“Good place to stay, just don't forget anything in your room!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton

You added Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton to your Saves list
Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10010 178th Street, Edmonton, Alberta T5S 1T3, Canada (Place LaRue)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Best Internet Rate
Ranked #49 of 89 Hotels in Edmonton
Canada
“Good place to stay, just don't forget anything in your room!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We had a nice stay from the 4-6 of January. The hotel is close to West Edmonton Mall (2 km or so, $10 cab ride w/ tip), and directly across the road is several restaurants and some strip malls. West Edmonton area is a fair drive from the airport ($70 cab ride or so).

I have no complaints about the room. We arrived very early in the day, and our room was ready for us. Fresh and clean, no complaints there. The windows are old and drafty. I was happy with the climate control as well.

We checked out Monday, January 6 and my husband forgot his sunglasses in the room. We were shuttling across town to a different hotel for a conference, and were maybe 10 minutes from the hotel when we realized this. Because we were on a shuttle I did not want to ask that we turn around and go back [if they were found could courier over to other hotel], instead I called the hotel and they transferred me to house keeping. I left a voice mail there, then decided to phone back to see if someone could just quickly go up to the room to see. I spoke with Chelsea, and she said she'd get someone to do that right away and call me back. A few hours pass and I hadn't heard anything back, so I phoned again, and she had left for the day. No one there knew anything about it. I left a message and they said she'd phone the next day. No phone call the next day [Tuesday]. So Wednesday goes by, no phone call back. Thursday I decided to phone back and of course - there's no sign of the sunglasses anywhere. Obviously when I originally phoned they never went up to check. I never did get my call to housekeeping returned either. So obviously no one at this hotel cares about messages.

Don't get me wrong - I am not blaming the hotel for the lost sunglasses; however, if they had done what they said when they said they would do it, nothing would have been lost. And the inability to communicate back is astounding. The hotel was very very quiet (as in not busy) during our stay, so I don't think it would have been *that* hard to just go up to the room when I called the first time.

No pool, but two hot tubs, we did not use them.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Grande Prairie, AB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have visited the Executive Royal Inn in West Edmonton before, and found the hotel itself to be very nice. My room was great with recent renovations, nice bathroom, comfy bed, and upscale decor. The lobby and lounge are also well appointed and present as a clean, comfortable and higher end hotel. As far as comfort and cleanliness, I have absolutely no complaints.

I did, however have a big concern with the very scary people that hang around outside the hotel. Most seem to be homeless and are waiting for guests to come to the door so that they can approach them and ask them for money.

When taking a taxi back to the hotel after dinner, the cab driver asked me about the hotel and what it was like... before I said anything about it, he commented that he had noticed a lot of seedy people always seemed to be hanging around outside the hotel. I replied that I had noticed that when I first arrived at the hotel as well... so his comment made me realize that this is very common with this hotel.

On my last evening at the hotel I arrived back about 11 pm and went to park on the side of the hotel near a side entrance that was accessible using my key card. I had started parking there so that I could avoid the people milling around the front door. As I parked I realized that someone was walking towards my car (remember... it's dark and I'm alone!). A man walked past my car a bit, so I kept an eye on him and waited a bit before getting out of my car... I was glad I waited, because I suddenly realized he was sort of hiding behind the van next to mine and was waiting for me to get out! This scared the heck out of me, and I quickly started the car and pulled back out. I didn't know what to do, so I called the hotel front desk on my cell phone to tell them what happened. The desk clerk told me they do have a security person, but that he was over at their other hotel right then, and he couldn't leave the desk to come make sure I got in OK. My choices were to sit and wait in my car for security to come back to the hotel, or circle the lot until I thought the guy was gone and I could make a run for the hotel!

I ended up doing the latter, and did make it back into the hotel by myself, but definitely shaken! When I discussed the situation the next day with the hotel management, they were apologetic, but told me that this was a problem with all hotels in Edmonton (it's not... I've stayed in many of them and this is the first time I've encountered this situation). They said there's nothing they can do about the people that hang around their front door, and assured me that they were probably harmless (getting stalked in the parking lot did not make me feel like that guy was harmless!). I suggested that they could indeed do something... they could insist that the people leave their property (it's called trespassing), and if the police couldn't do anything about it (as the manager informed me), then it should be the responsibility of the hotel to hire a full-time night security guard to run off scary people, or at least be available to escort guests through the gauntlet of pan handlers!

I realize that most travelers are not alone, so this may not be an issue, and if it's not, then this hotel is very nice. If rating the room alone, I'd probably give it a "5", but this whole experience left me more than a little rattled. I certainly would NOT recommend this hotel to any single women traveling by themselves. As long as you've been informed as to what to expect, then you can decide if this is the right hotel for you or not.

