“Terrible service nice hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Edmonton West

You added Wingate by Wyndham Edmonton West to your Saves list
Wingate by Wyndham Edmonton West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18220 - 100th Avenue NW, Edmonton, Alberta T5S 2V2, Canada (Place LaRue)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #17 of 89 Hotels in Edmonton
Winnipeg,MB
“Terrible service nice hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

Upon looking at the photos of the hotel me a few friends decided to head out to edmonton for a few days. Our flight arrived early morning and check in was not until 3pm so prior to arrival we made sure that the hotel would be able to hold our luggage until check in. When we arrived this was not the case we had no where to place our luggage and the staff acted as we were rediculous for asking this of them. It took about 30 minutes before they would find a place to keep it until check in. We left for the day and arrived back at he hotel at 3:45pm which is 45 min after the check in time and my room was not ready not even started to be prepared for us. It took until 515pm for us to finally get into our room. After ll of this hassle and our early morning flights we were ready to relax. The next morning we wake up trying to forget yesterday and go to eat the continental breakfast, but it happens that nearly all of the food was taken by the other families staying here and NOTHING was being replaced. I ended up having to settle for a yougurt and a cup of juice out of all of the food that was there. This continued almost everyday that we were there. The staff didn't even want to do anything for us. We asked for towels and an extra pillow and we didnt receieve it without having to call 2 more times. The free shuttle service was teh most dissapointing service they provided. We booked the shuttle 24 hours in advance as requested by the hotel, each day they did not have record of us booking it and many times left us stranded in the heart of downtown edmonton or at least 20 minutes from the hotel. On our final day happy to get home the hotel shuttle was saposed to pick us up from the mall so that we could catch our prepaid airport shuttle back to catch out flight. The hotel shuttle did not come to bring us back and when the driver to the airport asked the hotel staff where we were the staff advised the driver to leave. Now we were pretty ticked off and were going to miss our flight. We taxied back to the hotel and demanded that they take us to the airport because they turned away our 60$ prepaid ride to the airport. It took nearly an hour before someone would take us to the airport. Finally we arrrived for the final boarding call. And I really would advise you to NOT stay here. The hotel itself looks fantastic but the service was completely terrible and no one treated us like guests just problems that they had to deal with. The staff's inability to think is the biggest downfall. If you're in Edmonton stay somewhere else please.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2006

Some friends and I took a trip to Edmonton recently and stayed in the Wingate Inn in Edmonton West. I had reserved the room and had attained the costs of the stay over the phone a few weeks prior to the trip. The first thing that went wrong was a quantitiy on the billing price that did not match the price I was given over the phone. The manager didn't seem too courteous to fix the mistake either.
But fine, we got that figured out. We went to our room which was of an average quality and proceeded on with our weekend.
Our last evening there rolled around and we were to depart the next morning. During that evening it was apparent that there was a large gathering of people in several hotel rooms on the floor above us. We thought nothing of it as it was still early. But by 2:00 in the morning it was no longer tolerable. A call was placed to the front desk and we politely asked if they could ask the tenants above us to quiet down a little. Well half an hour later the commontion was still going on solid.
Now I am not one to exaggerate, and I am also not one to complain needlessly. But this was the worst hotel stay I have ever experienced. Our neighboring hotel dwellers above us were literally -- and I mean l-i-t-e-r-a-l-l-y -- having some sort of a strange gathering above us which included a very loud drum, chanting, high pitched screaming and stomping. I am not kidding...this was seriously happening.
After 3 more calls were placed, each of elevating frustration the hotel staff did absolutely nothing. The next morning -- after zero sleep and in complete exhaustion -- we explained once more to the hotel staff what happened. Their response was non-existant and apparently what happened to us did not matter in the least.
And if that was not enough they ended up messing up out hotel costs again as we were leaving. Charging us plenty more than what they said they would.
It took an angry call to some head hotel person when we were home and 2 more months until we were finally presented with a letter of apology and a reimbursment of $20. I felt insulted by the attempt. I will never stay at the Wingate Inn again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Peace Country
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2006

