“Filthy bathtub, poor/missing front desk service, and bad heating/cooling” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites

Save up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 90 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
alberta
“Filthy bathtub, poor/missing front desk service, and bad heating/cooling”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

This was my third stay at this property in the past 4 months. At first, I was attracted by its newness and outside appearance given some aged downtown and west end brands. Appearances are deceiving. On my first stay, I had to ask to be moved since the bathtub in a 3rd floor room was looking as though it was not cleaned and there was hair on the supposedly clean towels. On my second stay, when the toilet backed up, there was no plunger on site according to the front desk. I had to be moved AGAIN. In the 2nd room, I had to ask for towels since there were only a few compared to the first room. On my third stay, I walked into a cold room and couldn't adjust the heat/cool air nor did the unit respond in anyway. The bathroom was filthy with hairs on the floor, near the bathtub and AGAIN on the towels. When i called the front desk, they picked up and HUNG up the phone without answering my call. When I finally did get through, I was told there was a "switch" on the wall. That isn't the case and there is no master switch. I also asked calls be put through without a guest name like other hotels. This didn't happen and when I missed calls the front desk didn't do much but offer a half hearted "I forgot". in the morning, when getting ready to shower, I discovered AGAIN that the bathtub was FILTHY and stained with unknown "materials of both black and yellowed crusty materials". At checkout, I was obviously a "distraction" to the clerk and not important enough while she did paperwork of some sort and had to be checked out by who appeared to be the hotel manager. When I had to advise of the issues, rather than be asked about my stay, to their credit, they did not charge me for my one night's stay. I had hoped to become a regular business traveler guest at this property given BW's many promotions and the newness of the hotel. With the 3 stays I have had, I'm not sure I'll return for quite a while (if ever). As they say in baseball, 3 strikes and your out. With more newer and bigger and branded properties about to open up nearby, it is a wonder this place can sustain itself with such filth, poor service, and lack of basic internal AC and heat controls.

Breakfast looks like a low end hotel. No variety nor vast selection like a holiday inn. No movie channel/movies either makes this a place to bed down and that is it at the very least (if you get a clean room with working heat and A/C).

Rooms facing Hwy 2 don't insulate noise in anyway and you can forget about a quiet night's sleep on that end of the property. it's quiet inside but that's about it when you get into the rooms and the highway noise (plus the odd train) takes you over. That was the case on 2 of 3 stays.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
gm61078, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 8, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to address your concerns and do apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay with us.

I would be happy to discuss this with you in further detail regarding your past experience with us at the hotel.

Farid Janmohamed

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

From the outside, the hotel looks new - so new that the driveway isn't paved. Not a problem as much of the nearby area is under construction still. The lobby is nicely done, clean, bright, and we did appreciate that the front door has a roof extending out over the front driveway since it was raining when we arrived and when we checked out.
Checking in was totally functional, not so much as a smile from the clerk. We booked the room on aeroplan points. The clerk requested a credit card for incidentals and ID. Totally nothing special or inviting about the check-in. Not even a "welcome" or "thanks" or "have a nice evening".
With the hotel being new the rooms are still in good condition. They are very modern looking and the bathroom, in particular, is nicely done with the modular-type vanity and good lighting.
Looking for a bottle of water to purchase we checked three of the four vending machines. None of the them had any water left, and the last one we tried ate our money. Going to the front desk, we had to call for someone to come out from behind 'the wall' to help us. We complained about the vending machine. The clerk said we'd have to wait until morning to talk to the day manager and she would help us. More on this later. We did without good water for the night.
Our room was pretty warm, so we started turning the heat down - and it didn't get any cooler. We checked the fan/radiator under the window. It was blowing - just circulating air - but none of the buttons worked. We couldn't turn it off, speed it up, or change the temperature of the air it was blowing out. We didn't even phone the front desk. We were pretty sure if the clerk couldn't help us with $1.25 eaten by the vending machine he wouldn't know what to do or who to call for the heating/cooling system.
We had wanted to soak in the hot tub. Checking it out - it was small and very close to the small pool/waterslide. Clearly popular with the children it was busy with lots of noise and splashing - not what we were looking for so we decided to forgo the hot tub. The kids looked like they were having a blast!
Breakfast in the morning was good. Typical 'make your own waffles', egg patties, sausage patties, yogurt, cold cereal, bananas, juices, toast/muffins/bagles. I'm not a fan of sausage patties so didn't actually try them, but the egg patties were surprisingly good. I'd like to see real butter and real maple syrup as choices in addition to the margarine and pancake syrup.
We needed to do some laundry, and the hotel has a small (1 washer, 1 dryer) laundromat. We had correct change for the load of wash, but did not have the requisite 2 one-dollar coins for the dryer. Going to the front desk and having to call out for someone to come from behind the wall (again) we asked for change. She said she was out of loonies (one-dollar coins). I explained our predicament and she reaffirmed that she had no loonies. I said I was really asking if there was anywhere nearby where we could get change and she said no, without so much as an "I'm sorry" in any of this. Hubby & I scrounged in the car and found a couple of loonies to finish our drying with. While seeking change, we mentioned the vending machine problem and were told it wasn't a hotel problem. The machines are owned by coca-cola and we'd have to call the 1-800 number posted on the vending machines to see what coke is willing to do. End of discussion.
When we were ready for check out we asked for a receipt since they had a credit card imprint, and were told they could not issue a receipt since the room was prepaid with points.
My impression here is that customer service doesn't exist at this hotel. It is certainly pretty, but that's where it ends. We've had excellent service at another Best Western in Edmonton. We'll go back to that one next time.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
gm61078, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 1, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post the review on your recent stay with us. I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your visit with us.

