“A decent meal but not cheap” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Matador Pizza & Steak House

Matador Pizza & Steak House
4625 Varsity Dr NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada (Northwest Calgary)
(403) 286-3133
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #667 of 2,927 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“A decent meal but not cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We recently ended up at Matador's after trying to get into another restaurant on a very busy Friday evening. It has been years since we've been here but always had decent meals in the past. When we arrived, there was a small line-up for the restaurant but we were able to get into the bar right away (where it was considerably quieter). By the time we left there was a long line-up for both. I ordered the peach mandarin spinach salad and my husband had the fish & chips. Both meals were tasty and good-sized portions. The pizzas seemed to be the most popular item, at least in the bar and they looked delicious. The service was prompt and friendly. The meal was not cheap, especially with a couple of drinks thrown in but that seems to be par for the course at most restaurants in Calgary. I would go back.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

YYC
“Used to be a favourite - what happened?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I went for dinner at 7pm. We don't go often, maybe two or three times a year and it has been quite some time since we were here last. Service was good. We ordered a house salad with house dressing to split. My wife ordered the lasagna with meat sauce and I ordered the same pizza I have been ordering for at least 20 years, the Matador Special. It has been reliably very good pizza and is the whole reason I come to this restaurant. The salad was good. My wife said her lasagna was good but not as cheesy as it has been in the past. My pizza was a total letdown. It looked and tasted nothing like the pizza I have been getting in the past. To top it off, the crust was partially burnt. I mentioned it being burnt but was effectively blown off. Too bad, won't be back and now I have to find a new old-school pizza joint.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“dissapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We were looking forward to a nice meal for New Years Eve. Didn't happen. Vegetables were cold. The server took them back and after a long time they came back luke warm. Baked potatoe was warm and no server came around with condiments. Stuffed potatoe after reheating was over cooked. Took forever to get a second cup of coffee. Won't go back for anything other than pizza.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Great pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

First time visiting this place. Very good deep dish pizza. Lots of toppings and cheese. Side salad was good too. Fast service. Will visit again.

Bloomington, Minnesota
“Large portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Three of us went for dinner at the Matador. The meal was good with large portions. Not inexpensive but decent value.

• Visited September 2013