“Food was ok - service was terrible.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Da Guido Restaurant

Da Guido Restaurant
2001 Centre St NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada (Northeast Calgary)
(403) 276-1365
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Northeast Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Food was ok - service was terrible.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Ok, I have to start by saying - I dont like to give bad reviews. Unfortunately I have to in this case. I recently went here for a shared birthday dinner for 2 couples and we were all quite looking forward to it. I had planned to write a long review here,but will keep it simple. The food ( at least mine) was quite average nothing exceptional. The waiter who served us was older, aggressive - encouraged us ( actually told us) to order quickly - left no room between courses - and then disappeared at the end of the night. We had to ask a different server for our bill ( we were ignored for 45 minutes which considering that we were asked to order quickly was quite hard to swallow) Many on here seem to love this place. The mood in the restaurant seemed very much like a "regulars club". If you weren't a regular, then you weren't very welcome. It was definitely not a place I would go back to. Thats amore? Definitely not for me.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Calgary, Canada
“Excellent Food, Sleazy Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was my first visit to Da Guido's. I went in a party of four people. For two of us it was a birthday celebration. When we arrived it took them a few minutes to get organized and seat us, which in the grand scheme of things wasn't a problem. Once seated, our server came to the table to explain the specials. It was at this point that he started to rush us by saying that we needed to get our orders in as they were going to get busy and he needed to get the orders in. We ordered our appetizers and entrees. They gave us a complimentary bruschetta which was excellent and I had a caprece salad as my entree which was very nice. We all enjoyed our appetizers, but we didn't enjoy the fact that as we were finishing them the entrees were brought out. The server informed us that he had plans to go out that evening... apparently we were getting in the way of his social life. The restaurant didn't fill up noticeably and there were empty tables in there, so the apparent busy period never came. As we finished our entrees and ordered desert the server was socializing extensively with people at another table, and behaving in quite a sleazy way with one of the woman at that table. Once we had been served our deserts, we did not see the server again. We waited and waited to be asked if we would like another drink, waited to get our check but nothing. In the end we had to ask for the check and we left.

I would go back because the food was absolutely delicious, but I am not drawn back by the service and for that reason will likely try out other italian options locally before I try Da Guido's again. Who knows, maybe by then the server will have had his date and feel more inclined to serve his patrons...

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
calgary
“My (experienced) pick for best Italian in Calgary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Old school, this place is very old school. Old school decor, service and menu. And in this case, that's a very good thing.

It's upscale in price, wine selection and delivery of classics. No fancy fusion here. Just solid, beautifully cooked pasta, veal, fish and meats. A great place for a date, business or getting grandma (87) drunk on her birthday. The staff were very discrete with grandma. Our waiter smiled when she chugged her last glass of white wine. Staff lined up all the way to the exit providing support and making sure she didn't fall over. They giggled with her, just enough. Well done.

• Visited October 2012
Canada
“Mouth watering food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husbands company took us here for dinner. The food was absolutely phenomenal. Really great pasta, the meat was tender, the wine pairing were great and the service friendly. Would highly recommend this little Italian restaurant in Calgary.

• Visited January 2012
Calgary, Canada
“A memorable birthday dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

It had been a number of years since I had been in to Da Guido's and it is even better than I remembered. I was asked where I would like to go for my birthday and I so glad that I suggested Da Guido. Our servers were over the top and we did not even look at any menu's, once they found out it was a birthday dinner we were treated to a superb selection, picked for us, that continued right through to our dessert and special coffees'. The atmosphere was very relaxed and it was apparent the other patrons were enjoying themselves as well. We will be back very soon.

• Visited October 2012