“Good clean and cheap stay.” 4 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
You added HI-Calgary City Centre to your Saves list
HI-Calgary City Centre
520 7th Avenue SE, Calgary, Alberta T2G0J6, Canada   |
“Good clean and cheap stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hostel was good. Rooms were clean and of a good size. Nice staff, large kitchen and breakfast was the best. Only a 10 min walk to downtown but the free trains are almost straight outside the door. That can cause a small problem, bit of late night noise from the train crossing, but apart from that, this place was quality.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Leduc, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This location is ideal for attending the Calgary Entertainment and Comic Book Expo, it's just a ten-minute walk to the stampede grounds and is perfectly adequate as far as hostels go.

The faculty is clean and staff are very friendly. They serve a continental breakfast and have tea and coffee all day as well, but bring a travel mug as they don't have any to-go cups.

Make sure to get the room you requested while booking, during our visit they did not have the room we booked available and we were disappointed as the room we requested had multiple beds and a bathroom and we were required to share a bed, which was not ideal.

Otherwise this is a great location for a decent price and we would definitely stay again in the future and recommend it for anyone looking for a less expensive option in a handy downtown spot.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Medicine Hat, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I arrived after a long flight from Manila. I found the room and bed very comfortable. It was only a short stay as I arrived after midnight. I left the next morning for Medicine Hat. I didn't even wake up for the free breakfast. I had the whole dorm room to myself, bonus!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the towards the court may be quieter. The LTR runs close by. I still had no problems sl...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2015

Great Hostel, the staff is very helpful. It's clean, a real sense of "sharing" and "community" in the breakfast as it has free food and a place for every guest in the refrigerator that is respected.

Free wi-fi and clean bathrooms.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
HI-Calgary Host... G, Assistant Manager at HI-Calgary City Centre, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your great review! We are glad that you enjoyed our location and amenities. Thank you for your kind words about the staff and I will be sure to let them know. We hope you can stay with us again soon!

Thanks,
Cassandra Moore
Assistant Manager
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2015 via mobile

I had urgent business in Calgary and need t place to sleep for 6-7 hours and this was perfect as they are placed close to the city centre. I arrived pretty late so unfortunately did not get any time to meet all the other travellers. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and the room itself (shared with 5 others) was sufficiently large and quiet. The washrooms were clean. The breakfast in the morning was good too. I only wish I had some more time to get to know more people there!

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2015

I've been here for a month, for work. The staff are great and the breakfast is a good start to the day. The location is great, and can only get better with the restoration of the east village. But mostly it is the people here that make me sad to leave. There is a real community feel here, all you have to be is open to talking to the people around you and you'll discover that. All in all 5/5 for me :) Dó.

Check this link to see the future of the East Village........

Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2015

I've stayed here quite a few times over the years, and I generally have a good experience. It is a hostel, and in the dorm rooms, privacy is at a premium. But, I have found that people are usually pretty respectful, if only because they are in the same boat. If privacy is an issue for you then there are private rooms available. There was a flood in Calgary a few years ago so they had to renovate. I stayed in a private room last summer and I found it was nice and quiet.

There are many travelers from around Canada, and the rest World, and meeting new people from all over is a highlight of my stays. I haven't traveled outside of the country yet, but staying in a hostel is probably the next best thing.

8th Ave. is within walking distance so if you need something to do in the evenings then there are a tun of pubs, and bars nice and close. and the nearest C train station is even closer.

If you're traveling on a budget, or want a great cultural experience then you should definitely consider HI Calgary Center. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo

Been to HI-Calgary City Centre? Share your experiences!