“Great - A must see part of the world...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West

Save Saved
You added Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Bowridge Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta T3B 3R6, Canada (Northwest Calgary)   |
Ranked #74 of 98 hotels in Calgary
“Great - A must see part of the world...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We ttok a trip to Calgary in September for a wedding and decided to stay here as it was close to the ceremony and where our friends lived. I had of course read the numerous reviews on here and I was very apprehensive about paying good money to stay in a sub standard Hotel. We booked the jacuzzi room for the four nights we were in Calgary and this room was really comfortable and spacious. The Hotel is opposite the olympic village and this was our view from the bedroom, we were offered what side of the hotel we would like to stay on and this is the side to pick as the view form the other side is a bit industrial. This was my first time to Canada and as with everywhere we went the people were the most friendly I have encountered on my travels, the hotel staff being no exception, they were courteous, friendly and extremely helpful with any query. We really liked the room, air con was brialliant as it was high 20's and 32 degrees the day of the wedding. In saying this though, the heating and humidity in the hallways and the elevator was unbearable, we also heard a couple complain that it was worse down at the swimming pool. We didnt complain about this as we spent very little time in the Hotel so maybe there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this.
We ate in the Denny's attached to the Hotel on a couple of morning's, WOW they do big breakfast's - will keep you going for the day. There is also a Bar attached to the Hotel, we popped in here on two nights and had a ball with the staff and locals.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at this Hotel, spotless room, great size and very practical for heading into the Rockies, Banff etc...
P.S. This part of the world is a must to see...Banff is like a town from a disney movie - I can only imagine what it is like with snow...

Room Tip: Jacuzzi room facing the Olypmic village is my recommendation - they also have rooms with balconies o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

129 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

After driving across the country this was our last stop before edmonton. Check in was a breeze. Room was small and cramped, hair in the bathroom, strange red mark on the floor by the bed. when my fiance slid into bed he got coated in squished berries. DISGUSTING. room service said they'd call us right back. they didnt. this was 11pm!. we went down and they gave us a key to another room. it hadnt been cleaned. front desk didnt believe us and made us go all the way back up there dragging our things a 2nd time! put us in another room that smelt like pot. the fridge was hard to open from sticky filth. bathroom had face cloths on the floor. Sheets had a hole. Were told manager would help next morning. we were given a 30 dennys gift card. which didnt even cover our meal. night. from. hell.

Room Tip: dont stay here. period. unless you want to be surrounded by filth.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

In all my travels, I have never experienced such rude service from a front desk staff member - his name is Jeremy.

I was told that if I did not allow the hotel to put a $250 hold on my credit card for charging privileges, he would not give me my hotel keys - even though my room was already paid for. There was nothing on my reservation email or reservation form that stated I had to allow this and was ridiculous as I wasn't going to charge anything. I have stayed in four and five star resorts that do not do this.

I asked to speak to a manager and was told no one was on duty until the next morning (I checked in at dinner time). However, the in-room directory stated that there is always a manager on duty and to request one if necessary.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel unless you wanted to be treated rudely - especially by Jeremy at the front desk...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank for your response for your last stay. We have checked your reservation and as the reservation was made online by yourself and not via a 3rd party site like Expedia/Travelocity your credit card was not charged at time of reservation. With all reservations we do require the guests to have a valid credit card along with ID to ensure safety of your information. The $250 as mentioned is to cover the Room and Taxes for your reservation and to provide you with charging privileges for the onsite restaurant and lounge along with pay per view movies and phones. We do apologize for the inconvience this may have caused.
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel. When I went to check in a disgruntled employee was complaining about his work place to a friend on the phone. He seemed flustered when he began the check in process with me. When I entered the room there was the sound of running water when I entered. Upon inspection, I discovered the toilet was running because the valve inside the tank was not properly seated (easy fix). Not so pleasing was the pubic hair on the toilet seat and the used Kleenex under the sink. The room itself was spacious and the seating area nicely separated the bed from the rest of the room. Overall the finishes in the room were nice, but the room should have been cleaner.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Burnaby, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I was booked for a family reunion in this hotel and had heard from someone who had stayed at the hotel last year it wasn't a nice place at all. I was pleasantly surprised.

Although there were a few issues - our room type was incorrectly booked by the sandman as a king suite, we had been told we could check in early and our room was ready only to be told it wasn't when we arrived, and finding a dead fly on the windowsill when we first arrived, everything else was good! The room (301) was very nice, clean (except for the above) and while I wasn't impressed that the orginal two bed request had turned into a king and a hide a bed, the sofa bed wasn't too bad after all according to my son. The biggest complaint I had was the wifi was painfully slow, almost non existent. For a company as large as sandman is, this should have been much better than what it was.

Overall, I would stay there again without hesitation and would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lethbridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family (two kids, two adults) stayed in a Suite. King bed, double sofa.

The hotel isn't the newest, some of the furnature is a bit dated....but it is clean. In the living room area we had an older TV (not flat screen), but in the bed room there was a flat screen mounted to the wall.

The kig bed was comfy, and the kids said the soaf bed was comfortable too. There is a pool and a hot tub (sorry kids, no water slide), but it is close to Calaway Park. It is within walking distance to Denny's (attached), McDonalds and Subway.

Someone complained that in a room this size there are only two sets of towels. That's true, but all you have to do is ask for an extra set or two. If you don't ask, don't complain.

Like I say, average, but really, that's ok!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as it was close to Calaway park. We as a family were excited for the room we rented for a night as it was a loft. We settled in and went for supper at Dendys (food could be way better, should of ate at Wendy's). We went back to our room, and then I noticed how dirty the floor was. It looked as if it wasn't cleaned in awhile, the bathroom was even dirtier.. We couldn't check out either as hotels nearby and closer to downtown were booked solid. We had no choice to stay here. It was time for bed and as I pulled back the sheets I found a WORM in the bed. Called front desk and the gentleman was NO help and couldn't change our rooms as they were full too. He came and inspected the wiggling worm, came back with fresh sheets and told us we had to make the bed as he DIDN'T want to. We were shocked and very unhappy at this point and tried to call numerous hotels and couldn't get anything. The gentleman then took the worm and told us he will advise his supervisor of the situation. Good thing we took a picture!!! To our surprise no one at the front desk the next morning knew of the situation... At this point we were pissed and just wanted to leave..... We will NEVER stay here again...

• Stayed July 2012
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time and providing us the feedback on your stay. We have investigated the matter further and this was an isolated issued with the worm you found on your bed. Housekeeping department has also been notified of this situation to ensure that this doesn’t get repeated. Our records do indicate that our staff did try to rectify the concern brought up in the morning by providing 50% off the room rate. If this is not correct please contact the hotel directly.

Been to Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West? Share your experiences!