“Small portions, delicious, casual” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 2,769 Restaurants in Calgary
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Nepali
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: See reviews here: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1565687/restaurant/17th-Ave-SW/The-Himalayan-Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Small portions, delicious, casual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

The food here is great. Really fresh and well seasoned. The portions are small and it can be quite busy. We like the casual atmosphere but think the prices are a bit high for such small plates and relaxed dining. Nice staff, friendly and helpful. Nice place to take visitors.

Regina, Canada
“It's a good place to eat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Never come here on a Friday. The place is just full. The food was pretty good but I've had better. It must have been the spices for me or probably the fact that it was the first time I've had Nepalese food. The staff were friendly, they were just too busy to give you their full attention I guess. But that's just me. It was full for a reason I guess.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Hidden Treasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

From the outside, it looks like just an ordinary small food joint but once you're inside, it's like you were whisked to a dining room somewhere in Nepal. The one who greeted us and took our orders was very charming and explain the selection of food in the menu. Fantastic food and great service. I highly recommend this place.

• Visited August 2013
“Give this a try”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

A friend invited me to The Himalayan for lunch and I had no idea what to expect. I know nothing about Nepali cuisine, but it is delicious. If you are hesitating to try it because you aren't sure what to expect, I would describe the food as something like a cross between Indian and Chinese (sorry if this is somehow offensive, I mean that as a compliment). Really delicious food in a cozy, friendly atmosphere. I have been back several times for lunch and for supper and I plan to go again.

• Visited September 2013
“An Exciting Suprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This was my husband and I's first experience with Nepalese food and we had no idea what to expect. The menu is very accessible with each item described in enough detail to understand what we were getting. Each dish we ordered was so flavourful and amazing, we couldn't wait for our next dish to come out! For foodies out there who have never had Nepalese, a meal at The Himalayan makes for a fun date night out! Every first bite was a delightful surprise.

The staff are very friendly and attentive without being overbearing. They asked us if it was our first time and we very helpful in answering any and all questions we had. We will absolutely be back!

• Visited September 2013