“A pleasant Dining Treat in Calgary” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Taj Mahal Restaurant

Taj Mahal Restaurant
4816 Macleod Trail SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada (Alyth - Bonnybrook - Manchester)
(403) 243-6362
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Alyth - Bonnybrook - Manchester
Fort St. John, Canada
“A pleasant Dining Treat in Calgary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

It is unlikely I would have found this ethnic gem on my own. Fortunately it was recommended by local friends who felt we would enjoy the experience and they were correct on many fronts. It does not have a palacial ambience, and certainly entering from the alley parking lot, down a staircase, one felt more like being taken to a undercover den than a great family dining room. None the less, the staff were very friendly and helpful in explaining and selecting menu items to create a balanced multi dish dinner for sharing between our party of five. Sensitive to a variety of preferences in terms of spicyness and food sensitivities, we ended up with a wounderful spectrum of flavors and heat, with smiles all round. No leftovers here, every morsal was heartily devoured with gusto! The service was very attentive. Unfortuantely I cannot speak to the value, our Calgary hosts treated, and we were very glad they picked the Taj Mahal!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Calgary
“Horrible mistreatment of clientele”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

NEVER EAT AT TAJ MAHAL! The food, service and management are absolutely horrendous! I ordered the lamb vindaloo, and was served an extremely watery sheep soup instead. (Lamb is young sheep, with a very distinct flavour and sold at a higher price). I complained to the management, to which I was treated horribly. The manager yelled at me, insisted his chef used lamb (lamb lovers out there, you KNOW the difference!) and told me the reason why it was watery was because I ordered it medium spicy. This man honestly thinks that cutting the dish with WATER means milder? He even went so far as to insult me, telling me to return to whatever hole I crept out of. Horrified, I shared this story on Facebook and was not surprised to hear multiple stories of similar distasteful experiences from my friends about gross mistreatment and verbal abuse from the manager and staff. I even had a former employee post that they cut corners, use substandard products as well as treat their staff terrible. DINER BEWARE!! For example:

Sherry: I got yelled at, actually yelled at, by the waiter monitoring the buffet the first - and last - time I went in there. I don't even remember why, exactly. I made some kind of rookie move/faux pas at the buffet. We were all completely shocked. I've never been back.
21 hours ago · Like

Art: This is how the Taj Mahal has always been! My Mom worked for them as a cook in the early 80's and said people used to always complain about their rude service and lack of food quality. They give their cooks, waiter/waitresses special instructions to cheap out on the amount of sauce or meat etc in a dish to cut costs.
Yesterday at 3:42pm · Unlike · 1

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“terrible food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I mean it . You can make out it wasn't fresh and good quality .Heard its under new owners. Having tried it before i expected things to better . But nothing to write about .Sorry i feel all money was wasted

Visited August 2013
Calgary, Alberta
“Taj Mahal continues to please”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Although I miss Sonny, the previous owner, now under new ownership this Calgary staple of fine East Indian dining (N.B.: this is the Canadian designation for the food of India) continues to please. The clean, revamped (if slightly sterile these days) interior, wide variety of foods, and excellent service continue to make this a best choice restaurant for me in Calgary. The one down side is that the prices have increased slightly, but it is still well worth the visit. As usual, my family and I went for the Sunday buffet. Everything I sampled was well-prepared and tasty, and deserts were more varied than in the past, with mango and other fruit, puddings, and gulab jamin. As I like relatively unaggressive food, I have always appreciated that the Taj Mahal keeps its hotter spices on a separate table to be added as diners prefer. As usual, one needs to park in a narrow alley east of and paralleling MacCloud Trail, from which one can see the identifying features of the Taj Mahal. Driving South on MacLoud Tr, I turn left at the Hooter's sign(!) and then take the first right, into the alley, Parking is available in a large but unevenly graveled parking lot opposite the (only) alley entrance.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“One of the spiciest curries I ever ate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Getting to this restaurant is a bit tricky as you have to go to the back of the restaurant to gain access to inside. We drove a couple of times on MacLeod Trail trying to figure the entry to this place.

Went here with a couple of friends. Staff were nice and service was prompt. We orders mixed vegetarian platter and samosa for appetizers. The samosas were nice, but the pakoras in the platter were a bit bulky and chewy.

The biggest mistake we made was to choose Madras as our curry spice level and that was too much to handle. We got Shahi Paneer, Daal, Kabli Chana and Aloo Ghobi with Naan and Roti. All I could taste was burning sensation on my tongue and even my stomach burned. The waiter should have warned us saying Madras is almost equivalent to chewing on a habanero pepper on the heat level. None of us could finish the entire dish :(

Hence, I cannot comment much on the curries other than they were greasy. The Naan was ok. Mango kulfi at the end was a life saver.

I would have given a better rating had I been warned about the spice.

• Visited September 2012