“Excellent Stays!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Edmonton West

Save Saved
You added Wingate by Wyndham Edmonton West to your Saves list
Wingate by Wyndham Edmonton West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18220 - 100th Avenue NW, Edmonton, Alberta T5S 2V2, Canada (Place LaRue)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #18 of 90 hotels in Edmonton
Red Deer, Canada
“Excellent Stays!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Since I used to work in the hotel industry, it is dificult to stay in one. I am sure to pick apart every detail but I must say I have never been disappointed at the Wingate! Even when they are completely booked and bursting for occupancy, the staff is always calm, helpful and friendly. The rooms are extremely clean, the beds are comfortable and it's quiet at night. The restaurant Homefire Grille is just across the parking lot and has wonderful food.

A+! Would rather not even go to Edmonton if we had to stay at another hotel!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Wirun, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Edmonton West, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
Very kind of you to say particularily as an experienced hotelier. Our associates pride themselves both in customer service and certainly in providing a clean hotel for all our guests. We receive many positive comments on the Homefire Grill restaurant - thank you for yours!

Regards,

671 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Very nice hotel for the price. The room was huge. Movies were $16 to rent which was completely unreasonable, but with the pool and hot tub you didn't need movies. Breakfast was very good. Good waffles :). Not a typical "muffin and OJ" continental breakfast. The service was above average and the facility was kept very clean. Uses the restaurant across the street for room service which is convenient.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Wirun, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Edmonton West, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. We receive many positive comments on our breakfast offer as we do the convenience of the Homefire Grill restaurant adjacent to the hotel. Looking forward to your return!

Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Me and my two children returned home yesterday from a two night, three day stay in Edmonton in this hotel.

I read the reviews before I left and was not sure what to expect. I was plesently surprised. We got a king bed, my son is 8 and daugher very young, so there was lots of room. The hotel room was very large. Had a microwave, a fridge and coffee maker. So it was great we could save some money and eat in the hotel room. The room was very clean and bright. The heating worked great. Bathroom decent size and decent tub. We asked for extra towels and had some in minutes of our request. We had no problems with noice, we were on the second floor room 206. The bed was comfortable and so was the chair, there was a large TV as well. Big closet for haning cloths and jacket in.

The pool area was great. I read mixed reviews about the water being cold etc but we found it fine. The kids loved the slide and I loved that they had a little area that my daugher could stay in and was perfect for her height. The only problem we had was that there was a hockey group staying at the hotel at the same time, so there were lots of 10 yr old boys at the hotel, the pool is not as big as it looks in pictures, which is fine but the boys kept knocking over my daugher while playing rough in the kiddie section, at one point they knocked her glasses off and she hit her head and was crying, there was no staff around the pool area and nor were the parents. But she was fine and went back in 5 min later and they eventally left and all was good.

We did not try the resturant. We did have the free breakfast- typical free breakfast. Eggs, Bacon, sausage, waffels, cereal, milk, toast, muffins, fruit, yogurt, juice, and coffee. So food was good. The service lady however was horrible, there was no strawberry sauce left for the waffels and I asked if they had any more and she was soooo rude ! Than she was getting upset because people didn't know how to use the waffel maker (cause everyone should know how to use an industrial waffel maker!). She was the only person who we found rude, all the other staff seemed friendly !

The location was awesome, close to all kinds of resturants, walmart, shops and 5 min drive to West Edmonton mall.

Over all great hotel. I would stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: 206 was a nice room with King bed!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Sincere thanks for such a wonderful review. By all accounts it appears we exceeded your expectations and that "you will be back!". Thank you for chosing the Wingate Inn Edmonton West and I personally look forward to the opportunity to meet you upon your return.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel for a number of years while visiting Edmonton on business. The rooms are spacious and comfortable; the fitness facility is bright and pleasant; and the staff are always friendly and welcoming. The Homefire restaurant is conveniently situated a few steps across the parking lot and has a great menu with healthy, tasty, and well-presented options. The Wingate is at the top of my list for a West Edmonton hotel! Marie

Room Tip: North side is great as these face a field, so no direct light shinging into the room at night.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Wirun, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Edmonton West, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Thank you very much for such positive comments and in particular the loyalty to our hotel for so many years. We appreciate you sharing your experience's and that it appears we not only met but exceeded your expectations since day 1. I will be sure to post your comments in respect to our friendly and welcoming staff for all to read and enjoy. Lastly, your observations of the Homefire Grill seems to be shared by virtually all of our guests. Great Food and a Great Staff.

Again, sincere thanks from all of us !!