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the parking lot so that you can keep an eye on your car.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Darrell_Pearson, General Manager at Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear BrendaP66
Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review of your recent experience at the Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton. This type of feedback is essential if we are to maintain the standard of excellence that we have set for ourselves.

Your observations in the lack of a security presence, was made clear in your comments to me, and I would like to offer my most sincere apologies. There is no excuse. I will be speaking to both my Management as well as my Security teams and I can assure you that I will work more closely with them to ensure that this situation will not be repeated.

Again, I would like to thank you for sharing your concerns with us. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove that we can provide you with the quality of comfort and service that you deserve.
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I booked 2 rooms and when we got there it took almost 10 minutes to check in and I was the only person there. We waited so long because the lady working the desk just assumed we wanted rooms next to each other and there was none cleaned. When I found out why we were waiting I let her know we didn't care if they weren't side by side and got checked in right away. Besides that the price was nice (hotwire hot rate) the rooms were nice and clean.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Spruce Grove, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were going to be in Edmonton for a business dinner and decided to enjoy the night on the town, of course, with the CFR (Canadian Finals Rodeo) in town, it was difficult to get a hotel room at all. We lucked out with the Executive Royal Inn, and an Executive Jacuzzi room.
We checked in at 5:30 p.m., and our room was not ready, even though guaranteed check in was 4 p.m., but as I said, the CFR had meant a lot of people in town and there was also a wedding at the hotel. We waited 10 minutes for our room to be prepared and were then able to get to our room. The halls weren't overly clean, and when we came back from our dinner there were pistachio shells in the elevator (there were a lot of kids running up and down the halls when we checked in, from the wedding).
That being said, the room itself was clean and quite large. We had a bathroom with a full tub/shower unit, 2 sinks and a double jacuzzi and Bath and Body Works products. Towels were also plentiful.
There was a bar with a Keurig machine, and mini fridge, a separate seating area, and a comfy king size bed. There was some noise from the hallway, especially after 10 a.m. but no road noise. (We were on the 3rd floor.)
The reception area had free green apples and staff were fairly friendly and the whole place was decked out for the rodeo, in great detail.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi rooms are worth it if you enjoy that sort of thing.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Darrell_Pearson, General Manager at Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Dahla
Thank you for taking the time to complete a tripadvisor review of your recent stay at the Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton.

It will give me great pleasure to share your positive feedback about your service from our staff. We take great pride in surrounding ourselves with caring, professional people and it is particularly satisfying when our guests let us know we are succeeding.

Thank you for your feedback and telling us where we are doing a good job. I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed here for a family weekend in October, 2013. It was one of the more reasonably priced hotels in the area.

The hotel has done a fair bit of updating, which was quite nice. The room was a standard size with 2 queens. The room was very nice and modern. Everything was clean and in good repair. I like how a lot of hotels are going with Keurig machines now. Very nice touch!

The location is great. Close to West Edmonton Mall, and lots of food options within walking distance or a short drive.

Only drawback is the lack of soundproofing. You could hear people walking in the hallways and above your room. Not sure if we had any neighbors next door, but didn't hear any noise.

No breakfast is included but there is a restaurant onsite. It looks like they put on quite the brunch buffet on weekends though!

This hotel is nicely updated and was a good value overall.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Blumer990

Blackfalds, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Great location located by West Ed mall and great restaurants etc.
Hotel was nice. Comfy beds, spacious rooms. The tub tap wouldn't stop dropping tho. No pool but has 2 hot tubs and couple saunas.
Friendly staff at the restaurant and very good food.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Michelle M

Thank you for taking the time to complete the 60 Second Critic during your recent stay at the Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton.

Elk Point
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I had booked the hotel for 3 nights, friday saturday and sunday. Myself and my 2 year old son arrived late on friday. Check in was quick. When we got to our room, the couple things that stand out was the size of the room, and the cleanliness. The size i would consider above average. The bathroom is fairly small however. The room was extremely clean.
The one thing that did stand out is the noise level in the hotel. Each time someone else closed their door, our door would rattle. On the friday night, the noise woke my son up several times. The saturday night, their was a wedding party on the same floor. Again, it as a rather loud night.
We ended up checking out on the sunday despite having the room booked for that night (non refundable) and staying at another hotel. When we checked out, the clerk asked how our stay was. I said that it was really loud and didnt get a very good rest. The reply back was a rather non caring "oh, sorry". I would have assumed she would have seen that we were booked for another night, and maybe had a bit more care, but next thing she said was that everything was done. She didnt question anything more.
Why ask how the stay is if you dont actually care about the reponse?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton? Share your experiences!