“The best steaks & ambiance in Calgary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Smuggler's Inn

Smuggler's Inn
6920 Macleod Tr. S, Calgary, Alberta T2H 0L3, Canada (Southwest Calgary)
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Smuggler's Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #200 of 2,927 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Southwest Calgary
Cross street: Glenmore Trail & Macleod Trail South
Canada
“The best steaks & ambiance in Calgary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We go here with family and business partners often. Since I've been a kid it was a favourite place to eat and the quality of food has remained consistently great. The chairs are huge wingbacks that make you feel like a king, the lighting is dimn and ambiance relaxing. The restaurant garners their food from local farmers and businesses, something not many restaurants can say. The service is the best, the washrooms are beautiful and when it's really cold outside, make sure you book a table by the fire.

Visited December 2011

Toronto, Canada
“Best Steak Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I was in Calgary for business and was recommended to have a steak at Smugglers. The steak was in my opinion the best steak I ever had and the salad bar was second to none. I will definitely go back the next time I'm in town.

Calgary,Alberta
“All restaurants should operate like this!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

There is nothing bad- the end. Seriously, this restaurant can't fail, we been there now easy 15-20 times and each time we get treated like a valued consumer. This was the first time we came with our 3 yr old daughter.

The Server- Jason, awesome, everything came fast, very friendly, he even comped my daughters Salad bar since she did not eat that much. How many restaurants would do that.

No offence to those who give this restaurant a 1 or a 2, but you belong at Mcdonalds, and their type of steaks.

• Visited September 2012
Drumheller
“Nobody has better beef than Smugglers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Had lunch Friday this week we both ordered beef dip. I think it's the best deal on the menu as you get the salad/soup bar too. Beef done to perfection, great service and nice quiet dining room. Would go to Smugglers before Cattlebaron.

• Visited October 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Good food, dated decor, and slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We moved to Calgary almost 8 years ago now, and had been meaning to get to Smuggler's Inn, but didn't make the trip until last weekend (Sept 2012). First off, this restaurant is off of MacLeod Trail, and there are a number of restaurants housed in the same building. The parking lot was, unsurprisingly, full. We had to park almost a block away on a side street with no sidewalk.

We had reservations so were seated promptly. Unfortunately, even though we had made a reservation well in advance, we ended up being seated at a table for two at the end of the salad bar, so it was a high traffic and high noise location. The ambiance is a little silly (king chairs - literally like your own throne - huge arms, and the backs went well above your head when you were sitting down, along with some lovely red velvet upholstery ) - and it looks to be long overdo for a facelift.

The service started out quite nice. The server was friendly, and we received our pre-supper drinks quite quickly and were able to order. We then went up to the salad bar (free with entree), and had a bowl of the steak soup, which was too viscous for my taste, and the salad bar. The salad bar was fine, nothing outstanding, but what one would expect. We then had a 1/2 litre of wine which came with supper, again, in a timely manner. I had the 'small' prime rib meal, which was extremely tasty (however, due to its' gargantuan proportion, I took over 1/2 of my meal home & was able to feed another member of the family who didn't go out with us). My husband had the steak neptune, and was quite happy with his meal.

Once we were finished eating, it seemed like the waiter forgot we were there. He walked by our table numerous times (due to its' location), but didn't make eye contact or stop to see if we wanted anything else. I finally had to call out to him on one of his walk pasts, and ask for our bill (about 1/2 hour after we had finished eating). We received it, then had to wait another ten minutes or so to pay using debit.

I would hesitate to try this location again due to parking and the ambiance, specifically. Service changes from one waiter to another, so I wouldn't count it out due to our service experience.

• Visited September 2012