“Charming despite wonky service” 4 of 5 stars

(403) 241-7611
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bears Den Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #319 of 2,927 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Tapas, Bahamian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Crowchild & Bearspaw Rd.
Description: Warm cherry wood walls, crackling fire, crystal, crisp linens, great steaks, fresh fish and wild game...Bears Den is a one of a kind restaurant in North West Calgary.
Calgary
“Charming despite wonky service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

The lobby was jammed with diners awaiting a table when we arrived, with no staff in sight to seat anyone. I went into the room on the right and found it virtually empty. A friendly waitress invited us to sit by the fireplace. We admired the windowless, wood panelled, high ceilinged room to the right on the entrance, which was windowless but inviting.

I had specified a nut allergy, so was disappointed to see huge cashews on my salad. Sending it back led to a further delay. The food was good but the service very slow, as we waited a long time between courses. The dishes are traditional but well prepared. We felt they were understaffed even for the small crowd on a Sunday night.

We will go back, as we liked the food, but although the waitress was very pleasant, I can see why several reviews have mentioned slow service.

Visited April 2013

Cochrane, Canada
“very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Read quite a few reviews of the Bside Bistro and thought it would be an excellent choice. So with anticipation headed there. What we found was...extremely slow service, some very good food (onion soup) and some forgettable (hamburger and really awful fries). Acoustics terrible, could barely hear the live band and again, really slow service. Do not want to hear excuses (the next door Bear's Den had large parties so that's why we had to wait so long for our starters), just act like a top flight restaurant and adjust service accordingly. So too bad, we were really hoping for a great night there and won't be back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
cochrane
“This Bears Den sends the Teddy Bears running for another place to pick nick”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This had to be one of my most forgettable birthday dinners ever.
On the other hand , may be not , for I make very sure to never go back there again.
I like a good steak, no actually I love a good steak, but what is being served at this steakhouse , starts out as a piece of meat and becomes an over salted , soft mess. The texture of the meat is terrible , the spice consists of salt and more salt!
I foolishly thought that I could drown out the over salted flavour by dipping into the much advertised peppercorn sauce-no such luck, the "chef" found another medium to carry even more salt from his "kitchen" to the table. The same happened to the wild mushrooms , which ended their life in some briny concoction.
Too bad!
Unless you are a suicidal risk taker-don't add this adventure in hypertension stress testing to your dining experience!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“I cant wait to go back! Romantic & Tasty 1st Class service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Bside Bistro was tremendous! I give them 10/10 our server was named Debbie she was fantastic;1st class service. I love Tapas and they have so many different things to choose from they also have a dinner menu.The food was terrific we had heirloom tomato salad (dressing was mouth watering savoury hard not to lick the plate) PEI Mussels cooked to perfection. Calamari tender and tasty (defiantly best I have ever had) Yorkie Skewer so much flavor very good! So many other items I want to try we will be back soon. Awesome wine list HUGE selection.
We went on a Saturday (March 30th) they had a 5 piece Jazz band they were great.

To those with children there was a lot in the restaurant when we arrive all VERY well BEHAVED and I seen with my own eyes, staff was very accommodation and very nice to them. So the guy who wrote a bad review because of his children I would presume they were being disturbing. Nothing worse for us as parents of 4 going out for a romantic night out "away from our kids' to have some else child/children being a disturbance. When our kids were young we taught them to respect others and behave in public!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“GREAT NIGHT OUT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

excellent food, good service and great atmosphere. We went for dinner for our anniversary and it was a great experience. it is a one of a kind restaurant great beer and wine selection unique food selections. we ate on the bistro/lounge side where there is live music a fire place, dance floor and a large bar. overall a very good restaurant

• Visited March 2013