“Woefully inadequate” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Canadian
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Inspired by Wellington's Fine Dining of Calgary, the CattleBaron Steakhouse and Bar was created and designed as a casual alternative for the upscale steak enthusiast. Soon recognized as Calgary's premiere casual steakhouse, the CattleBaron offers our guests the finest quality Alberta beef, carefully selected wines, and world famous western hospitality and service. Using the freshest ingredients and homemade recipes passed on for all to enjoy. From business clientele to families alike, our guests can enjoy lunch or dinner in a comfortable atmosphere that is both affordable and relaxed.
Kamloops, Canada
“Woefully inadequate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

We went here with my daughter and her girlfriend to celebrate her 25th birthday, what a disappointment. They were so looking forward to a good steak dinner and we wanted it to be something special with a local, casual and fun atmosphere.

We ordered cheese toast to start and it arrived within minutes. Mostly soggy from the garlic butter they used, it was at least hot when we got it.

The mains arrived a few minutes later and we realized quickly that both the garlic mashed and baked potato and veggies were only warm at best. We caught the attention of a passing waitress and she immediately headed off to remedy the situation with replacement items. Meanwhile we started in on our steaks so as to not have to eat them cold. Grizzled and extremely thin, the New York strips were only tasty because they had been dipped in garlic butter before serving. At $26 each we expected much better.

The replacement veggies and potato items arrived about 1 minute later and were clearly microwaved. The baked potato was okay, however the mashed were now mush and the veggies flaccid bits of matter. We commented to our waitress that this was really not good and my daughter suggested a remedy should be forthcoming on our bill.

Unhappy and disappointed, we were presented with a bill for the full amount and left to mull over the situation.

My suggestion is to save your money, find a better steakhouse and get on with life.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Calgary
“Food great but the wine list is horrible”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

Recently went out of my way on one of the worst winter driving days. Had heard about this restaurant and really wanted to try the food. Because of the poor driving conditions there were few patrons. The staff was very attentive.
The food was very good and everyone in the group enjoyed their choices. Greatly disappointed in the wine list as the selections were what you could get at any restaurant in town (reads the same old same old). Absent were any Malbecs or other new world wines or for that matter anything 'out of the ordinary'.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, AB
“The food is great - the staff need some enlightenment.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

The burger was one of the finest I have eaten - well cooked, still moist, served with red onion (a necessity) fresh tomato and lettuce.

My only complaint would be in regards to the server (woman). I took my man out for dinner (Nov. 18/09) - not once during my entire visit did I (female) receive eye contact from our server. All attention was directed to my partner (male). It was offensive and I was looking for the opportunity to discuss this with the server only I never did get eye contact which I feel is necessary before a conversation can take place.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“NE location is woefully inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

I have eaten at the NE location of the Cattle Baron many, many times over the years. (Once a month recurring work function). I have to say it is the biggest crapshoot for what you are going to receive. Some days, the steak is very good. Other days, you may as well order the $9.99 steak sandwich at your local pub. You just never know what you're going to get here. The prices are far too high, in my opinion, for the lack of consistency. I have heard good things about the South location, and will reserve judgement as I have never been. The only thing that is consistently good at the north location is the desserts (which should not be the claim to fame for a steakhouse). For the same price, go to Caesar's, or Ric's Grill. If you do have to eat here, try the Mango Berry Cheesecake.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good steak but slow service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

Good steak but slow service.