“Great coffee and cookies” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Higher Ground

Higher Ground
1126 Kensington Rd NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada (Hillurst)
403-270-3780
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #510 of 2,927 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Café
Neighborhood: Hillurst
Neighborhood: Hillurst
Calgary
“Great coffee and cookies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is where we like to stop Wednesday mornings with the grandkids. The coffee is superb and the kids love the massive cookies. It is one of the city's unique coffee shops and eateries because it added a glass ceiling after a renovation and their is always colourful local art on the walls. Still, the mellow coffee blend, Dave and the skilled baristas keep me coming back for a flavourful wake-me-up warm-me-up.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Calgary, Canada
“Good Food, Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

10 years later and I keep coming back. It must be good. I like that Higher Ground offers food, breakfast, coffee, lunch, dinner, wine. They are always consistent, always affordable and always tasty.

The decor...meh...it doesn't matter to me what the decor is like. Service rocks + food is good = Winning.

We stopped in for a coffee following dinner in Kensington. Hubs & I had coffee, the boy had a cookie and we shared a coconut crave bar. Service was good, prompt. Coffee was intense...with darn good foam on my cappuccino (I tried turning the spoon upside down over hubs head and the foam stayed put). No doubt Higher Ground gives good foam.

And the coconut crave bar, to die for...if you are a coconut fan that is.
Delightful in all ways.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“Excellent coffee and awesome atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

If I lived in Kensington I'd probably start (and end?) every day at Higher Ground. Their coffee is some of the best I've tasted, and with free trade coffee and quality tea I'm impressed and very satisfied every time I go in. Great staff and a great place to meet people and stay for a while.

Visited May 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Meh”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Located in one of the more hip urban areas of Calgary, Higher Ground is a big disappointment. The tables are often covered in old dishes or newspapers that people were reading and left on the table. Service is only OK & prices are pretty high. I find the coffee to be average at best & simply not worth the price. I also find the cafe rather warm inside with little airflow.

I suspect part of the draw to this place is it's location and it's "hipster value". Sadly, there is little that's original or good about this place.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Chocolate whip cream"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

The best part of was the chocolate whip cream on my hot chocolate. We went there on a sunday afternoon and it was jammed packed. Kind of on the messy side and they had run out of banana bread and muffins. There bakery bin was empty!! It was hard to find a place to sit even though its so big.

• Visited March 2012