“Some good things, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 90 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Canmore, Canada
“Some good things, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Several family members and my own family stayed at this hotel for a wedding recently. First the positives: The hotel was relatively new and clean, the waterslide was a great hit with the children in the group, the staff was polite, the hotel was well situated for our purposes. Negatives included huge frustration regarding our attempt to book an adjoining room for our elderly mother (which did not happen in spite of several phone calls in the weeks prior to our arrival): no extra blanket for the pull out sofa (in a room with a king-sized bed and a pullout and booked for four people): only two sets of towels/facecloths in the bathroom (again, the room was booked for four): breakfast was not very good and only served until 9:30, which we thought was a very early cut off time.
All in all, although the rooms were spacious and clean, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone I know. The staff was polite but not helpful, and the rote explanation of why we could not book an adjoining room became very tiresome. The need for this adjoining room was very important (for our elderly mother on continuous oxygen), and when it could not be provided we had to completely re-arrange some of our rooming plans to make sure she would not be left alone. It was more than inconvenient, and I expect much better service from any hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Innisfail, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have stayed all one Edmonton on business and pleasure and feel very fortunate to have finally found this hotel. Great staff, Great rooms, very accomadating and if you are looking for pristine clean then you have found it..I have stayed here quite a few times and never disappointed. so close to everything.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mandy C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear Jeff K...

I am happy to hear that you are noticing the extra efforts we have put in to ensure our hotel is clean and spotless. We have just been certified as one of Best Westerns ULTRA CLEAN hotels and very proud to say we have passed their strict inspection with flying colours.. Rest assured our housekeeping staff try their very best to make sure the rooms are up to our standards.

Happy to have you stay with us and look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Melville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Less than a 10 minute drive from the W.E. Mall.

Clean, quiet and comfortable. You get good quality for the price your pay.

Jacuzzi tub was a bonus. Pool was small with no hot tub but still decent for younger kids.

Fairly easy to find with a # of restaurants nearby.

Next time we go to Edmonton I will definitely keep this place in mind

Dear Fred C.

So happy to hear that we will be your hotel of choice next time you are in Edmonton. We appreciate each and every guest that stays with us and we hope to see you soon.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Came for a wedding. Three of our families stayed here and won't do it again. Upon arrival, there was only one bath towel in bathroom. There were no additional blankets in the room despite having only one bed and a hide-a-bed with 4 occupants. Housecleaning wasn't completed until supper time.
The pool had green mold under poolside table indicated a severe lack of cleaning.
Very understaffed.
A car apparently was stolen during the day while a guest was returning to his room after checking out to retrieve more bags to carry out of room. No security visible in parking lot.
One of our families car door was scraped and damaged due to a small parking lot and ignorant parkers.

Room Tip: Pass this hotel by.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mandy C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear LisaBella77

I am sorry that your recent stay wasn't an enjoyable one. I do not want to make excuses however after some digging we found that we actually checked your room in early and we did make you aware that the room was ready except for the towels as our laundry person was still getting the rest of them ready. I believe I actually spoke to you later and had some brought up to you at 4 pm which is our guaranteed check in time. We always try to accomodate early check ins but things like towels might not be ready right away. Guests are usually happy with that they can get in early regardless of this fact.

When a guest is a stay in our hotel, housekeeping has a cutoff of 6 pm for cleaning in order to allow them time to get the 4pm guaranteed check ins done, this sometimes means stays are cleaned later in the day. We do have a new program that allows you to customize your needs and if earlier clean is needed by all means let us know in the future and we will accomodate. This new program also gives the guest the opportunity to ask for any special items they may require or extra items they may want.

I would also like to explain the vehicle theft that happened here in our parking lot and dents and dings on your car. We are not responsible for valuables or vehicles in our lot. Any good theif can break into a vehicle and unfortunately when a guest leaves a car door unlocked and unattended it is not our hotels fault that this happened. I do want to point out that although we do not have 24 hour staff on hand walking around our hotel, we do have video survelance and I have done everything in my power to help this guest get the information they need to the local police. I have handed over video of the act, etc and I am sure that in the future this guest will be extra vigilant when leaving his vehicle in any parking lot, not just ours. We have a huge lot that accomodates over 180 vehicles and unfortunately people aren't mindful when opening doors etc which may have caused you some dings. This happens every day, in parking lots across the world. I do apologize on their behalf as I know what it is like to have my car dinged. I just don't think it is fair that we are at fault for this.

Every day we try our best to ensure our guests satisfaction, safety, security and there are just some things out of our control. We do not publish that we have security on site, and I do believe that probably 100% of hotels in Edmonton do not take responsibility for lost or stolen or damaged items in your cars or your rooms. It is always recommended to take care when travelling to ensure anything of value is not visible to potential thieves.

I am sorry that you had this bad experience and hopefully have better ones in the future.

Calgary,Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Very clean, staff are extremely friendly, continental breakfast was awesome! Highly recommend this hotel and will stay here again! Very close to lots of shopping and restaurants and close to Calgary trail

• Stayed July 2012
Dear dutchie95

Thank you so much for your recent review! So glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have been staying at this Hotel for the past 6 months due to work and moving to Edmonton. I must say that Mandy and her staff have treated me like royalty. I have never been let down with rooms, parking, breakfast, pool area, exercise room, laundry, computer room or housekeeping. Trust me as I have have used all of these amenties. I have been upgraded almost everytime and will tell everybody of my experience. The Hotel is in a great location and is close to everything I do in the area.

Room Tip: rooms are more quiet on the south side.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Mandy C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Bruce M.

Every day at out hotel we have more and more travellers like you who are like part of the family. Seems to me that means we are doing something right! I am glad that your expectations are met every stay and that we always try to take care of you even last minute.

See you next week I am sure and safe travels.

The Nutmeg State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I wrote a review las October 2011 about this hotel and it was truly an excellent choice at that time and mentioned that I would stay again when visiting Edomonton. I did last week July 24 - 28, and was not disappointed. The hotel over all is clean, breakfast area staff very attentive, front desk very helpful, and more importantly spacious, clean rooms with all what you need. Location is fine if you don't have business downtown Edmonton. Lots of shopping and restaurants around. The parking lot is always full and could be challenging sometimes to park between 2 cars. Albertans love their trucks.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet corner of the hotel if you don't have to wake up early. It seemed to me that this...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sinbad2007.

Thank you for your recent review. The fact that you were here 6 months ago, and things are still on the up is a good sign that we are doing our job here at the hotel.

Keeping on top of training, Housekeeping, maintenance etc is something we strive to perfect. We have recently been honoured by being selected as one Best Western's Ultra Clean Hotels and our staff have had the most up to date clean training there is to offer. I am very happy that our efforts show and hope you continue to use us in the future.

Mandy Clutesi

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!