Hughes House Bed and Breakfast, Calgary

3 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms, Sleeps 6

Reviews from our community

Reviews from our community

Michdunlo...
“Above and beyond our expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

Kelly's kindness and attention to detail made staying in his beautiful home a real treat! The food was of high quality and the room was inviting and comfortable, as were the conversations. Kelly has truly mastered the art of hospitality.

5 of 5 stars Value 5 of 5 stars Rooms
5 of 5 stars Location 5 of 5 stars Cleanliness
Jul 11, 2014
I enjoyed spending some time with these guests and seeing their wonderful family dynamics. A great mom with a great kid and so happy they had a nice stay with us at the old house.Thank-you for your kind review.
Best to you,K
Amanda A
Casper
“a home away from home...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 for a stay in August 2013

what can one say about Hughes house, first and foremost the host of the house Kelly, he welcomes you with the warmth of family even though you are strangers. Then there is Blanco so friendly, I know I am an animal lover, but he is well behaved and loving wouldn't have been the same without him, plus his cheese trick, will always put a smile on your face. The home is warm with life and light. The people staying at Hughes house are so different and even in brief meetings you feel at home with all. I stayed three nights, the first night accidently fell asleep on the most comfortable bed I missed the fun of the outside deck that has a wonderful night view of downtown Calgary, the second night got to taste some port wine and enjoy the new guests that had just arrived, my last night I got to spend with Kelly and his girlfriend such warm and wonderful souls. Not once did I think oh, I am not sure about B&B's, the breakfast was so yummy, the fruit I had never tried before a delight, the conversation a welcome in the morning. There was always a warmth in Hughes house and I am so glad I decided to stay there and look forward to the next time I go on Holiday...thank you Kelly and Blanco

5 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: the way it felt like home
Traveling group: Solo
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Jul 11, 2014
It is such a pleasure to meet such great folks at the old house and this was special welcoming a guest with such a love of nature and little white dogs.Best to you in your fun future travels. Kelly&Blanco
Tootsie20
Toronto
“A safe, clean good night's sleep!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 for a stay in November 2012
people found this review helpful

The NE section of Calgary, near downtown, is really not one of the finest neighbourhoods in the city. The area retail locations are not somewhere one would stop for anything if in the medium to high income bracket. Area homes are small and wartimish. That said, it is a safe and comfortable area with easy access to downtown. Then there is Kelly's place on 11th ave NE near the Edmonton Trail. The web site explains it all very well. What it doesn't explain is that Kelly lives there and a lot of his reno projects are unfinished - in the kitchen and living room areas. The bedrooms are great if you don't mind the sound of pumps hauling the water up to the taps....or when you flush..or when others do the same. And, if you dont mind that Kelly is not a fussy clean freak, then you will overlook the eclectic decor and unfinished work and Blanco barking in the night. However, if you want a decent, cheap room and a good nights sleep, this is your place. It is not a hotel, so dont plan to hang around there. It is a place to sleep, shower and be gone. Kelly will do breakfast for you (15 bucks) and has been known to do dinner, but there are so many good restaurants in the city that this writer would recommend dining out. The place can house 5 guests comfortably and has a good reputation for doing so with most travellers.

5 of 5 stars How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 3 of 5 stars Overall condition of the property
5 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness
5 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: A bed and a shower
Liked least: Being worried about making too much noise (bathroom pumps)
Traveling group: Solo Traveler
Recommended for:
Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Nov 5, 2012
I'm not sure how we ended up with so many stars from this reviewer or what he basis his opinions on.He says " It is not a hotel, so don't plan to hang around there" but it was never presented as a hotel.He was surprised that I live there but what B&B owner doesn't? His room did have a waste water pump as he mentioned yet he failed to mention a heated marble floor and walk-in marble shower.[See pictures].His not wanting to hang around the house was by his choice as he refused an invitation to join a wonderful international group of travelers at the table for some great conversation.Over the years we've had a great variety of guests and I have seen B&B folks who relish meeting others in a warm friendly environment .On the other side of the coin we've also had folks who should be in the anonymity of a hotel.
I do thank this guest for the many stars he awarded us but also perhaps think his expectations when coming to a century home B&B were maybe a bit skewed.A 100 year old house is an on-going project and I don't feel so much an owner sometimes but a custodian for others after I'm gone.[A long time from now I hope].
Now as for that "Blanco dog barking in the night".He does sleep down in the basement with me about 5 feet from my head and he hasn't woken me yet.I guess my ears are in worse shape than I thought.
Hope to see you all soon.[No matter what income bracket you're in].
Cheers!,Kelly
$82
Night
Week
Month
Additional fees may be applied by owner
Owner
kelly s
Speaks English
Listed since : Oct 2011
Response Rate: 100 %
Response Time: Within a few hours
Calendar Updated: 122 days ago
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing