“Definitely Going Back!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Casbah Restaurant

The Casbah Restaurant
720 11th Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada (Beltline)
Website
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Beltline
“Definitely Going Back!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The food was amazing!!! The service was awesome as well. Our server was very friendly and had great knowledge of the food as well as the culture. We had the 5 course meal and everything included was spectacular. Good sized portions and the flavour was perfect. We have already decided that we are going back again, this time bring some friends to experience it as well!! Oh and the decor, how could I forget that...It was great!! Romantic, peaceful and comfortable. We are looking forward to going back again!!

• Visited November 2013

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great ambience and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Had the 5 course dinner menu for 2.
Wonderful romantic décor and superb service. You can tell right away they pride themselves on providing a unique dining experience with the wonderful handwashing at the table before eating.
The lentil soup was a bit too salty and what I can only describe as a strong tomato paste taste and consistency. The mixed salad was much better, especially the beets and corn which had delicate flavours. The cinnamon on the carrots was a bit too strong. The next appetizer was deep fried phyllo pastries - one with spinach with cheese and the other with mergez - both were delicious but a bit heavy for an appetizer with the deep frying. We had the two tajine options on the menu for entrees - the lamb with preserved lemons and peas looked beautiful - but there were only two olives and one preserved lemon. I mustered the courage to ask for more lemon. To truly enjoy this dish however, I think one has to have every bite of meat with a sliver of lemon and olive. The Moroccan meatball tajine had beautiful potatoes and chickpeas that were molten with slow cooked flavor. Too bad both tajines were a bit too salty.
I should have prefaced this review with the fact that I'm a salt monger...I always tend to like food saltier than my friends and husband. So for me to find things salty...well, that's impressive.
The dessert was a very generic and unimpressive baklava with vanilla ice cream.
Overall, we loved the ambience, service and presentation of the meal. Perhaps the a la carte items were better? I would definitely go back to try it out. However, the set menu fell a bit short.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“The Casbah.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I dine out very often and in the past 15 restaurants I have been to The Casbah Restaurant is by far my favourite. The service is hands down from the heart, they are welcoming and friendly. The atmosphere is warm and majestic, with just the right sounds playing to your ear. Such a beautiful setting for a traditional and flavourful stew of tender lamb with the perfect amount of sauce to dip that wonderful bread in. This is my new favourite place

• Visited October 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Best Service, Food Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Casbah is always our best choice in Calgary for Moroccan food. We keep going back regularly as a couple or with a group. the food is fresh and delicious. We tried other Moroccan restaurants but none do better than The Casbah.
Thank you for the warm welcome and the wonderful food and atmosphere!

• Visited October 2013
“Really bad service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Terrible customer service, the owner/waiter gave opinions about a question my wife asked him if they had a salad with chicken (she's gluten intolerant) and his answer was : "This is not an american restaurant where you can have a Caesar salad with chicken... People come here for the food not to be served things we consider bad"... my wife informed him that we were there because we were meeting some friends. We'll never go there again. Looks cheap "romantic" with uncomfortable seats for eating (sofas and ottomans), some dusting is needed, it's in a basement and the way to the main door needs to be remodeled. A comment from one of our friends was: "In my country you bring your mistress to a place like this, dark and hidden, so nobody sees you", go figure...

• Visited July 2013