“Second time here - has deteriorated” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romance, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Reservations
Edmonton, AB
“Second time here - has deteriorated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

Although we had high expectations after our first experience here, things have deteriorated. Although portions of sashimi still are sizable, my wife noticed that they were microwaving unagi. Food in general didn't seem as fresh. The washroom (i.e. toilet) looks like it hasn't been cleaned in ages. Service is still better than most Asian restaurants.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Alberta
“Memorable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

Don't confuse this place with the other Kyoto restaurants in Edmonton. Menu is completely different, has many unique items and much, much better prices.

The crispy roll (a sushi roll that is actually served warm with a creamy sauce) it worth the trip all by itself.

Casual, friendly & not overpriced. You don't find this often in a Japanese restaurant!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton
“Great Sushi in a Quaint Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

I've been a customer of this independent Kyoto Sushi since 2004 & tried many menu items. For a group I particularly like the "Love Boat" but make sure there are enough of you because it's a lot of food.

I rely on my staple--the bento boxes because I really like getting the salad & dressing. There's a sign at each table explaining the ingredients so you could potentially make it at home.

The tuna is fresh & tasty here too so no matter what I order I add 2 pcs of tuna.

The Crispy Kyoto Roll is their specialty & if you don't mind a little spice, it's excellent. Spicy foods have grown on my over the last 5 years but I don't think I could have handled this one when I had no tolerance. The taste of the dressing is still very present so the spicyness doesn't overpower my impression of the roll.

In terms of the "atmosphere" well, you can tell they put their effort into their food and that's what matters anyways. If you're all about how fancy the place is then you should go somewhere else.

All in all, I really enjoy the sushi here & will come back for years.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“Great Sushi at Affordable prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

Been here for lunch with a group from work some weeks ago.
Shared some selections with the group, and found the food very palatable, i.e. mild or spicy. (I am a die-hard wasabi fan!)
It is not the typical sushi place that I am used to from Vancouver, where there is an abundance of sushi from which to choose. But this location definitely sated my appetite for sushi and it just might your's too.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The special salad is fantastic, and the Kyoto maki is wicked! The atmosphere and furnishings are a little run down, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2008

The special salad is fantastic, and the Kyoto maki is wicked! The atmosphere and furnishings are a little run down, but the food and service makes up for it.