“Cheap, rude, and a waste of money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Spa Europa

Spa Europa
100E 1029 17 Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta T2T-0A9, Canada (Mont royal)
403-229-1578
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #90 of 139 Activities in Calgary
Calgary
3 attraction reviews
“Cheap, rude, and a waste of money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

A very cheap spa. Their robes have holes in them, the lounge only has two love seats to sit on for everyone in the spa. My friend purchased one of their $300 packages that included a shampoo and conditioner treatment but they used No Name product! Not even regular brand name or salon quality products! Just the cheapest stuff they could find.
Another friend had a massage in a couples room with some strange man and after telling them about their mistake they offered a $25 gift certificate to come back and get another massage. Not enough to pay for a full massage. Just a ploy to get you back there in case your first experience wasn't bad enough. When we asked for a refund the manager was short, rude and accused me of trying to screw her over even though the entire experience for my group was horrible and a waste of time, not the way a spa experience should be.

Calgary
“DISSAPPOINTING :( and we are not hard to please”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

The trip to Spa Europa in Calgary was disappointing to say the least. Which is sad they started off with a great idea but fell very short in executing. My husband and I booked a couples retreat which was supposed to start off with a 20 min milk bath for 2 then go into a 1 hour massage each.

Well we got there and all seemed nice enough intimate little setting. Then they set us up in the ONLY change room which they put Occupied on the door when someone was in there, so if people in front of you took a long time you could be waiting awhile as it is the only set of showers, and the only steam room as well as the only place to change for EVERYONE in the spa.

They started us off with the massage, and it was OK the lady who did my massage didn't say a word to me from the second she walked in. She just started the massage no asking if I had problem areas or anything. My husbands masseuse actually asked him BUT didn't work on any of those areas. The oil they used had no scentit actually smelled stale, and was cold. After the massage which was only 40 mins not the HOUR we paid for we got rushed out of our massage room. Most places I have been let you have a moment or 2 while you get settled from the massage and let you get your robes on.Nnot this place we barely had a chance to get our robes back on after the women left, and they were opening the door telling us to go into to the hallway and wait. The hallway is a fairly high traffic area as everyone going to any treatment room moves through here, and there we sat on 2 uncomfortable wooden chairs waiting (we were lucky though because the couple that came out of the change room while we sitting there had no place to sit and wandered around looking for someone to tell them where to go).

So they had us sit out there in the busy hallway while they got the bath read. One girl started it and disappeared then another one came back and asked us why we were sitting there. We told her and she said oh then proceeded to run around a bit more then came back and let us in the room , told us to take our time which was nice BUT all the while there is another couple right on our heels as they had been taken in for their massage about 20 mins before we got the tub. As for the tub let's just say OIL and MILK BATHS don't mix you are so oily from the massage you slip and slide everywhere, it would have made more sense to have the relaxing milk bath before the massage so you are relaxed and clean and that is the way they say in the brochure that it goes BUT nope. Tpo top that off the tub area was not really clean, it was really dusty, lots of hair eveywhere and mold around the edges of the tub.

So then we get out and go back to the the change room which will soon be occupied as there is a girl at the reception waiting to come in, and then the couple who was receiving the same treatment as us, right behind us so we rush through our showers (by the way the showers are all mildewy and moldy as well (they have 2 showers in the room but only one has shampoo )and get dressed as quickly as we can because we can hear the girl at the front talking to the lady trying to find out why she has been waiting so long to go get changed.

They have some REALLY low end gel, and a blow dryer from the 60s and stuff for you to use to get cleaned up and they have left brushes with tons of hair and stuff on them for you to use as well (YICK). It was not the best experience I have ever had. Really rushed, staff was unorganised, and not overly friendly.

They really did start off with a good idea but did not follow through, they need at-least one more change room so people can alternate rooms and they need to stagger their appointments better so people are not being rushed. I would have loved to have had a steam with husband and been able to take my time with a nice shower but knowing someone was right on our heels who would need to be getting into the change room as well made everything so chaotic. Not really relaxing I must say

NYC
“The most elegant and endearing spa I've been to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

When I first walked in I was a bit overwhelmed by the surroundings. I lived in Europe for a few years, and the feeling of Spa Europa was so authentic it was weird to be in the middle of an all Canadian town and experience that. The owner is European (I don't know from where but clearly from there --she has a nice accent) and her delicate way was very charming, and grounding. It's exactly what I needed. It's not stuffy or pretentious, but it has a slightly aristocratic ambiance. It's not for everyone and there are homier put-your-feet-up-on-the-coffee-table places. But the elegance makes me feel good. They gave me a beautiful treatment and refreshments - again, authentic European. I spend a lot of time in spas, and though it's not the best in Canada, it is definitively the best in Calgary. Highly recommended!!

Calgary, AB
8 attraction reviews
“Terrible service!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

My girl friend and I went to Spa Europa for a nice girls afternoon. The package that we picked out was their signature "Turkish Hammam Treatment". DON'T GET IT DONE!!! It was so disappointing! First of all, we booked our appointment for 11 in the morning. When we got there, the doors were all locked up and we stood out side waiting for someone to get there for about 15 minutes. The girl that let us in must have been the receptionist, and she asked if we wanted anything. I asked if she had coffee, and she told me that they only had the instant kind.... that was my first clue that this place was cheap! So I said that I would just like some juice. It turned out to be powdered Tang.... yuck. The reception room is beautiful! But we ended up waiting in the reception room for 45 minutes. It's about noon now, and both my girlfriend and I are starting to get hungry. The package is supposed to have "an elegant luncheon". The girl said it wasn't ready yet when we asked so we had a couple of stale cookies instead.

Now, on to the "Turkish Hammam". First they steamed us for 25 min..... straight. On an empty stomach, that is probably not a good idea. Then they took us into a room and loofahed us for 10 min..... then back to the steam room for 25 min.... back to loofah for 10 min..... and steam for 25 min... and then loofah for 10 min. During the last loofah step, we got our "minature facial" which was cut up cold cuccumbers. There was no "Swedish Massage". Oh, and after the last loofah, they rinsed us off with cold milk. There was no moisturizing application. After they finished with us, I ran around the place trying to find some lotion for us! And to top this "experience" off, the "elegant luncheon" that they provided for us was a tortilla shell wrapped around some cream cheese with some strawberry jam on top, which they called a crepe. All this for the low price of $285.00 plus tax and gratuity.