Saskatoon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

My stay at the Wingate by Wyndham Edmonton West was comfortable and enjoyable. My purpose for staying was business and I found the location excellent. I was able to access my business call with ease as the location made it easy to get to all points. The spacious room made it quite easy to work in. I had no trouble working on my computer and following up with my paperwork due to the large working space. The Homefire Bar and Grill served up excellent meals and were not your regular restaurant style fare which made it nice for a person that is on the road a lot. The service was excellent and friendly. The location is close to West Ed Mall as well as a large Sports Bar if you want to get away a bit as well. I quite enjoyed my stay and will be staying there my next trip in.

Room Tip: The Junior Suites are excellent
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Wirun, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Edmonton West, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Thank you very much for the kind words on the services and the convenience of the location of the Wingate Inn. Your feedback is important and sincerely appreciate you sharing all of the "positives" that we have to offer. I can assure you that we do everything possible to create enjoyable guest experience for each and every one of our guests.

Again, thank you "Saskatoon", we look forward to your return to Edmonton West and the Wingate Inn.

edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

a while back, we decided to stop giving "things" to the grandkids as gifts. for christmas, we go to a hotel with a water park. our experiences, thus far, have paralleled the story of the three bears - this one is too dirty and the waterpark is always closed for maintenance, this one is nice but the waterpark is too scary and this one is just right. we spent 4 restful nights and three fun days at the wingate edmonton west and, for us, it was just right! it all started out great, right off the bat. the front desk staffer greeted us as soon as we walked through the door. she was friendly, engaging, accommodating and helpful. the 5 year-old twin grandsons are VERY ACTIVE & CURIOUS ABOUT EVERYTHING so we usually have to kid-proof the room - no problem. what a lovely hotel - the art work is amazing. i usually have what i call "the elvis-sneer" the entire time spent in some hotels - you know, when you're always thinking "ewwww". not this time - beautiful decor and scrupulously clean throughout. we had a double queen room and, it was so spacious, i didn't feel like the five of us (7 year-old granddaughter too) were packed in like sardines. the FREE expanded breakfast will impress (i know, because our family is very food-orientated and we were impressed) plus you get to make your own waffles! (i want a waffle maker like that and i want their recipe too!) holy crispy yet fluffy, batman!!! the waterpark was well maintained and so clean. the waterslide was exactly the right size for our kids - they had a blast. we all loved it there and did not want to go home. kudos to wingate for doing it right. the homefires restaurant across the parking lot delivers to the hotel room and their food is awesome! this review is no exaggeration, we weren't high on anything nor were we paid to write this - we just had a really great stay. ok, there was one thing - it would be nice if they could ease up on the chlorine - just a bit (we all were getting headaches)

Room Tip: we were on the 4th floor which is the top floor and experienced perfect peace and quiet during the n...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for such a wonderful review of both the hotel and Homefire Restaurant. It's extremely pleasing that we were able to exceed your expectations and in particular make this Christmas a very special one to remember.

Your feedback is extremely valuable to us and I can assure you that your very positive comments will be shared throughout the rest of the team.

Sincere thanks,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012 via mobile

First of all I've stayed at this hotel many times before and had never had any problems. On our last stay while checking out, the front desk girl and on-shift manager were very rude and did NOT help us out in any way!!! My credit card had been charged for the full 4 nights we stayed and I was simply asking for a receipt and I'd be on my way. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way, the front desk girl insisted my credit card had only been pre-authed so I phoned my credit card company and they told me that no it was not a pre-auth that it was a charge. I told her that but she argued with me telling me that the credit card company doesn't know what their talking about???!!!! After the 2nd call to my cc company she called out the manager who also started arguing with me in front of all the other guests trying to check out. I said I would call the cc company once more to prove to them (in a back office) that it was in fact charged to my cc. After the manager confirmed it was a charge she quickly apologized and tried to give us coupons to stay again!! My husband and I stormed out of there after trying to for 55 mins to explain that we paid!!! Will spend our money elsewhere next trip to Edmonton!! And we're there at least 4 times a year!

• Stayed October 2011
Sir,

We appreciate your very positive rating of the hotel in terms of location, value, rooms, and cleanliness as these are all important factors for guests when choosing where to stay. Regrettably, the financial transaction to settle your stay was not smoothe and very unfortunately mishandled at check-out. Please accept our sincere apology for this inconvenience. I can assure you that this type of accounting issue is rare and is usually corrected immediately. We appreciate your candid feedback on this concern.

Jim Wirun GM

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Edmonton West? Share your experiences!