“yum yum” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Coup

The Coup
924B - 17th Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta T2T0A2, Canada (Mont royal)
403-541-1041
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mont royal
Description: We use as much organic & local food, liquor and wine as possible, including all soy products & grains. Menu items are made from scratch & with love. We have a wine & cocktail lounge with weekend DJs, and a restaurant. We recycle all we can & compost our kitchen waste. We purchase food from local farmers, and with minimal packaging; we plant 36 trees a month, and we are 100% wind powered.
nyc
“yum yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

A standout restaurant in a city that seems quite conservative. The food was delicious, the staff friendly and cute, and the overall vibe was relaxed and chill. For the quality of the food, the prices were very reasonable, 16 dollars being their most expensive menu item, all organic and local when they can, yum yum in my tum****

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Canada
“Herbs and Spices - A Foreign Concept at The Coup”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

As a vegetarian, I immediately gravitate towards any city's best-known vegetarian restaurants. In Calgary, The Coup is certainly the best-known vegetarian restaurant. Unfortunately, it is also the worst vegetarian restaurant I have ever eaten at in my life. I've eaten lunch at The Coup twice. The first time I went, I had "El Taco". I'm not a Mexican-food purist, but what I was served brought shame to the name "taco". It was basically six little beans, a slice of avocado, lots of dry quinoa and massive chunks of chard STEMS inside a dry tortilla. It was disgusting. It seemed to have absolutely no seasoning, in a recipe where cumin, some fresh cilantro and a splash of lime juice would have made all the difference. On my next visit, I had "El Sombrero", which was their version of huevos rancheros. Again, majorly low on beans and majorly high on crispy, crunchy chard stems. The "organic hash" were mushy, soggy potatoes and the salsa seemed to be pureed tomatoes. Again, virtually no seasoning on anything. I could make better huevos rancheros with one hand behind my back. Healthy vegetarian food doesn't have to be bland, as evidenced by the wonderful vegetarian food I've eaten all over the world at vegetarian restaurants. The Coup fails big-time and is absolutely not worth a penny of your money.

Oh, and to make matters worse, service is super-slow. I mean, how long does it take to cook something that you're not going to season?

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Calgary
“Don't bring your children!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

Not bad food - not the best vegetarian food I've tasted, but not bad. You'll get better service if you leave your children at home - they really don't like kids. Which, to me, seems a little contrary to their "wholesome living" image...
I would only recommend this restaurant child-less friends.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
calgary ab
“good food, creative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

loved the salad, good variety of greens and reds, good dressings. friendly and kind service, but crowded, space too small for that many seats. wait time was acceptable. if you want a place to chat and dine, go somewhere - i could barely hear what my partner was saying

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Winnipeg, Canada
“Wholesome food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

Went for lunch on weekday with a friend, had to wait a bit, but was worth it all in all. Had the el taco with a coconut carrot soup and my friend had a panini (tried a bite of it), both were quite good and didn't leave you feeling all stuffed and greasy like most restaurant meals do. Tried the Coconut Chai Latte, it was good but a small portion for the price.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere