“Wonderful location, charming hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Advance Booking Special
Ranked #20 of 90 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary
“Wonderful location, charming hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

Stayed at the Varsonca for one night in early June 2009. Loved the valet parking, helpful staff, and convenient location. Very charming decor, and cozy atmosphere. Complimentary breakfast was lovely! Would definitely stay here again next trip to Edmonton.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
rudypoo, General MAnager at Varscona Hotel on Whyte, responded to this review, July 5, 2009
Dear mnlovetotravel,

Thank you for your review, we are so pleased that chose the Varscona and enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Edmonton.

If I can be of any assistance for your next stay please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest regards

Donica Wilkie-Morrow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

I needed to be near friends at Ronald MacDonald House/Stollery Children's Hospital and this was a great location for it. I booked it because of good reviews here and because they had a $125 rate available online. I had to add another night to my stay and it was a bit of an unpleasant surprise when I checked out to find that that was only the weekend rate and that the second night was $145. Not a big deal, but more expensive than the Marriott (where I had been the previous night) and it wasn't noted on the sheet I signed when I checked in or mentioned by the staff member at check-in.

The room seemed a bit run down (water stains on the ceiling, chipped paint) and the buzzing, fuzzy TV needed an upgrade, but the bed was comfortable and lots of toiletries were supplied. Overall, it was a good room.

I appreciated that a room key was needed to access the elevator and that the desk was staffed 24 hours (I had to check in very late). The hotel has some good features, such as the included continental breakfast, which had a variety of food options. There's also a business and ftiness centre, which I didn't use and a wine/cheese tasting that was intriguing but I didn't get a chance to attend. There's a Second Cup in the lobby and it's right in the heart of the Strathcona neighbourhood with many restaurants and shops. I'd thought it would be noisy being on the main strip, but was pleased that it wasn't (although maybe on a rowdy night during hockey finals, it would be). And, as I said, you can't beat it if you need to be near Ronald MacDonald House.

I would recommend this hotel, but be sure to check the rates carefully.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
rudypoo, General MAnager at Varscona Hotel on Whyte, responded to this review, June 13, 2009
Dear Tinylibrarian,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel we appreciate all feed back from our guests. It is with reviews such as this that will assist us in moving forward with making our product better.

I would be happy to discuss the rates with you. Please feel free to contact me directly through the hotel.

Kindest regards
Donica Wilkie-Morrow
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

Great hotel. Great service.
I had actually lost an expensive item when I was staying here - which was my fault entirely. I got in contact with the hotel - communication with the Varscona has been excellent, prompt, and very professional, and the Varscona even replaced my item, which was completely unexpected. That was above and beyond what I expected from any other hotel.

The Varscona knows how to take care of their customers. I am 100% sure no other hotel would have gone above and beyond, but I feel like they were truly concerned about my experience.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

We only stayed one night but we experienced first class treatment from we walked into the hotel. Looking at the hotel from the outside, we were not sure what to expect. But as soon as we walked into the lobby, we started to feel comfortable about our choice. Check in was fast and smooth. Our room was a bit small, but clean and comfortable. The free wine and cheese tasting was a nice touch and it's great when hotel offer a free continental breakfast. I'm not always a big fan of valet parking, but it worked out. I did call about an hour in advance to make sure the car would be ready.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Only one elevator
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Red Deer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

We have stayed at the Varscona numerous times and am always totally impressed with the service and the accommodations. The rooms are always beautiful and we thoroughly enjoy the wine and cheese in the evenings.
On our last stay they went above and beyond anything we would expect. It was our anniversary and I asked if they had some sort of romance package I could add to our reservation. They didn't but they said they would note on our reservation that this was a special occassion. When we arrived we could hardly believe it, we had been upgraded to a suite room, there was a bottle of wine and glasses set out for us. Music was playing in the room and we had had turn down service. We were so surprised and so pleased, we had such a nice and memorable stay!
We always really enjoy our stay there. We love the complimentary valet service, and enjoy the wonderful restaurants on Whyte Avenue and the unique shopping.
We are already looking forward to our next stay!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — No negatives
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

We spent two nights at the Varscona Hotel in Edmonton. The room rate was not outrageous but the room was not outrageous either. The kingsize bed was comfortable and had lots of pillows. The TV was small and the Bose clock radio was okay. Internet connection was good and the bathroom was big enough. The bath products were nice -Aveeda. BUT the mini-bar - why bother having one if all that is in there is some stale granola bars and a mini bag of chips, along with some pop and canned juice. Why not some wine? Or a beer? The "complementary" breakfast was not great. Boiled eggs. Hard bagels. Cold cereal. Apples. Lukewarm coffee. But that is neither here nor there. I am not worried about the free breakfast. I wondered about the staff member who came to our door at 9:00 pm at night to "check" the mini-bar. I also wondered why there was only one robe and even when I asked the front desk, no one seemed to know why or care. I would make sure to ask for a room as far away from Whyte Avenue as possible. We were there mid-week and the noise woke us from a dead sleep. LOUD! All in all, an okay hotel but not much special about it.

• Liked — The king size bed
  • Disliked — The minibar and the noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

A comfortable hotel with friendly staff located within the bohemian/eclectic Strathcona area of Edmonton. The rooms are average, but comfortable. I was on the 6th floor, and it was quiet, even though my room was closer to Whyte Ave. My floor was in the midst of remodeling/painting, so the hallways were not great to look at, but the rooms were unaffected. The 5 nights I was there I only saw the painters twice, and not much was done. The rooms had a mini-frig stocked with juices/non-alcoholic beverages. Each morning, there is a breakfast room with coffee, pasteries, fruit, cereal and hard-boiled eggs. And a wine & cheese tasting every afternoon weekdays, that I did'nt attend. The Strathcona area had wonderful shops and restaurants to visit and enjoy. A great place to have coffee and people watch. It is in walking distance to the University of Alberta, convenient to several bus routes, or a quick 5 minute drive to downtown. Definately the place I would stay at again. You feel a part of the community, and the staff was great. The price was right at $150 CAD/night.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Varscona Hotel on Whyte? Share your experiences!