“Very Very Nice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1886 Buffalo Cafe

1886 Buffalo Cafe
187 Barclay Parade S.W., Calgary, Alberta, Canada (Downtown)
403-269-9255
Neighborhood: Downtown
Toronto, Canada
“Very Very Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We went here for brunch, and were not disappointed at all! I loved the ambiance and decor - old railway artifacts and photographs. I have not looked up the history of the site but I think it is an actual railway building - old wooden floor boards and the small room still boasting original kitchen appliances.
The food was great, as was the service, and I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it.

• Visited March 2011

Manchester, United Kingdom
“18.86 out of 20”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Excellent breakfast and actually very reasonably priced for this side of Calgary. Don't believe people who claim this is the best breakfast in Calgary, it isn't - you need to cross over to the Riverside Cafe for that, but you can expect to pay a great deal more there. We went at about 8:30 in the morning, any earlier it's normally packed out (confirming it's great reputation). I can thoroughly recommend it.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“Good food in a unique atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Recently went on a Sunday for brunch. I hadn't been in quite awhile, and the place is as charming as ever. The food is very good with large portions. Service is wonderful. It is a little pricey however but worth treating yourself!

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Plymouth, MN
“Great breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

The potatoes are amazing. Sizable portions and delicious food. Right next to the Sheraton Eau Claire.

• Visited April 2011
The Road
“As good as the hype”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

First, the room: there are some places that use kitsch to manufacture a semblance of atmosphere (think Sophie's Cosmic Cow in Vancouver), but in this genuinely old house, the western curios and photos seem real and organic. Second, the service: one of the servers came over to the door as soon as I walked in, took me straight to a table, poured my coffee as I was sitting down, came back right away for my order, and that order was on the table literally about two minutes after that! Third, the food: I was initially disappointed at the absence of pancakes, waffles and hash from the menu, but once I tasted my scrambled eggs and hashbrowns, I had no more complaint. The scrambled eggs were probably the second best I've ever had (Rogano in Glasgow served the best), and the hashbrowns were probably the best I've ever had. Admittedly, this is nothing fancy, just simple breakfast fare served in a simple room, but doing simple things well is a gift. This place now gets added to the list of my favourite breakfast spots (which, in case you're wondering, includes the Tomahawk Barbecue in North Vancouver, John's Place in Victoria, Szell's in Portland, and the 5-Spot in Seattle).

• Visited January 2011