“Nice atmosphere” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Bothy Wine & Whisky Bar

The Bothy Wine & Whisky Bar
5482 Calgary Trail, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (Calgary Trail North)
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #139 of 1,961 restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Calgary Trail North
Description: Utilizes local products, small, simple but delicious menu is designed to compliment various scotch offerings. Uses the Enomatic system for wines and champagnes, allowing the customer to have a glass of a wine when they may not want a whole bottle.
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Nice atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Went there with hubby for some charcuteries and we weren't impressed. The scallops we had were under cooked.
Tomato bacon soup was good but the chunks of bacon were odd.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
Calgary, Canada
“Great Scotch bar!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

180 different brands of Scotch and a separate wine room - my kind of place. It's a little hard to find, but once you're there, it's pretty great. The server was incredibly knowledgeable about Scotch. The food was OK, but it was secondary to the selection of Scotch.

Visited November 2012
Edmonton
“I'll go again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We tried the downtown location for an early dinner and I was surprised by a couple of things, impressed by others.

Menu pros: The scotch and wine selection is impressive. I had the Caol Ila and it was exactly as described by our server - who was very knowledgable. The potato/bacon starter soup was delicious; the haggis & chicken pie were both exceptional. The haggis was rich, nutty and flavourful, with a granular texture on the outside, and soft pudding texture on the inside. The pie crust was clearly handmade, with lard (I think!), and was rich and flaky. The filling was chunky, full of chicken, and included a perfect amount of gravy which kept this as a true pie, rather than soup hidden in a pie crust. All items were well seasoned, and I appreciated the deliberate absence of a salt shaker at the table.

Menu cons: Both the soup and the veg accompanying the haggis & pie were warm - at best. This was surprising and disappointing considering we were the first cover of the afternoon (we arrived just after the 3 p.m. opening) and the only people in the restaurant.

Decor: I was expecting a much more rustic decor - something in line with the definition of the term "bothy." The decor at the downtown location is sparse, cold and lacks the well-worn, cozy comfort one would expect of a true bothy. The small electric fireplace insert along the south wall near the front of the dining room is particularly unfortunate, as it looks sterile and out of place. Paired with the overly loud club music - the feel of the downtown local is more metro club chic than bothy.

Final word: the cons I mentioned are all easy fixes, and matters of personal taste. The entrees were well worth their price point and perfectly seasoned. The scotch selection is second-to-none and alone makes the Bothy worth a return visit.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“WOW”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

So historically I have enjoyed the Bothy, the first time I went there the food was fresh home made fair. But this last visit on Aug 10 2012, I will never go back there again. Was it the "one off" experience of Luke warm food, that tasted nasty? Could be, was it the lack luster service that one would expect from a truck stop..? Could be..Was it that the waitress not offering anything to try and make up the poor experience that my wife had that night? Could be. What was it then..well let me tell you. It was the fact the waitress flagged us down in the parking lot in our car as we were about to leave asking for a tip. Yup you read right..she asked not once, not twice, but three times then proceed to say that she should not be punished for the cook and the poor food experience we had. Also she felt it was necessary to "educate" on how the service industry works and how tips out get shared.

I stopped her and informed her that our experience just went from mediocre to extremely poor and that I wanted to speak to her Manager. Her response was that the Manager knew that she was out there. I then turned off the car and went in, to learn that the Manager was in fact not in, he was at the new location. At least I got the waitresses name, which was Georgia.

I then proceed to the New location to talk with the Manager, and the only response was. "Oh I am sorry, she should not have done that."

Well holy [--]! No kidding! Needless to say I will never spend another dime at this venue again...waitresses begging for tips seriously. Managers not offering to make up for the poor poor judgement a "seasoned" waitress displays insulting a paying customer like that. REALLY WOW! The service industry in Alberta, Edmonton,the Bothy in particular should really try and wrap their heads around the word "service". Tips are earned, not a automatic right.

So if I could I would rate this place in the negatives out of 5..no stars from me!

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“"Great Things Come in Small Packages"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Wonderul Restaurant just off of Calgary Trail.........interesting ambiance, reminded me of a restaurant we ate at in the town of Jasper.......great service and tastey food...resonably priced to boot......had the BLT.......wonderful.....and quite an extensive wine list........they've just recently opened another location on Jasper Ave & 124 Street..........this is a great thing for the City of Edmonton........try it, you'll Love it!!

• Visited April 2012