing door as well which is quick for those speedy departures when you leave.

At the end of the day - this is not a luxury boutique style hotel. They do offer a buffet breakfast for 25 dollars a person. A bit much for my liking considering the types of spreads you can get in Vegas for the price.

Overall a nice hotel and you will be comfortable here if you have your expectations set appropriately. It is a nice hotel, but I give it a 3 because it's middle of the road. Not a great a hotel, and not a poor one either. I'd have NO issue staying here again. And as a matter of fact, I'm sure I will again given the proximity to the Anthony Hendy highway and the West Edmonton Mall.

Room Tip: Once you find your room, park your vehicle closest to the wing your located in and use that entrance...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Arrived at midnight and the front counter gal was very friendly.

I was placed in the new wing of the facility. The hallways and room were very clean and tidy. The bathroom was also well kept and stocked with all the usual amenities.

The only suggestion for improvement would be to update the quality of the beds and sheeting. The bed was made nicely however I found the bed a slightly on the lower quality side as it was bouncy, and the sheets were on the thinner side.

An overall okay experience for the price point.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I like this hotel chain but for this particular hotel did not measure up to the other locations. I spend a lot of time at the Calgary and Vancouver locations.

Rooms were dated and in need of maintenance. Had a main floor room and it was freezing, the curtains act as insulation. Open them and the room drops 10 degrees. The cleaning appeared okay at first glance but once I'd spent some time in there things stood out, dusty lamps and light fixtures. Got on the ground to do some push ups and there were empty bottles under the bed near the wall.

The front desk staff and housekeeping staff were very friendly, always a smile & a hi when I walked down the hallway. But the restaurant and lounge staff leave something to be desired. The restaurant people were nice but the service is slow, selection is limited. Waited 15 minutes after I was seated to be offered a drink and there were only 5 or 6 other tables at the time.

The lounge was poorly run, tried it a few times with different associates each time. They all noticed the poor service. It has nice decor and the same lady running the bar most nights... service is slow, when we ask for another another round after sitting with empties for sometime we were barked at "I'm getting to you" place wasn't even busy at the time. Typical bar menu food. Had lunch in the lounge one day by myself and the service at that time was great and the had a great lunch special that was a good price and very tasty.

The location of the hotel was a little sketchy.. creepy people loitering in the parking lot. One guy followed me and asked for money, I was buy myself and found this unsettling. I mentioned it to the guys at the front desk and he said it happens, its the area. A security vehicle outside might be a nice idea.

Nice little gym area, would stay away from the hot tub.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground floor and it was freezing. Maybe a higher floor away from the outside doors...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Darrell_Pearson, General Manager at Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear worknplaytravelgirl

Thank you taking the time to complete a trip advisor review of your past stay with us, regarding. This type of feedback is essential if we are to maintain the standard of excellence that we have set for ourselves.

Your disappointment in the service you received was made clear in your comments to me, and again I like to offer my most sincere apologies. There is no excuse for the lack of service and attention to detail you experienced. I have spoken to my Housekeeping, Security and Food & Beverage teams and I can assure you that I will work more closely with them to ensure that your experience with us will not repeated.

Again, I would like to thank you for sharing your concerns with me. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove that we can provide you with the quality of comfort and service that you deserve.

Yours in Hospitality,
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We had a nice stay from the 4-6 of January. The hotel is close to West Edmonton Mall (2 km or so, $10 cab ride w/ tip), and directly across the road is several restaurants and some strip malls. West Edmonton area is a fair drive from the airport ($70 cab ride or so).

I have no complaints about the room. We arrived very early in the day, and our room was ready for us. Fresh and clean, no complaints there. The windows are old and drafty. I was happy with the climate control as well.

We checked out Monday, January 6 and my husband forgot his sunglasses in the room. We were shuttling across town to a different hotel for a conference, and were maybe 10 minutes from the hotel when we realized this. Because we were on a shuttle I did not want to ask that we turn around and go back [if they were found could courier over to other hotel], instead I called the hotel and they transferred me to house keeping. I left a voice mail there, then decided to phone back to see if someone could just quickly go up to the room to see. I spoke with Chelsea, and she said she'd get someone to do that right away and call me back. A few hours pass and I hadn't heard anything back, so I phoned again, and she had left for the day. No one there knew anything about it. I left a message and they said she'd phone the next day. No phone call the next day [Tuesday]. So Wednesday goes by, no phone call back. Thursday I decided to phone back and of course - there's no sign of the sunglasses anywhere. Obviously when I originally phoned they never went up to check. I never did get my call to housekeeping returned either. So obviously no one at this hotel cares about messages.

