“Nice property with poor service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Hopewell Way NE, Calgary, Alberta T3J 4V7, Canada (Northeast Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE between 10-30%!
Ranked #33 of 98 Hotels in Calgary
Surrey, Canada
“Nice property with poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for the fist time and was disaapointed from the very moment I checked in. Unlike other IHG hotels where they greet loyal members of the Priority Club program with goodies and all smiles, the staff here had a could not care less attitude. The rooms were nice and clean though the quality of towels left a lot to be desired. The breakfast was average by Holiday Inn standards. The poroperty has everything going for it if they can train the staff better and stop cutting corners.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors with a view of the city centre.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
White Rock, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

This hotel has a lot of good features...its new so everything is modern and clean (meaning no cracked tiles in the bath, nice furniture, big flat-screen). This last trip I had the 2 bedroom suite . I had called to ask if it was 2 separate bedrooms, and a separate living room , as it was myself and a colleague staying. I was assured it was...and it was but in a strange way - you walk through one bedroom to get to the other. So it is good for families with kids, but not if you want private rooms.
I am not a fan of the beds. They use some form of foam (I'm guessing?) as a mattress topper - so they feel great,, but if your body is hot at night (like mine), you will not sleep well. I kicked the covers off, but it didnt solve the problem as the heat was coming from below. I thought I may be crazy, but I stayed at 3 other hotels on this trip and none of them did this...
If you are a Priority Club member, there is no special recognition. The breakfast is the same as any other HIX (blah), but the foyer is very charming. There is a Moxies next door to eat at, and it is easy to get to. Not my favourite hotel at Calgary airport, but not so bad that I wouldnt stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Yarmouth, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I stayed overnight at this hotel in Sep 2011. I got in early and was able to check in right away. The front desk gal was very helpful regarding places to eat and get around outside the hotel. Because of the airport expansion, the location is not as good as it was (Barlow Trail all but dies, just past the hotel now!) I got to my room - very clean and roomy. It had a mini fridge, small sink and coffee maker; I noticed a piece of baseboard was on the counter. Not long after I settled in, a repairman came up to glue the baseboard on, and he wound up giving me all kinds of information about getting around and eating a good spots!

I worked out in the gym - it was big enough to be comfortable, one treadmill, elliptical, bike and lots of free weights. The air conditioning was great and the air circulation made the workout enjoyable. I didn't use the pool, though it was nice, with an indoor hot tub.

The business center - 1 computer - was easily accessed and the breakfast in the morning was standard for HI. The shuttle in the morning was on time, clean and efficient.

Overall, I would stay here again for an overnight stay for the airport. It is a fair distance from downtown and the attractions of Calgary, especially if you don't have a car; although the repairman said there was an LRT station not far from the hotel, and the shuttle would drive me there if he wasn't too busy with the airport rides.

Very enjoyable!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Grande Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel during the September long weekend while we were there to play ball at Jaycee Park. We were travelling with our whole ball team as well as our kids and were very happy with our stay! The staff is very helpful and pleasant, the kids loved the pool, which had a great (and fast!) slide and for once the main pool wasn't freezing cold!
The breakfast in the morning was great, more than enough selection and something for everyone!
The rooms were very clean and the beds were quite comfortable. This hotel was great for our ball team and awesome for a family travelling with kids!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

My wife and I stayed one night here, returning from Banff for a flight out of
Calgary the next morning early. We stayed the night of September 19, 2011.

We arrived a full two hours prior to check-in and I was just going to let the desk clerk know we were here and ask when we could check in. The very pleasant and efficient young lady at the desk proceeded to check us into the room as soon as I informed her of the reservation.

The hotel must be relatively new. Everything was spotlessly clean. The room was large and the bed comfortable, everything worked as it should, very comfortable. We left too early to have the included breakfast but the room where served was very large and again spotlessly clean.

The location was convenient to the airport, you did have to drive from the south end of the airport where the hotel is located to the north end where the terminal was located but the desk had already prepared written directions right on the counter to take for guests. The road was very direct with few intersections and a very easy drive.

The location was somewhat industrial, not a very pretty surrounding but the desk clerk recommended a restaurant at an adjacent hotel and we had dinner there. It was a quick walk, no need to use the car. There were many more restaurants within driving distance down a main road straight south, very easy as we took a "sight seeing" drive for the fun of it.

I reserve five of five ratings for premium properties, so called luxury hotels, and but for this I would rate this hotel 5 of 5, but sticking to my method I give it a four plus. Only the barren surrounding detracted from the property but after all this is an airport hotel and proximity to the airport is the chief location issue.

Room Tip: I don't think there's a great difference in rooms, perhaps request one away from the elevato...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Missed connecting flight, but was pleasantly surprised by the staff, service and accommodations at the Airport Holiday Inn Express in Calgary. Great staff, great shuttle drivers and a great room. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is flying in/out of the Calgary airport.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

This was a great place to stay when traveling by air. We checked in on Wednesday August 10, slept there, ate breakfast and took the shuttle to the airport. We were able to leave our car on the premises at $5.00 a night which was far less than airport parking.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and quiet. Breakfast is included and has just about everything that you could want. Staff are friendly. Check in is fast and efficient

We arrived back late on the evening of the 18th. Our room was held for us and although we were very tired from our long journey back we were in our room in minutes and we enjoyed a restful sleep followed by a delightful breakfast.

I would consider staying there for our next trip to Calgary.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary? Share your experiences!