We certainly do appreciate your feedback and can assure you that the items indicated will be addressed with the associates.

I do hope you will give us another opportunity on our shortcomings. I would be happy to discuss this with you in more detail.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

I've booked two rooms for myself and friend, both had children. We have enjoyed our stay at the BW South Edmonton Inn and Suites. During our three night stay, we were always welcomed especially when we checked in late night. The rooms were very clean and the beds were perfect. I highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Edmonton. The only disadvantage is the distance from West Edmonton Mall but close to South Edmonton Common shopping area.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post the review and I am glad to see that your family and yourself enjoyed your stay with us.

On behalf of the staff and management we appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.

Regina, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

This hotel is relatively new, and the rooms are gorgeous ! Very nicely decorated, and the beds are SO comfortable. I even loved the bath and body works lotion and stuff they gave you. You will have a good nights sleep here ! I booked with my airmiles, and it was super easy, and the staff were very friendly. The pool looked awesome too, but we didnt have time to use it. The breakfast in the morning was really good, they even have a waffle maker so you can make your own belgium waffles !! This is included with your room! I would highly reccommend this hotel to anyone staying in the edmonton area, I know I will be returning during my next trip to edmonton! Oh, and you can almost SEE (not actually, but very close!) Ikea and the outlet malls from here, so for all you shoppers out there, it is only a minute or two away!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
gm61078, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 21, 2010
Thank you for taking the time for posting a review on the site. We certainly do appreciate your feedback and on behalf of the staff and management, we thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.

Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

A new property with large rooms, nice fitness room, close to South Edmonton Common and many many restaurants. I was very happy to find this hotel after trying various others in and around Edmonton. Great value for the business traveler as well.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
gm61078, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 21, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to complete the on-line review and the compliments on the Best Western South Edmonton Inn & Suites.

On behalf of the staff and management, we thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.

Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010 via mobile

Enjoying our stay here. Close to South Common and the airport. Only wish there were restaurants within walking distance. Beautiful new hotel!

• Stayed April 2010
Thank you for taking the time in completing the on-line review.

On behalf of the staff and management, we are happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Calgary, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

Our stay at this hotel was pleasantly exceeding our expectations by the second. We were very impressed on how prompt and friendly the staff was, giving every effort to ensure our stay was the most comfortable ever. The beds were *amazing*!!! very soft and you won't even toss or turn in them. The whole hotel still smells very fresh and new, like as if we were the first guests staying there. The breakfast room was amazing with a wonderful selection of juices, milk, tea, coffee, fruits, yogurts, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, and even able to make fresh waffles too. It's location was very good too, close to the International airport, Anthony Henday Road, and Highway 2 (QE2). We would definitely stay at the Best Western South Edmonton Inn & Suites again as we left with a smile and completely satisified :)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
gm61078, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 22, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent stay at the Best Western South Edmonton Inn & Suites.

On behalf of the staff and management, we appreciate your business and feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!