“Awesome vegetarian food in friendly intimate atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Coup

The Coup
924B - 17th Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta T2T0A2, Canada (Mont royal)
403-541-1041
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mont royal
Description: We use as much organic & local food, liquor and wine as possible, including all soy products & grains. Menu items are made from scratch & with love. We have a wine & cocktail lounge with weekend DJs, and a restaurant. We recycle all we can & compost our kitchen waste. We purchase food from local farmers, and with minimal packaging; we plant 36 trees a month, and we are 100% wind powered.
Calgary
“Awesome vegetarian food in friendly intimate atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Totally lucked out with an outdoor table last Saturday for a late lunch of the most amazing food from a very comprehensive menu and wonderful service. My husband had the war & peas soba noodle salad with fresh vegetables & seared tofu in a ginger and lime sauce and I had the satay bowl with steamed broccoli, sautéed tofu and greens on rice vermicelli topped with spicy satay sauce. Both the dishes were exceptional and the ingredients so fresh - a truly enjoyable experience and a restaurant we will return to often.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Western North Carolina
“Great, Tasty Vegetarian Food, Patience Required”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Chances are, you're not going to be able to eat dinner in this really good Vegetarian restaurant. They don't take reservations or call-aheads. We came by about 6:45 on a nice Thursday evening, and were told that the wait would be an hour and 40 minutes. When I quizzed the receptionist, about when one could be more quickly seated for dinner, she said "come when we open at 5:00PM, and you'll be seated right away." I'm still in the office then, and by the time I can get to the restaurant, the wait is over an hour, way beyond my patience zone. (Now this might be different on a snowy January night.)

But here's the good news - you can probably be seated at lunch or weekend brunch with little or no wait - And, many of the dinner items are also on the lunch menu. We had a delicious lunch. I spent some time admiring some interesting choices on the cocktail menu, but it was too early in my day to try them out.

Sooo, either be prepared to hang for a really long time before dinner or go for lunch or brunch.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Battleford, Canada
“Ruined me for any other restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I'm overdue in writing this review since it's been almost a year since I was at The Coup. However, I now realize that I measure every other restaurant by this place and nothing else has measured up, even though I've done a quite a bit of traveling this past year and searched out a lot of plant-based food on my vacations. The Tempeh Shawarma was amazing and I have tried to recreate it a few times at home (close, but not quite!) and my lunch date had the falafel quesadillas which were also amazing.

I can't wait to get back to Calgary next month so I can go back to The Coup and try something else!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Calgary, Canada
“Fantastic Choices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This place is always busy at lunch! Go early. The choices for those with strict dietary concerns are great! Wonderful service, and not too expensive!

Visited June 2013
Saskatchewan
“Yummy Vegetarian in Downtown Calgary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were very lucky that we were able to get a table over lunch at this popular downtown location, as it is quite busy and usually lined up. The menu is quite extensive and also has a large breakfast contingent - a lot of the dishes looking pretty tasty, but I decided on the satay and it was offered with either peanut sauce or almond sauce. I chose the almond and it was delicious. It came in a large bowl packed to the brim with delicious fresh ingredients over a bed of rice noodles. I nearly managed to finish it all.
As we were all starving, I also shared a 'smoothie of the day' with a friend to tide us over until our food came. It hit the spot. Even though the restaurant was full our food came really quickly and we were able to dig in right away. The staff were all really friendly and helpful and we were well attended to.
The Coup offers a cookbook with many of their popular past and current dishes in it and we had so much fun looking through the delicious recipes that a few people in our party ended up purchasing it.
Overall I really enjoyed this restaurant and would go back. The food was great and the atmosphere was fun and relaxed. It's in a very busy spot so parking can be tricky and as we went right at lunch time the restaurant was also very busy - go a bit early or a bit later to avoid disappointment. If you're a meat eater who doesn't enjoy vegetarain once in a while then this is likely not the restaurant for you.

• Visited June 2013