“Good but not great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lazy Loaf & Kettle

Lazy Loaf & Kettle
8 Parkdale Cres NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 3T8, Canada (Northwest Calgary)
(403) 270-7810
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

At $11.00 for breakfast I was hoping / expecting a little more. More presentation in the food or larger portions. The staff was courteous but not overly friendly. It was an interesting place to have breakfast.

78% Recommend
Calgary, Canada
“Favorite Go-To Place EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Love love LOVE this Calgary hidden gem! Such a quiet atmosphere, super nice staff, and the best sandwich I've ever had. Super fresh ingredients and amazing desserts too.

Calgary, Canada
“Inner city trendy goes only so far”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife convinced me to go to this "Retro Restaurant" for breakfast about 8 months ago. The miss-matched furniture seemed quaint at first and I must admit, the restaurant had a certain allure. Yes the food was good, but very expensive. The bread was exceptional, by the way. The staff taking orders seemed a little inexperienced as they took a very long time to take orders. This was my first time at this restaurant and I would have given it a pass the next time if I were in charge.

I am not however, in charge and I was coerced into having another weekend breakfast at the Lazy Loaf about 2 months later. This time, I was adventurous and ordered the Eggs Benedict (as did my wife), rather than the simple Eggs Over Easy With Bacon I had ordered previously. Now you must know that one does not sit at a table and order. Rather, one lines up at the counter and speaks to a person at a cash register to place your order. This seems again to take a very long time. When we got our Eggs Benedict, my eggs were cooked very hard. This is, in my experience, unusual unless one orders them this way. I took my plate up to the counter and spoke to the young lady who took my order. She had absolutely no ideal what I was talking about. Nor did she have any idea how to deal with this situation. I had to suggest to her that she bring the plate back to the kitchen and have them re-cook the order. The cooking area is visible to all patrons, so I watched as she brought the plate to the cook. Well, I got a "stink eye" from the cook and I kept a close eye on him while he cooked my order again (if you know what I mean). When I got my order back, it was the exact opposite of my over cooked eggs. My eggs were barely passed over a heat source and might as well been placed raw onto the muffin. I am trying to be a better person by not expressing my emotions physically, so I did not confront the cook.

You would not think I would come back to this restaurant again after this, but as I have said, I am not in charge. My wife really likes their Eggs Benedict with over cooked yolks. So in the interest of peace, we graced this restaurant once again. Well, this time I was ready to order a "fool proof" order of Eggs Over Easy with Bacon. In the line up to order our food, (no table service) my wife was half way through her order to a girl behind the counter who seemed quite perplexed about something other than her task and mid order, just walked away! We looked to another young lady behind the counter and asked her if we should continue with her. This young lady, to her credit, decide to treat us like an actual paying customer and resume our order. The first young lady returned mid way through and was obviously angry we turned to someone else. My wife let her know how she felt about her lack of customer service skills. No apology was forthcoming.

That meal cost me $40. I have had better service at Denny's and at a much lower cost. The meals were just as good. As well, I saw a young man with long flowing curly hair past his shoulders in the kitchen. He did not have a hair net on, only a baseball cap on backwards. There are simplistic hand written signs directed to the patrons not to put dirty dishes on the counter so that plastic glasses are not confused with clean plastic glasses. Really? Do they think that is good enough? The place looks fairly clean. I did look for a foot long curly hair in my food before I ate it and thankfully I didn't find one. The main reason I do not like this restaurant is that the service is substandard considering the price of food. Front end people seem very inexperienced and aloof to their tasks of being in the business of customer service.

Maybe the "Parkdale" crowd and some of the "Inner City" patrons will keep the restaurant going for awhile, but new customers such as myself will be turned off by the poor service and perceived unsanitary conditions.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Good food, poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was advised by staff this restaurant is under new management. Food is still is good. A lot has changed, i.e. they no longer carry Kicking Horse Coffee. The decaf is always tepid, bitter and stale as it is not replaced regularly. My friend asked the server if there was any more o fa certain type of coffee and she walked away. A second server came over and said, with her usual smug attitude "we don't have any more" and replaced it with a different type. My friend commented and she just glared and rudely repeated the same thing. As we waited at the counter to be served these same two employees were standing there complaining about other staff, knowing full well we were waiting, came over to the counter and didn't even greet us or ask us what we wanted, just stood there frowning. This is the second time in the last month that staff have been less than friendly. Perhaps management should do some employee coaching?

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lazyloafer, General Manager at Lazy Loaf & Kettle, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
I am sorry to hear about the bad service you received the other day. We are still the family owned business that started almost 20 years ago. We have changed our coffee to Phil and Sebastien but we were never using kicking horse coffee. If you could please give me more details about the servers that helped you then I could speak with them and hopefully never have an experience like this again. Once again we are sorry for the bad experience and we will definitely assess the situation. Thank you for your time.
“Great food, snotty service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The food was fantastic! Too bad the server (who already got her tip- you prepay) couldn't make eye contact or even scrounge up a smile when just dumping our food on our table. Not even taking the time to present the proper dish to the person who ordered it. (The girl with dark hair with a funky undercut- you know who you are).

And when I requested a tea spoon to feed my toddler (their soup spoons wont fit in a toddlers mouth- in its self not a big deal) all I got was attitude, rolled eyes and a lie that they don't have any. Yes they do have them BTW.

• Visited July 2013