“Great Dining Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 61 Bakeries in Calgary
Cuisines: French
“Great Dining Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

After working around the house all day we decided to treat ourselves to a casual dinner out. We Googled casual dining in Calgary and found this restaurant. We were not disappointed, it was a real treat and priced very fairly.

My wife had Beef Bourguignon and I had the special of the day, salmon with a saffron sauce.
We both enjoyed our meals and the serving sizes were outstanding. The sauce on my salmon was one of the best I have tasted and the piece of fish was larger than what I serve when we cook salmon at home, Same for the Beef Bourguignon,it came in a large bowl with plenty of veggies. I found the beef to be a little smoky for my taste but my wife loved it.

For dessert we shared what looked like a chocolate covered pretzel but in reality seemed to be some kind of chocolate cookie covered in chocolate. No other word to describe it but delicious.

We will go back, no doubt.

However there were a few minor irritations.
1. the server really rushed us to order our food. We were there at 17:30 and the place was not busy.
2. my diet coke was delivered in the bottle and I prefer when it is a fountain service and you can get refills. The price was the same as in restaurants that do have fountain service.
3. I never did see the bill. You go to the cash register to pay and she told us the amount and that was that!

By the way the total bill for 1 glass of wine, 2 meals, an expensive coke and 1 dessert was only $43.00; a great bargain, despicably since the food was excellent.

• Visited October 2013

“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here a number if times now and have never been disappointed. Great range of soup, sandwiches and entrees all with a little extra twist. And the bakery item are melt in the mouth fabulous. Parking can be difficult as there is building work going on, but it is worth hunting for a spot.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Calgary
“Mixed reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have been to this quaint bakery several times over the last year, however, our last experience was very disappointing. Those who ordered breakfast sandwiches were happy but those ordering eggs Benedict were quite disappointed. The eggs were cooked inconsistently; one egg soft poached and the other hard poached, and were scantly covered with mediocre hollandaise sauce.
My parents went here recently for dinner with another couple and there were also mixed reviews - the steak was very poor, but the veal shank was great.
In all experiences, the service is very slow. Plan to spend at least an hour here for brunch.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Nice spot for freshly made lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a nice small restaurant serving fresh interesting food. When I was there the patrons were mostly ladies who have the opportunity to lunch during the week. The menu now indicates that breakfast is served all day and I had in fact intended to try the Eggs Benedict but was sidetracked by one of the specials of the day- a fancified grilled cheese sandwhich with cranberries, apple and guyere, with a choice of soup or salad. I chose the French onion soup and was not disappointed. I guess I will have to go back for the Eggs Benedict.
I had previously bought pastries at the Glemnore Landing location and they were very good and reasonably priced.

• Visited April 2013
Alberta, Canada
“Great neighbourhood restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The food is nicely prepared and the service is good. My friend had the lobster macaroni and cheese and I had the lamb shank, both were delicious. The restaurant has a dozen or so tables, and they fill up quickly for lunch. My only criticism is that the restaurant's acoustics are loud, so I found it a little challenging to hear my friend speak if there was much back ground noise.

• Visited February 2013