“It's so hard to admit, but I've fallen out of love with Teatro (for lunch)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Teatro Restaurant

Teatro Restaurant
200 8 Ave SE | Olympic Plaza, Calgary, Alberta T2G 0K7, Canada
(403) 290-1012
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Teatro Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #88 of 3,019 Restaurants in Calgary
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 1st Street SE
Transit: The C-train stations- Olympic Plaza and 1 st, are located on 7th Avenue and 1 Street SE, behind the restaurant.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“It's so hard to admit, but I've fallen out of love with Teatro (for lunch)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

It was our anniversary, and the weather was nice, so we opted for the patio.

Despite having a reservation, and the place not being packed, service was glacial slow. I'm glad I had cleared my schedule before leaving the office for lunch.

We started with a couple of appetizers. The calamari was nothing to be proud of. It was high quality, but nothing special. The antipasti plate was quite good, but still nothing extraordinary.

I opted for a quinoa crusted salmon, and my wife opted for the pork tenderloin special. Both were good, but again not exceeding any standards or wowing us. Especially considering our food arrived nearly 90 minutes after we arrived, and the tab was $150 without alcohol.

Our server was a ghost. Occassionally you would see them, once every hour or so they would appear near us - but being a ghost they didn't do anything to ehance our visit. They would just stand there and then float away. You could ask for something, and they would simply drift away - sometimes taking 35 minutes to bring out more sparkling water.

Dessert was good, as it always it at Teatro.

This was my second time at Teatro for lunch. Both times I had similar experiences. None of our dinner trips to Teatro have been negative in the slightest.

I will not have lunch at Teatro again, but I will return for dinner.
I will not dine on the patio again, Teatro's room is too nice to pass up.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Edmonton, Canada
“Good pre-theatre choice in Calgary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Teatro is located in the heart of Calgary near Epcor Centre and the Glenbow. Fairly pricey but a well designed menu with a number of interesting choices. Excellent service from a wait staff that clearly enjoy working there. Open Sunday evenings, unlike many downtown restaurants.

• Visited January 2014
Calgary, Canada
“perfect for special occasions, great setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

If you're looking for a place to celebrate a special occasion, Teatro is a great option. The ambiance and decor in the restaurant is absolutely beautiful. The service is top notch right from the start, and our server was very knowledgeable of their extensive 45 page wine list. For appetizers we shared the warm marinated olives and charcuterie board between the 6 of us. Tasted like we were in Italy, top quality, and very good. For dinner, we all ordered a variety of mains ranging from the specials of the day, to the scallops, gnocchi, pork chop, and rack of lamb. Everyone really enjoyed their food, and the server was very accommodating of my gluten allergy to ensure my scallops came grilled plain. There is a lot of technique put into each dish, and the open kitchen makes it fun to watch. The only thing we found slightly disappointing was the size of the portion compared to the price. The food is very expensive, and we would've expected a slightly larger portion (especially the fish special). Overall, it was a very good meal and I will happily go back, just make sure someone else has offered to pay!

• Visited December 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Beautiful setting, Wonderful Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Love this resturant. Booked on Opentable, simple and convenient

The only reason why it's now a 5 out of 5 is because of the slow service.
Lunch was delicious and worth waiting for however, like most business people I needed to get back to the office. Our server, failed to ask us if we were on a timeline and our main course took over 45 minutes to get to the table.

Servers in most upscale resturants are concious of time constraints an consider patrons needs during the lunch hour.

The meal was fabulous, beautifully presented and tasty. Always a pleasure to look at and eat!

• Visited December 2013
“Lovely spot for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had lunch at approximately 1:00 on a Tuesday. We did not have a reservation, but we were seated at a good table. The restaurant, although not full, was still vibrant and had many businessmen in suits. It’s a perfect spot for a business lunch meeting or one for pleasure.

We ate lightly - a salmon burger with fries for my companion, and a roasted vegetable salad for me, all washed down with several glasses of wine. The food was nicely prepared, although nothing unusual.

Service was lovely. It and the very attractive space were impressive and contribute to my favourable rating.

The only sour note was the coffee. My decaf and my companion’s regular were so weak and strange tasting as to be undrinkable. The wait person took both off the check.

I would certainly return.

• Visited November 2013