“Second time and no change” 2 of 5 stars

Type: Science Museums
Activities: Leisure education
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: TELUS Spark is a non-profit organization with a mission to become a role model and force for social change. It takes a core set of skills to create something new, whether it's a ground breaking discovery or a toy robot. TELUS Spark is a place to build these skills by using your imagination to see beyond what exists, your curiosity to formulate a question and persistence and problem-solving skills to keep going, despite surprises and mistakes, to find the confidence in yourself to uncover the answers.
“Second time and no change”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

This trip was our second visit to spark. We first went when the building first opened and it was interesting. There was not alot to do but we just chalked it up to the buildings newness and that there has not been time to get the new displays up. The planetarium was also not open. This time we went to see a exhibition called "making a monster." The exhibition was set up in the atrium of the center. One would think that with this huge new building there would be a spot for a exhibition. It is an automatic $5 to park your car. Once inside it was $19.95 per adult admission charge and add another $8 per person, per show for admission to the planetarium. We toured the rest of the building after viewing the exhibition and found that nothing had changed. The original attractions are in the exact same spot as when the building opened.

There is one bright spot. The planetarium shows are great. We watched one on tornados and were entertained through the whole experience. However, small kids were not so entertained and were talking through the whole movie decreasing the experience. The shows are approx 40 minutes long and I believe they are overpriced for the length. I will never return to Calgary telus spark.

Medicine Hat, Alberta
“Not worth your time or money!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I grew up in Calgary and had been to the old science Centre quite a few times. We my 2 kids and I decided to take in the new facility with Grandpa. On top of the crazy admission price we had to pay extra for parking and also more to take in a planetarium show on the HD Dome. To total cost was an outrageous $98.00. We were there for 2 hours and my kids didn't learn anything scientific. It was as if they decided engineers were now scientists and then made a bunch of gimmicky displays to add to the "Wonderful" experience do not waste your time and money on this place. You will be right beside the Calgary Zoo...go there instead!

Calgary, Canada
“Against my better judgement after reading all the online reviews”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Against my better judgement after reading all the online reviews we still gave the Spark a chance.
$60.00 later and a few hours of my life I'll never get back I have confirmed as many others have.

1. Yes, cool building
2. Helpful staff
3. Parking good
4. Clean facility
5. To expensive
6. No exaggeration 9 of the exhibits were not in service or just broken
7. The jungle gym and a few of the water exhibits in the kids play area were pretty cool
8. The rest of the facility was boring boring boring
9. Then to further add insult to injury we paid for cold chicken fingers and fries.

I'm a proud Calgarian(tax payer) and a supporter of most facilities we build with our tax dollars but such a beautiful building located in a fantastic location, easily assessed etc I was expecting much more than what is currently offered. Hopefully management will continue to grow the attractions.

For now go to the Zoo, the penguin exhibit was an absolutely wonderful experience.

Visited February 2013
Calgary
“I would give it a 3.5 out of 5”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

When to TELUS Spark last weekend with another mom and we had with us 2 x 5 year olds and 2 x 10 year olds. Every one had a great time and we spent 2.5 hours and only made it through the first floor and wen to the fire demonstration. The kids were very engaged.

So why only 3.5? (hoping that this provides constructive feedback to TELUS Spark if they are reading this)

1. The price is steep - for me and my 10 and 5 year old it was $42 + $5 parking. We did like it enough that we figured it was worth to get a yearly pass and we even went for the Gold membership which induces parking and some other perks....although I'm not sure if it's totally worth it. Hoping we are not disappointed and that all these extra perks like sneak peaks at new exhibits will materialize.
2. In comparison to some science centers we've been to in Europe, this one is not quite there yet.
3. More tween and adult content is needed.
4. While everything is in pretty good shape, there were a few displays that needed to be spruced up already (eg. paint had rubbed off, pieces missing)
5. The membership package info I got was not customized for a Gold Membership, hence making me wonder what the value of my membership is. Also, other than one pamphlet for kids summer camps, all other info was printed on super thin paper and the ink was so faint that I had trouble reading some of it - also it was printed crooked...rather unprofessional I thought.

Visited January 2013
Calgary, Canada
9 attraction reviews
“NO IMPROVEMENT OVER OLD SCIENCE CENTER”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My 13 year old was so disappointed with this 'new' Telus Science Center. It seemed the old SC had more pizazz somehow. This one is actually boring. The price is steep and pay parking to boot makes it a very expensive outing that we didn't feel was matched in value. I can't see myself ever going back. This would probably be fun for very young children. The food in the cafeteria was atrocious! Really gross. Bring your own food.

Visited December 2012