“Delicious food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lake House

The Lake House
747 Lake Bonavista Dr SE, Calgary, Alberta T2J 0N2, Canada (Formerly Newport Grill on Lake Bonavista)
+1 403-225-3939
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Lake House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #223 of 2,927 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Description: Perched directly above Lake Bonavista with large glass windows overlooking the lake, The Lake House, formerly The Ranche restaurant, is home to one of Calgary's finest and most creative restaurants as well as a unique setting for weddings and corporate events. Exuding rustic elegance, the interior is illuminated with ornate elk antler chandeliers and accessorized with a grand stone fireplace. Catching your eye when you enter the restaurant, a brand new 130 square foot glass encased wine cellar as well as a refurbished 21 foot bar from the 1800's, previously housed in a mercantile shop in Montana, speak to the recent renovations. The outdoor patio provides the perfect opportunity to savour sips and enjoy delicious Rocky Mountain Cuisine. The Lake House features Canadian Rocky Mountain Resorts' (CRMR's) renowned and distinctive Rocky Mountain Cuisine. This is interpreted and presented by Chef Thomas Neukom. Chef Neukom and his team have heralded numerous culinary awards showcasing the regional flavour of Western Canada. Our locally inspired menus are complimented by a diverse wine list offering global selections authored by CRMR Wine Director Brad Royale.
“Delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

The Lake House is a comfortable room with a fireplace, overlooking Lake Bonavista in south Calgary. The menu is genuinely Canadian with a variety of meat and seafood dishes which are all unique. I had a smoked salmon appetizer which was outstanding (I'm a Nova Scotian so I know what I'm talking about with this dish! ). I tried the Mac and cheese with wild boar which was also delicious. Everyone in my group enjoyed the food very much. The staff is friendly and enthusiastic, but not attentive. The entire staff disappeared at one point and I had to go looking for our server. We would have ordered desserts and coffees but the attention to service was just not present. They really need to do some training and then this good place will be a great place. I plan to return in anyway and if you're not in a hurry I'm sure you will enjoy.

Alberta, Canada
“Everything I Expected and More”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I had always been impressed with The Ranche, being a regular customer for more than 10 years. So I was quite disappointed when I heard it was closing. In reality the restaurant was just moving and being renamed so I was quite anxious to go for dinner and see if it would meet the same high standards of The Ranche. We were not disappointed, everything from the charming decor, the friendly staff and the excellent service all matched the high quality meals.

I would definitely recommend the scallops which come with a unique wild boar with cilantro and citrus hollandaise sauces. The othe party in the group had the rib eye which was also perfectly done and nicely seasoned. For dessert I always like fruity deserts or chocolate. The flowerless chocolate cake was just good, the real treat to me was the apple and pear crumble. The crumble takes 15 minutes to prepare and definitely worth the wait.

Considering the restaurant has only been "reopened" for 40 days I would argue they haven't missed a beat and is everything we have come to expect and more for a really nice dining experience.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alberta
“Service growing pains with the new restaurant?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have been a loyal diner when this restaurant was The Ranche. I was excited to try Sunday Brunch last week at the new location. The atmosphere and location are great. The food is still wonderful. I had the quiche of the day which was so good. I have always had a fantastic experience at The Ranche but at the Lake House last week the service was lacking. We were there for a family brunch. When we arrived the hostess was not particularly friendly and did not smile once. She did ask me, once again, if I still had 8 people coming (this after I received a reminder of my reservation for 8 the week before through open table and a phone call from the restaurant the day before confirming it was still 8 people - how many times do you have to ask me??). After we were shown to our table we waited 15 min for someone to come and offer us coffee. Through the meal service was a bit slow although our waitress was attentive when she was there. Maybe they were short staffed? Anyway I will give the Lake House another try but if the service isn't up to the usual standards from this group of restaurants I may not go here very often.

• Visited March 2014