“Delicious Food, Exceptional Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Il Centro

Il Centro
106-6036 3 Street SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada (Alyth - Bonnybrook - Manchester)
(403) 258-2294
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #260 of 2,772 Restaurants in Calgary
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Alyth - Bonnybrook - Manchester
Halifax, Canada
“Delicious Food, Exceptional Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My sisters and I took my dad here for Father's Day. He constantly raves about the pizza and pasta, as he is a frequent customer. We were surely not disappointed! The pizza was absolutely delicious. Some of my favourite in the city. The server was very hospitable, it was an overall wonderful restaurant experience. I do advise to make a reservation during rush hours, as it is quite small and can be busy during the dinner hour.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Calgary, Canada
“Excellent Little Find for Simple Pizza and Italian Basics”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was looking for an easy take-out pizza place. Il Centro came up first in my search. Good reviews on local web sites. Being new to Calgary, have to trust other web reviews for places to go. This is a great little find. In odd/small business strip mall. Small friendly looking place, reasonable prices. Called for take-out, ready in 30 mins. Amazing cheese pizza for kids. I had another pizza choice - asked for substitution of prosciutto in lieu of ham....usually you'd get 2-3 slices....I got half a leg of prosciutto.... And the good stuff. Delish!! Both pizzas were very large for larges (good for leftovers). Nice thin crust, flavourful sauce. Great caprese salad, order of tiramisu which was fantastic. Tasty without being sickly sweet or boozy tasting.

The only item that wasn't a winner was the calamari. It has a a slight coating on, which would be fine except it was very spicy. While I don't mind heat, my hubby is a not heat/spice kinda guy. Perhaps a grilled calamari with garlic, capers or olives and EVOO. Was good quality squid, just lose the heat. If you like spice, you will enjoy.

I'd definitely go back to dine in. Although a small menu, primarily pizza/pasta, dishes look yummy coming out of kitchen, reasonable portions and small wine list was reasonable priced. At 5:45pm, was pretty busy. Friendly staff.

Looking forward to a date night here. Highly suggest for take-out or eat-in.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

One of the best pizza joints in the city, can always find a table and the service is excellent. The Calamari? oh my lord, some of the best I ever had....and I'm European.

Highly recommend it and get that Calamari!

Visited March 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Pre Cooked Pasta not Exactly Authentic Italian”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We went to Il Centro after hearing all of the glowing reviews. After travelling extensively throughout Italy many times, and having just returned only two weeks earlier, I was excited for the true Italian experience.

Boy, were we disappointed! I had the Penne Calabrese, and my wife had Linguine in a Pomodoro sauce. Like one of the other reviewers, I too had to ask the waiter what exactly the different sauces meant. There was no mention of the choice of pastas that you could have with any of them.

Nothing says "non authentic" to me than to get a plate of mush for your pasta. It was obviosly pre-cooked (blanched) so that they could serve it quickly (the restaurant was very busy). Sadly the majority of Italian restaurants in Canada and certainly the USA do the same, as most people are not patient enough to wait while the pasta is cooked to order. If you find one that does (Mercato), you will definitely notice the difference. You will NEVER receive pre cooked pasta in Italy!

Perhaps I need to try the pizza. Although it looked good, it didn't appear to be anything at all like the pizzas I just had in Napoli. Authentic Neapolitan? I don't think so. Try Pulcinella's for the real deal.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Calgary
“Great Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This family-run restaurant is a hidden gem off the beaten path. They have authentic Italian food with a good wine selection. Their gnocchi in rose sauce is the best I've ever had!

Visited August 2012