“A dying breed in Calgary !” 4 of 5 stars

7930 Bowness Rd NW # 28, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
(403) 288-3606
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,241 of 3,019 Restaurants in Calgary
“A dying breed in Calgary !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Dell has been a mainstay of the ' Local's ' and the so called 'Greasy Spoon' crowd for decades.Located in a strip Mall in West Bowness on the main road, not far from the notorious Bowness High School and the adjacent area the Police refer to as the Bowness Triangle, where questionable elements have been known to roam.
Moderately priced, welcoming, and consistent, the Dell has been a great Breakfast and Lunch spot for many regulars and lunch time students looking for fast take out and comfort foods in the shrinking Mom and Pop restaurant business.
Cozy and predictable, this homely gem may soon be sold or closed, if a buyer is not soon found with the original Friendly and Oriental owners looking to retire.
Hopefully the existing formula continues, with as few changes as possible, since breakfast places are increasingly hard to find, with Denny's (C.O.P.) and Cadence Cafe the only other two options for miles.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Calgary, AB
“Good Home Cooked Food (and I LOVE the Chinese)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Dell is always a a favorite place to go. The owners love what they do and it's evident by the quality food they prepare and the interactions they give. You cannot go wrong with the chinese here - I often order take out, but the special combo plate is always good if we're eating in. The Hot Turkey Sandwich makes me warm and happy on a cold day. Yes, it looks a little shady, but the interior is a tribute to days gone by in a homey community. You'll feel like one of the gang and walk away with full and happy tummies after a visit to the Dell.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Feels like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have been eating at the Dell most of my life. Even after 45 years + I still crave the Dell on a weekly basis. Some of the best Chinese food around, and no one makes a better Denver omelet. Not the fanciest place around, but the food can't be beat.
Long live the Dell!!!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Alberta
“Great honest inexpensive breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

This place IS one of the best little mom 'n' pop cafes in town. Owners are awesome and they LOVE kids. In fact, I don't think I've brought my kids there without them leaving with some sort of toy or coloring book given to them! Just really great people, delicious breakfasts and great kitzy old school southern Alberta cafe decor! I question what another said about this place being scary. Bowness has a little something called PERSONALITY which many frou-frou spoiled-rotten uber riche Calgarian brethren just don't get. If real cafes in all their formica and trans fat glory aren't your thing, do everyone a favor and go to Starbucks instead. By the way, ironically, my recommendation here is the veggie omelet, which is cooked to perfection and too damn delicious to pass up for unhealthier fare.

My ONLY complaint is the dinky size of their coffee cups. You are ALWAYS running out of coffee. Dell, fix this! Otherwise, diner paradise.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Calgary, Canada
“Best chinese food I have had in a long time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I'll admit I was a little skeptical about trying the food here, even after seeing wonderful reviews I was scared to try the food from here. I was hungry one day and thought what the hell, Ill try it, worst case scenario I wont like it and wont order again. I got the food and it smelled great and looked yummy, but the look didnt even compare to how it tasted. I have had bad luck it seems when it comes to chinese food lately but this was amazing, in fact I was craving it so bad again I got it 2 days later also. I have not tried any other food from the Dell, but the combinations I got were superb....I will eventually try other stuff but right now Im OBSESSED with the chinese food!!!

• Visited July 2011