“Beautiful Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of River Cafe (The Restaurant on Prince's Island Park)

River Cafe (The Restaurant on Prince's Island Park)
25 Prince's Island Park, Calgary, Alberta T2P 0R1, Canada (Northwest Calgary)
403-261-7670
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
River Cafe (The Restaurant on Prince's Island Park) is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 2,927 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Beautiful Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The food is very well prepared and the service is great but the location can't be beat. To get there you have to park in Eau Claire, walk across the river on a foot bridge to Prince's Island; then it is a short walk to the restaurant through the park. The outdoor patio has gas heaters and if its really chilly, the staff pass out blankets to wear around your shoulders. If its raining when its time to leave, the restaurant provides complimentary ponchos. The decor is upscale Canadiana. The food is really really good - they have their ow garden and are very good about special requests. The only reason I did not give River Cafe 5 stars is I find the portions small (and I am NOT a big eater) and its a little pricey.

Visited July 2012

Anchorage, Alaska
“Rustic setting and excellent food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

I had lunch here on a gorgeous fall day in Calgary. I just happened upon the place while walking in Prince's Island park and it was quite the find. The views are lovely and the food was really good. I recommend their flatbreads. Wood fired, tasty, and more than plenty for one person.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, TX
“Don't miss it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

It is a short walk across the river to the River Cafe, but the walk is stunning. We loved this place! The menu is unusual, and pricey however the atmosphere makes up for it. One of a kind!

Visited September 2012
Houston, Texas
“Great location for lunch if you are not rushed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I visited Calgary for a week long business training session so had the opportunity to visit several restaurants for after work get togethers. This by far was my favorite restaurant. We went for a late lunch and were not a hurry thus the slow service was not a factor. The restaurant was rustic but elegant. I found the view of Prince's Island Park delightful and was pleased that the service was slow so I was able to enjoy the view and nature of the park. My food selection was delicious and the presentation delightful. The selection of ales that some in the group had, as well as wine seemed to appeal to all. I did not have to pay for the meal so cannot comment on the value. This was a relaxing retreat and restaurant that I will never forget.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leeds
“Food ok, but overpriced. Service terrible.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

After being rudely spoken to when trying to book a table for our wedding anniversary (they refused to book a table on the patio for us, despite it being a special occassion), we still went for dinner as we had a gift voucher to use. If we didn't have the voucher I would not have gone back, given the way I was spoken to. When we finally did get a booking the food was very tasty, although I felt overfaced with the portions and I felt that there was too many different flavours in the dishes. There are better upscale restaurants in Calgary, providing better value for money. The setting in the park is lovely though, and the ambience in the restaurant is very nice.

• Visited September 2012