Don't get me wrong - I am not blaming the hotel for the lost sunglasses; however, if they had done what they said when they said they would do it, nothing would have been lost. And the inability to communicate back is astounding. The hotel was very very quiet (as in not busy) during our stay, so I don't think it would have been *that* hard to just go up to the room when I called the first time.

No pool, but two hot tubs, we did not use them.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Grande Prairie, AB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have visited the Executive Royal Inn in West Edmonton before, and found the hotel itself to be very nice. My room was great with recent renovations, nice bathroom, comfy bed, and upscale decor. The lobby and lounge are also well appointed and present as a clean, comfortable and higher end hotel. As far as comfort and cleanliness, I have absolutely no complaints.

I did, however have a big concern with the very scary people that hang around outside the hotel. Most seem to be homeless and are waiting for guests to come to the door so that they can approach them and ask them for money.

When taking a taxi back to the hotel after dinner, the cab driver asked me about the hotel and what it was like... before I said anything about it, he commented that he had noticed a lot of seedy people always seemed to be hanging around outside the hotel. I replied that I had noticed that when I first arrived at the hotel as well... so his comment made me realize that this is very common with this hotel.

On my last evening at the hotel I arrived back about 11 pm and went to park on the side of the hotel near a side entrance that was accessible using my key card. I had started parking there so that I could avoid the people milling around the front door. As I parked I realized that someone was walking towards my car (remember... it's dark and I'm alone!). A man walked past my car a bit, so I kept an eye on him and waited a bit before getting out of my car... I was glad I waited, because I suddenly realized he was sort of hiding behind the van next to mine and was waiting for me to get out! This scared the heck out of me, and I quickly started the car and pulled back out. I didn't know what to do, so I called the hotel front desk on my cell phone to tell them what happened. The desk clerk told me they do have a security person, but that he was over at their other hotel right then, and he couldn't leave the desk to come make sure I got in OK. My choices were to sit and wait in my car for security to come back to the hotel, or circle the lot until I thought the guy was gone and I could make a run for the hotel!

I ended up doing the latter, and did make it back into the hotel by myself, but definitely shaken! When I discussed the situation the next day with the hotel management, they were apologetic, but told me that this was a problem with all hotels in Edmonton (it's not... I've stayed in many of them and this is the first time I've encountered this situation). They said there's nothing they can do about the people that hang around their front door, and assured me that they were probably harmless (getting stalked in the parking lot did not make me feel like that guy was harmless!). I suggested that they could indeed do something... they could insist that the people leave their property (it's called trespassing), and if the police couldn't do anything about it (as the manager informed me), then it should be the responsibility of the hotel to hire a full-time night security guard to run off scary people, or at least be available to escort guests through the gauntlet of pan handlers!

I realize that most travelers are not alone, so this may not be an issue, and if it's not, then this hotel is very nice. If rating the room alone, I'd probably give it a "5", but this whole experience left me more than a little rattled. I certainly would NOT recommend this hotel to any single women traveling by themselves. As long as you've been informed as to what to expect, then you can decide if this is the right hotel for you or not.

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the parking lot so that you can keep an eye on your car.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Darrell_Pearson, General Manager at Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear BrendaP66
Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review of your recent experience at the Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton. This type of feedback is essential if we are to maintain the standard of excellence that we have set for ourselves.

Your observations in the lack of a security presence, was made clear in your comments to me, and I would like to offer my most sincere apologies. There is no excuse. I will be speaking to both my Management as well as my Security teams and I can assure you that I will work more closely with them to ensure that this situation will not be repeated.

Again, I would like to thank you for sharing your concerns with us. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove that we can provide you with the quality of comfort and service that you deserve.

Been to Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton? Share your experiences!