“Olives a wonderful tasty restaurant to enjoy.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Tapas, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Calgary, Canada
“Olives a wonderful tasty restaurant to enjoy.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Myself and 6 friends went to Olives for dinner for the first time last night. The location is great since most of us work downtown and it's in the heart of what's starting to be a trendy neighborhood. The decor and ambiance was very pleasant and relaxing. The open kitchen concept is great and it's very organized. The chefs were well put together as was all of the staff. The wait staff were wonderful and the bartender was very friendly. We took our time ordering since we hadn't gotten together in awhile. The server provided us with great recommendations on what we should try on the menu based on what kind of food we were looking for. We started with appetizers to share. The down side is that the appetizers are a little hard to share with large groups but with a couple they would be great.

We had the truffle French Fries with House Cut Potatoes and Truffle Pecorino Aoli, the meatball sampler, and the calamari provencale. The Fries were excellent and I recommend everyone try them when they go. The calamari was some of the best I have had and I've had a lot. The meat balls were so tasty and spiced perfectly, not dry or overcooked at all.

We all had a different entree and with 7 people it's a challenge to have everyone's meal out at the same time and at the right temperature but they pulled it off. I had the Fiocchi di Amore which was fantastic. The pesto sauce was excellent and everything was cooked perfectly. There wasn't too much or too little sauce which is normally a problem at most places. I also tried some of the gnocchi of my friends plate and it was delicious. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal and nobody had any complaints at all. Which is also unheard of for a table of 7 people all with different meals.

We then had dessert, I had the chocolate cake with was decadent. The gelato that it came with was creamy and not too sweet the perfect balance for the chocolate. Also no complaints around the table about dessert and there were 3 of the 5 desserts represented.

The portion sizes on everything was perfect. I was very full by the time we left but not overly stuffed because the plates were huge. I also had 2 caesars to drink and they were both spiced perfectly which I've found some places have a big problem doing. The prices were also very good. I expected to pay more for the food we ordered then we did.

Everyone at the table agreed that they would come back on their own and agreed that we found our new go to place for getting together. I will bring anyone looking for a nice place to eat here for sure. I look forward to going back many times to try all the things on the menu that looked good. I think I'm up to about a dozen things.

40% Recommend
Calgary, Canada
“Do not waste your time.....Terrible service trumps food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Tonight was my first experience at Olives. I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately it was a tremendous let down. I should have clued in as to what we were expecting when I called to move the reservation that I had made the month prior, there was no reservation on the books for me. So I gave all my information again! The funny thing is when we showed up......still no reservation. Whatever, in the grand scheme not a big deal! But it tells me the level of detail. We were showed to our table by a very nice, polite, attractive young lady. After having ample time to look over the menu....and ample time to make decisions our waiter took the time to pull himself away from screwing around by the computer to swing by. I asked for a simple flavored vodka and soda. He disappeared to ring it in and grab it. After about 8-10 minutes he saunters up sans drinks to ask "what do you want to eat?".... I had to remind him that we had ordered drinks. He assured us they were on their way. We had ordered several items to share and I asked several times to have it all at the same time.

After several more minutes he came by to tell us that they no longer carry flavored vodka, but he instead rang in regular vodka soda, if I want something different that we can try that next time I order a drink.

We had a few items come out that we determined he decided were our apps.C'est la vie....better luck next time.

The time between our first and second course were quite long. I shouldn't complain, the 4 top next to us had one meal come out then a 15 minute lapse before the other 3 meals came out. It was weird and awkward because one person had to eat alone. The manager came over and gave a half a$$ explanation of what went wrong to the ladies. They were upset but ...no one cared!

I will admit the food was really nice and fresh, at a great price point. However, it was horribly overshadowed by the beyond lack luster service.

My very favourite point was after a 10-15 minute wait to hear back from our server if I could have just gelato. We had to flag down a manager to grab a bill because our life was ticking away. I told her that we would appreciate canceling a potential dessert and just get out bill. I had also said " I just wanted to let you know that the service has been terrible" her response "you're telling me, we were just coming in for dinner and now I have to help out."....... All I can say is I feel terrible that I impeded on the owner/managers dinner plans. Going forward I'll make sure to never be back to free her evening.

Lastly, the amount of fruit flies in the dining room was disgusting.

I had such high expectations, it was such a let down. The poor service trumped the nice food...

Invermere, Canada
“Ok, but wouldn't go again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Had dinner at Olives on Friday night of the Labour Day long weekend, quiet quiet quiet, possibly because it was the long weekend, not sure. The pluses, liked the overall ambience, open cooking area with eating bar, easy nearby parking, and was able to use a coupon bought off Groupon, but unfortunately that's about it.

The negatives - started out poorly by being given the Lunch menu that we looked over for 10 minutes before being informed they'd made an 'oops' & replaced it with the Dinner version. When deciding what we might have as a pre-dinner cocktail, our server (who was pleasant but obviously really inexperienced) was of little help having no idea which beers were which and what of their wines to recommend.

Given how quiet it was and the relatively large number of cooking staff & servers, our meal was a longgggg time in coming. The tapas (which we ordered first as appies while we considered the entrees) arrived a minute before our main course. While the tapas were ok, the portion size didn't reflect the price, the meatballs were far too dry.

Our main courses (which we shared) were tasty but disappointing in terms of portion size versus price point. My chicken scaloppini entrée included 2 nicely cooked chicken portions with an interesting spicy clear sauce, but had all of three sprigs of rapini which were under-cooked and woody and sadly impossible to cut with a knife let alone actually eat. It came without any other side, thus, a pretty sparse entrée! My partner's mushroom risotto was fine, though portion size vs price was a concern.

We both agreed, we were happy to have bought a Groupon coupon, since the meal itself was not worth the full price we would have paid otherwise! That said, we won't be returning to Olives even with another Groupon deal, just too many better more consistent restaurants to enjoy.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Delicious, reasonably priced, and excellent service - highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Delicious, reasonably priced, and excellent service - highly recommended! They took special care to accomodate & adapt for allergies, and the chef even came out to our table to make sure we were enjoying our food - we were!! It was excellent, and arrived quickly. The restaurant uses food that is locally sourced, organic, and all natural. There are a wide variety of choices on the menu from salads, pizza and pastas to entrees such as ribeye steak, paella, chicken scallopini and seared sea bass. My favourite appetizers were the cpmplmentary bowl of a variety of different olives, and the artichokes stuffed with baby spinach, chevre, nicoise olives & topped with mozzarella. I also loved the "Paris with Love" pizza - duck confit, sun dried tomato, figs & triple creme brie! Yum!! (I had the gluten free option, which was excellent). I will definitely be going back - it is a new favourite!

• Visited August 2012