“good but expensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sugo

Sugo
1214-9th Ave SE, Calgary, Alberta, Canada (Inglewood)
403-263-1115
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sugo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #294 of 3,019 Restaurants in Calgary
Cross street: 11 St SE
Cologne, Germany
“good but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We love the Sugos and visit it always once when staying in Inglewood. It's always a pleasant stay. Service is excellent. But take care: it's quite expensive and you should calculate around 200 CAD for 2 people for a three course menu including wine and espresso.

Visited July 2013

Calgary, Alberta
“Not quite sure what to say about it exactly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I was not a big fan of this restaurant. I was first turned off by the little small print line at the bottom of the menu stating that each person will be charged $1 for unlimited "Q filtered water and bread." Seriously? $1 for water? Apparently this is something that many restaurants in the area are doing, charing for filtered water. We live in Canada. I don't worry about my water. Ridiculous.

Our waitress was not very pleasant, almost like it was an effort to serve us. She warmed up a little bit later in the meal, but very poor first impression.

Regarding ambience, it was quite nice. Half of the restaurant sits up higher on bar stool like chairs facing couch benches, the other half is more traditional table and chairs.

Regarding food, not the best I've had. Restaurants like La Brezza show why it's the #1 restaurant in all of Calgary. Had the calamari as an appetizer. Different from usual calamari I had, it came in a bowl with vegetables and a broth, almost soupy. Taste was good, just wasn't for me. For my main I chose pasta and had the carbonara. First time I've had it where the egg that comes in it was just turned over easy so that you can break the yoke. Enjoyed that. However the bacon that came was far too fatty and gristly. I understand some fat for flavour, but this was far too much, unreasonable.

I might give it a second chance to see if another visit might offer another experience, but charging for water, poor service, and too high of prices as far as I'm concerned will likely stop me from doing so. Not particularly pleased.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Calgary
“Ambience, Fine Wine and Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Cozy ambience with great service. Great place to go for couples and as a small group. Parking on street. Only thing I disliked was I could feel a draft of cold air every time the front door was opened. Good idea to wear a sweater.

Visited December 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Gourmets Dining with Savvy Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Great Dinning Room next to a Bar in foyer. High Energy atmosphere with great Service...... to top it all, not over-priced.
Super local gem for friends gathering as well as a romantic occasion.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Calgary
“The food and service were terrific.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

From the moment we walked in the door we felt welcomed. We were waiting a few minutes at the foot for the table but they offered us a glass of wine while we waited. Their menu had something for everyone.

• Visited March 2013