“Great hostel and very friendly service.” 4 of 5 stars

You added HI-Calgary City Centre to your Saves list
HI-Calgary City Centre
520 7th Avenue SE, Calgary, Alberta T2G0J6, Canada   |
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great hostel and very friendly service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

The city of Calgary has not much to show but when you go there is worth staying at the HI Calgary City Center.
I stayed there for all most one week to get some rest from previous traveling and preparing for the Rockies. The facilities are well maintained and clean as I like it. Some times the C-Tram crossing gate is bit anoying when you try to fall asleep but close the window and there is nothing between you and your sleep. The included breakfast (Panecackes, toast, jam, cofe etc.) is a good reasons to get up.
The receptionists were allways friendly and helpful (Thank you Jason for helping me with the car rental.).
So if your going to visit Calgary for whatever reason consider spending the nights in the City Center hostel.

• Stayed August 2012
HI-Calgary Host... M, Manager at HI-Calgary City Centre, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We're glad to hear you enjoyed our service.
Happy trails, Jason Wong, Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have stayed in this hostel for over a week now and I have to say its a really cool place to stay. The staff are just awesome. Really really helpful regardless of the questions; one ask, they are a complete fountain of knowledge. Great at recommending place to visit, things to do, where to get different stuff one needs, directions, whatever!

The choice of food at breakfast is awesome, fruit, muffins, pancakes, bread, and tea/coffee all day.

Bed are comfortable and the free towel is a real help. Shower have warm water and it's constant, unlike other hostel's I stayed where it's either too hot or freezing.

Location is really good, right in the heart of the city and close to trains and buses.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I recently stayed at HI Calgary and i realy enjoyed my time there, it's a realy nice hostel the staff are very very friendly and very helpfull, they put a lot of effort into keeping the place clean and beds are very comfortable. The hostel is close to downtown and has alot of free stuff included in the price. I highly recomend this place and would have no hesitation in staying here again.

Room Tip: Upstairs is further away from common areas so quieter
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for rating us. Hopefully you'll come back to visit!
Best regards, Jason Wong, Manager
Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Everything I can say is that the staff is just amazing and they do everything for you! They mail out my letter for me and storage my huge backpack for 2 weeks. Great free breakfast, free wifi and free towel. This hostel is very clean. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Vleuten, Utrecht, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

When we arrived we booked something wrong so me my dad and mom were very upset. Especially my mom had a hard time. But The manager and staff coped with it very well they were helping very well and they had a lot of patience. We got a room eventually. The room looked very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The lounge area is big and comfy and the kitchen is very big and nice. This hostel is very well organized and the staff is awesome! u also get a free breakfast with pancakes, toast, oatmeal, muffins, orange juice and much more!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The hostel has a nice and clean environment. Location is perfect! The people who rent the rooms are pretty decent. The staff is present 24 hours and is very friendly and prompt. Not to mention, cheap yet comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: Book a few days in advance. Try and see if co-ed rooms are available.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have to rave about the service I received at the HI-Calgary City Centre. They really went the extra mile in everything I needed assistance with. When I was checking out, I mentioned I would be traveling to Banff, Lake Louise, then Jasper. I was asked if I had already booked my reservations. I hadn't. They immediately offered to assist me and showed a list of all the places I could stay along the way, then called to make all the reservations. It made such a difference, especially since some were already booked for the weekend.

There is free parking in front and across the street from the hostel, which is rare in the downtown area.

The pancakes, bread, peanut butter, etc. are free.

The patio or outdoor sitting area has several picnic tables and grills.

There is free wifi, a big tv downstairs, pool table and games.

Overall, I felt very comfortable here and would be pleased to come back. Calgary is expensive, so having this hostel at a fair price made it feasable!

Room Tip: If traveling during the warm season, ask for a room downstairs. There isn't airconditioning, so...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to HI-Calgary City Centre? Share your experiences!