“Needs an update” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 89 Hotels in Edmonton
Toronto, Ontario
“Needs an update”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

This hotel was looking rather tired when I was there back in january. Not terrible, just in need of some small renovations to freshen it up. The food was excellent.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
New Brunswick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2007

We booked our stay at the Fantasyland hotel thru Agoda.com. DON'T EVER USE AGODA! Thru email, they told me to confirm with the hotel 3days prior to checking in. So, when I called, the hotel informed me that they did indeed have my reservation, but it was for a regular room instead of the Polynesian Theme Room I had orginally been promised (and was the only reason why we wanted to stay at this particular pricey hotel). The hotel said that they were booked and there was no way we could get the Polynesian room now. I had to call the hotel again the next day and beg them to help me out. I was finally able to get the polynesian room without the help of Agoda because they had a cancellation(although I did contact Agoda about the problem the day I had discovered it).

The second scare with Agoda occurred when I recieved an email claiming that my reservation had been confirmed and they would be charging my credit card. The only problem with this is that I had already paid back in August when I booked the room!! This matter was quickly resolved thru "live chat" to the credit department where I was told to just IGNORE the second email. So that's what I did.

Anyway, about the Polynesian Theme Room at the Fantasyland Hotel:
Check-in was smooth. We were able to get our room right away even though we arrived at 12pm. We were also given two free passes to either the Waterpark or GalaxyLand in the West Edmonton Mall. If you don't use your passes, you can redeem them for two free breakfast buffets at Cafe Europa.
The rooms were clean and well decorated with a Hawaiian Theme. We used the volcano jacuzzi twice while we were there. It has a little waterfall that spills out into the tub. The first time we used the jacuzzi, it worked great, but the second time we used it, for some reason, the water taps were screwed up. Hot water was Cold and Cold water was Hot. Once we figured it out though we really enjoyed it. Very relaxing.
You can't beat the location of this hotel. The check in counter is IN the West Edmonton mall. So you never have to go outside. There's lots to do in the mall besides shop, so make sure you have lots of time to explore the Sea Lion show, browse the Casino, check out the fire breathing dragon at one of the movie theatres...
We loved our stay and would definetely stay again, except the prices are a little high. That's why I made the mistake of booking thru an internet company. To try and get a deal. Next time I'll just book thru the hotel.

• Liked — The volcano jacuzzi
  • Disliked — The Price of the room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

This hotel was great, our two boys ages 9 and 6 really loved it. We booked a Western Theme room with bunk beds. The room was very clean and ready when we checked in. The kids really like that and the jacuzzi. The Hotel being located in the mall was great. Never had to go outside all day, just take the elevator to the first floor and walk out into the West Edmonton Mall. Lots of walking to do but lots to see and do. Will stay here again.

• Liked — clean and quiet
  • Disliked — a little overpriced
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. It was nice. We had an exective room (no theme rooms for us thank you). It had two queen beds (nice and plush) nice sheets and adequate furnishings. I loved that the window opened and there seemed to always be a nice breeze. Our room faced the IMAX theatre which was not a problem for us, because we did not encounter any road noise. The room had a very outdated whirpool tub with mirrors all around it which we laughed and and did not use. Bathroom needs an update. But was reasonably clean. The carpets were filthy. Our main complaint was that the toilet was a geyser when other guests on higher floors drained their whirpool tub, which caught me by surprise one night during the night on my way to the bathroom. The floor was soaked and the seat of the toilet was soaked as well. We kept the lid down at all times, and made our bathroom stops brief.
It was nice to browse the shops and eat at the different restaurants at the mall. This mall was HUGE. It took us two days to get through it all, but we took our time and explored the shops. I LOVED the oriental market attached to the mall and we took a bunch of food to the room to save cash and it was wonderful. This hotel is also part of the indoor waterpark which we did not partake in, so I can't give an opinion about that, but it looked like fun for the kids.
The room has a fridge for your things and vending and ice on every floor. It also had a safe which was nice. I didn't like that they didn't have high speed connections, just wifi. Which I don't have, so I tried to get online with the tv at 13.95, which didn't work.
Upon checking out we told the woman about the toilet and the tv internet not working, just as a "matter of fact". We weren't looking for anything. She went out of her way to comp our dinner for one night, removed the tv internet, and gave us $70 off one night stay. That is service for you! I would definately be back if in the area. Just perhaps a top floor request next time.

• Liked — location, room was quiet and relatively clean.
  • Disliked — toilet problem
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Prince George, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

Fantastic location!!!

I loved the fact that it was located in the mall. It was very easy to access to the mall. I could easily sneak out for my own time when my wife and my two-year-old son were napping.

The hotel rate is not cheap. Please contact the hotel directly and ask if they offer a special rate. I saved about $50 per day that way for my entire vacation (4 days).

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
Letchworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2007

As has previously been posted by others this place is expensive but we thought we'd give the Roman room a go. This room was great though smaller than expected. The circular bed was a definite novelty and the jacuzzi was huge but took a long time to fill.
Check in we found was no problem at all as we chose a quiet time to do so. Bags taken up to room quickly and our car was Valet parked for a bargain $8cdn.
Hotel obviously attached to West Edmonton mall which is great for shopping and all the resturants.

• Liked — location and room
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Whitecourt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

The kids like it here and have fun but it is quite expensive to stay here. The rooms are in need of renovations they are showing alot of ware and do not look as nice as in the web site. The last four times we have been here the hotel had issues with the internet/movies/video games this must happen alot because this is too frequent to be a coincedence. No mini bar,and we felt forced out of our rooms at 10am with the cleaning people banging on our door to come in.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Fantasyland Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!