We spent another night here on a recent quick trip in and out of Edmonton (have stayed before). It's a convenient location for West Edmonton Mall and other services and shopping in the west end of the city. Prices are creeping up at the various west end hotels though and I think they're getting to be a bit much for what you get. The hotel across the street was $7 cheaper, but doesn't include breakfast, which the Holiday Inn does.
Speaking of breakfast ... they have the grossest sausages I have ever tasted! Super greasy but with no flavour - ugh! One bite was enough. The manufactured cheese omelets were also pretty bad, rubbery egg filled with a small blob of processed cheese, however, the rest of the self-serve breakfast was ok. There is a machine that makes pancakes, two at a time, cinnamon buns and muffins, yogurt, cereal, toast, juice, coffee etc.
The other complaint I have about breakfast was their choice of television programming in the eating area. It was a Sunday morning and instead of a news or weather channel, which could offer useful information to travellers (especially since the weather was bitterly cold and road conditions had been really poor the day before), the TV was tuned to evangelical religious programming. In my opinion, this is in very poor taste in a public area, given that even among people who are nominally Christian, church-goers are a very small percentage of the population and those of this particular persuasion an even smaller one, and that many people come from other faith traditions. Why choose programming that would be of interest to only a very few, not inclusive of many, and possibly even offensive to some?
However, a staff member came to get a cup of coffee at the same time as I did, and when I asked if the TV could be changed, it promptly was.... to CNN. :-P (There are two national news networks in Canada, as well as a weather channel.)
On the plus side, our room was clean and comfortable. Our room was quite chilly when we first entered, only 63F, but the heating system was easy to adjust (and not too noisy) and the room warmed up quickly. The bed was very comfy, with good quality linens, and a choice of soft or firm pillows. The curtains block out light very well - we overslept a bit in the morning because our room was so dark! WiFi was good. The shower had one of those "rain shower" (wide circle) shower heads and had decent water pressure, although it was a bit hard to adjust the water temperature by just a little bit. I had forgotten to bring shampoo - the amenities provided were nice, with a fresh, citrus-y scent.
The pool was out of commission when we stayed - a sign said they'd had a broken pipe.... not surprising, given the extreme cold weather Edmonton had had for weeks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to our Alberta Hotel near West Edmonton Mall Enjoy a comfortable stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel Edmonton - At the Mall, located just 10 minutes from downtown. Unlike other Edmonton hotels, we provide convenient access to major area attractions, excellent Alberta restaurants and important local businesses. While lodging with us, you will find plenty to do near our Alberta hotel. Just a minute away, West Edmonton Mall can satisfy all of your shopping and entertainment needs, with more than 800 stores, countless restaurants and a wave pool. Also close by, Edmonton Valley Zoo, TELUS World of Science and Fort Edmonton Park provide plenty of fun for your visit. For sports fans, Edmonton's beloved Oilers of the NHL are also in town. In addition to being a great place for families, this Holiday Inn Express is also ideal for guests on business in Alberta. Our hotel offers six meeting rooms and a Business Centre and features amenities aimed at the smart business traveler who is looking for a comfortable stay at an unbeatable rate. We set you up for success with a hearty meal each morning. Other Edmonton hotels can't compete with our quality corporate services and amenities. You simply will not find another Alberta hotel near West Edmonton Mall that gives you the comfort, convenience and great location we provide at the Holiday Inn Express. Check out our incredibly low rates and make your reservation today. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton at the Mall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Edmonton At The Mall
- Holiday Inn Edmonton
- Holiday Inn Express Edmonton
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton At The Mall Alberta