“Everything too greasy” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Edmonton, Canada
“Everything too greasy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This Denny's is 24 hours and connected to the Sandman Hotel. I ate here a few times since I was staying at the hotel. The first time was for dinner and we arrived to find a handful of other customers. The server was decent and brought us our drinks promptly. We ordered our food and it took a little bit longer to come out that I expected for 9PM.

I ordered the 'thanksgiving' dinner sandwich which comprised of turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sandwiched between 2 pieces of grilled bread. It was a bit greasy but I did like the combination. It was to come with gravy but I didn't get any nor did it need it. Based on this, I would rate it 3 stars.

The next visit was for breakfast. If you're looking for a quick breakfast, you would be better off at one of the nearby fast food places. There were 2 servers for 7 tables or so but the service was slow. The one waitress didn't seem very friendly either. Since most of the meals are 'big breakfastes', I ordered one of the smaller meals that came with 2 pancakes, 2 sausages, eggs, and hashbrowns. The pancakes were ok but not as fluffy as I like. Everything else was too greasy, including the eggs. I ate half my meal but that was enough.

I'm not a fan of Denny's and would rather pick other places to eat but I did like the convenience.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Calgary, Canada
“Nice atmosphere, food is touch and go - basic diner fare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We have visited this Denny's restaurant a number of times in the past couple of months. Here are our thoughts:
- this Denny's is attached to the Sandman Inn on Bowridge Drive just off the TransCanada Highway. The atmosphere of the restaurant is pleasant, with large windows allowing for plenty of natural light and comfortable seating.
- the staff are friendly and attentive for the most part, even when the restaurant is full.
- the restaurant is clean, no matter the time of day. We have been there for breakfast as well as late night (after 10 p.m.) and floors, tables, washrooms and even the kitchen, which can be seen from the dining area, are all clean.
- the food served is typical diner fare - burgers, sandwiches, salads as well as breakfast items.
- breakfast is average tasting, with good available choices such as 4 varieties of eggs benedict, omellettes, mix and match items like eggs, bacon or sausages, hash browns, pancakes, etc.
- a nice feature are the healthy option choices which include items with low fat, low calories, low salt and low carbs. These are available for breakfast and lunch/dinner.
- there are quite a few dessert options as well - the cheesecake with strawberry topping was very good without being heavy.
- the quality of the food varies though. We have ordered eggs over-medium and they have come out hard as a rock on occasion. Other times they are bang-on.
- had the eggs Benedict with prime rib. The meat was tough to chew for such a soft breakfast dish.
- one of the items we ordered was the chicken avocado sandwich (one of their light fare items) but it was as though we received a completely different sandwich. The pico de gallo that it was supposed to be served with was turned into a tomato slice and the grilled chicken breast was blackened and charred. A bite was taken out of it, but it was decided that the rest was inedible. The manager was incensed that we were refusing to pay for the sandwich even though it was returned to the kitchen. Make sure you check and see that your food is done to your satisfaction BEFORE you eat it, otherwise you may not get a refund of any sort.
- ordered nachos. Pretty clogged with melted Cheez Whiz. Wouldn't recommend it.
- their hickory chicken burger is ok as far as burgers go.
- it seems like they are more geared to breakfast items. Otherwise,, it's standard deep- fried junk food.
- over all, this restaurant is a good stop-over place if you are on the road or if you need a breakfast with choices. Prices are reasonable, service is attentive and the place is clean. We would return.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pritchard, BC
“Denny's Restaurant - Bowridge Drive NE”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This review is for the location on Bowridge Drive (which I couldn't find an entry for). My husband I ate there yesterday morning. The place was packed. Our waitress was run off her feet and the service was slow/poor. We waited quite a while to order and were never offered a second cup of coffee (we had to track her down and ask). The food was pretty good (when it arrived) although my husband's toast was burnt-looking. The restaurant is fairly small and was jammed with large groups of people sitting in the aisles with chairs. It made it somewhat difficult to get to the washroom. The women's bathroom (sinks, toilets, floors) all looked clean, but the walls are some sort of whitish plaster or stucco. They are covered in dirt/grime - it almost looks like there may have been a water leak or something. Those walls definitely need a good cleaning and a fresh coat of white paint. Would I eat here again? Probably not.

• Visited August 2012