I'm on day four of a five night stay at this hotel and I don't want to wait to get home to tell you folks what a great stay I'm having. The staff is top-notch and the place is clean, spacious and friendly. I'm in a single room with one king size bed and the room is easily twice the size I'd expected with a *comfortable* seating area for three, microwave, fridge, coffee, good sized desk and all the usual trimmings. And, even all the TV channels are clear. Plus, there's a unique restaurant on the property--the Homefire Grill--which offers a neat blend of greek, italian and First Nations food choices (the bison and bannock's wonderful). I was going to say that the Wingate is a bargain considering the price, but I've stayed lots of more expensive places that could take a lesson from the Wingate.

• Liked — Quality, friendliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — no convenience store really close - about three blocks
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Langley, B.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2006

We stayed at the Wingate Inn for three nights and it was a great experience. friendly staff, baby crib free of charge with bedding.
The room was spacious and clean but hot!!
We arrived to our room at a toasty 76F and the hallways were all in the 50's. We found it very hot in the hotel and hard to figure out the in room thermostat at first.
The waterslide was out of order, the pay per view movies and games were out of order for 2 of the 3 day's we were there.
Breakfast was excellent but if your not down there first thing in the morning the selection get's very slim!!
In room fridge and microwave was nice to have and the use of the "Office" for guest's to use was a huge plus for us!!.
I would stay there again anytime were in Edmonton the location was great.

Stayed November 2006
Hinton, Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2006

I stayed here in September 06 for a short business seminar. I found the room to be more than adequate, the continental breakfast above average and the adjoining restaurant - Homefire Grill - really interesting. This was my second stay at a Wingate Inn and I would have been ready to recommend the hotel and stay at this and other properties in the future - until ...

I was dumb enough to leave the power cord for my computer in the room when I checked out.

After five phone calls, an e-mail to the Wingate Inn website, leaving messages with the manager and an in person visit from my wife I have not even received one call back. I am totally disgusted with this. Even if they did not find it I would have accepted that - If they could have let me know.

It's a pity that I won't be staying at another Wingate property for a long while.

• Liked — The room and the location
  • Disliked — The after stay service
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

We just returned from a vacation to the Canadian Northwest and stayed at this property one night. Our room was huge, with two king beds in separate sleeping areas, a queen-size pull-out couch, and an office area. There was lots of floor space for all the suitcases my family of five had with us. The bathroom was also spacious and clean. The only reason I did not give this property five stars is because of the problems we had during check-in. I reserved our room over the internet at the Wingate's own website and confirmed our room just before leaving home. During check-in, I was politely told that I had reserved a smoking room. After showing them my printed confirmation letter proving that I had reserved a non-smoking room, I was told that there must have been an "error" and that I needed to book with the hotel directly if I wanted a non-smoking room. Since there were no non-smoking rooms available, I accepted the smoking room. Our room ended up being very clean, and we did not notice any smoke smell. This is probably because the property is so new. BUT, the smoking floor, which is on the top floor, is also the floor where they accept pets, so beware! Don't be surprised to hear dogs barking, etc. and pet smells in your fourth floor room. If a non-smoking room is desired, call the hotel directly and confirm this with them. Also, this hotel is located at the end of a road, and close to a few busy one-way streets and a residential cul-de-sac area so if you are not familiar with the location of this hotel, I would recommend getting directions before you leave home.

• Stayed June 2006
Kelowna, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2006

I was very impressed with this hotel. The breakfast was great and the staff made sure the area was kept tidy. The waterslide was great for the kids although there was a group of unsupervised kids that were quite rowdy. It would have been a good idea for hotel staff to keep a closer eye on the pool and make sure there were no unsupervised children as the rules clearly state. Our room was clean and comfy. Most of the staff was very helpful. I will stay here again on any future trips to Edmonton.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Edmonton West? Share your experiences!